+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff Council are killing the City.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Cardiff Council are killing the City.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Ad all of those routes are running up until Castle St. If people have to walk across the City Centre in order to make the connection, especially if disabled, then that's wrong. I don't know if there are alternatives, neither do you or Splott Parker, maybe one of us should take the time out to find out if there are any and not pursue the anecdotal line of evidence. I like the 'Picnic Area' or whatever it's called, i certainly wouldn't like the vulnerable and elderly having to make a long old walk across the city in order to make a connection. As for those who want to take their cars through the City Centre for no good reason, then **** them, they can get on a bus or find an ALTERNATIVE ROUTE , it's not that difficult with a little bit of planning and foresight. People just don't like change in my opinion, unless it ticks all of their 'prejudiced' boxes.

I had a bus lane constructed outside of my house for the best part of 6 months, maybe longer-i couldn't park close to my house, couldn't load my tools and had no pavement, plus constant noise, but i thought that in the interests of everyone that uses public transport that it would be worth it, no more getting completely stuck on Caerphilly rd at busy times for commuters and those who like to visit the City Centre (including myself) It's worked out well in my opinion. We had the usual Tory twats grizzling because they couldn't park within 3 inches of their house anymore, but hey ho, every cloud.. The point is that things change, they may not start out being perfect, there will be problems, hopefully they'll sort themselves out and the car drivers of cardiff and the surrounding areas are encouraged to take a little time out to plan their route, or use a bus or train.

It's not sinking in, is it !!!!!

THERE IS NO ALTERNATIVE ROUTE, APART FROM WESTERN AVENUE !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

Stop shouting. There is an alternative route, a skirt around the edge of the south of the City or the ely link rd via the m4. Rover way for those entering from the East. If somebody decides to drive through a built up area that is very busy with shoppers, workers, pedestrians., and people who like to sit out and have a picnic then they may be inconvenienced, tough shit, start planning a bit better, prioritise the route and need for travel.

Stop shouting. There is an alternative route, a skirt around the edge of the south of the City or the ely link rd via the m4. Rover way for those entering from the East. If somebody decides to drive through a built up area that is very busy with shoppers, workers, pedestrians., and people who like to sit out and have a picnic then they may be inconvenienced, tough shit, start planning a bit better, prioritise the route and need for travel.
    So the buses go on Rover Way and the M4, Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Where do the passengers get on, pray tell ???????????

So the buses go on Rover Way and the M4, Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Where do the passengers get on, pray tell ???????????
    I've got nothing to contribute to the bus debate, and at the risk of derailing the thread temporarily, did you hold the "m" down or press it 33 individual times? I think it's the second one because you seem to have tired yourself out by the time you got to the question marks

No, the cars go onto rover way and the M4, there is an alternative. Pay attention. The buses are going around the back into westgate st with connections on westgate st. I don't know if that's all of them, but like i previously said, the bus from pentwyn stops at Westgate st and a connection to Ely is from Westgate St, essentially, it looks like there are alternative connecting stops. I can understand why this may be difficult for some people, i really can.

That’s right, to reduce congestion, traffic fumes etc surely it’s better to keep as many direct main arteries open and use facilities already in place. There’s a huge amount of pedestrianised areas in town, the extra square metres gained by the closure of Castle St is dwarfed by the non traffic areas of Queen St, St Mary St, Working St, The Hayes etc. These places also have the required outlets on tap to provide for patrons. One thing town could with though is a free Wally train, hop on, hop off, would be a great asset to the aged and less mobile. As for Tuerto not sitting on his arse moaning on a messageboard Anyway, what are forums for? No moaners, no forums. It does seem as the council is determined to strangle retail in town and create a massive eating and drinking area, if this is the case it’s a shame for the shoppers who love a day out browsing the stores instead of driving to a soulless out of town centre.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    That’s right, to reduce congestion, traffic fumes etc surely it’s better to keep as many direct main arteries open and use facilities already in place. There’s a huge amount of pedestrianised areas in town, the extra square metres gained by the closure of Castle St is dwarfed by the non traffic areas of Queen St, St Mary St, Working St, The Hayes etc. These places also have the required outlets on tap to provide for patrons. One thing town could with though is a free Wally train, hop on, hop off, would be a great asset to the aged and less mobile. As for Tuerto not sitting on his arse moaning on a messageboard Anyway, what are forums for? No moaners, no forums. It does seem as the council is determined to strangle retail in town and create a massive eating and drinking area, if this is the case it’s a shame for the shoppers who love a day out browsing the stores instead of driving to a soulless out of town centre.
    It seems so mad that they've chosen Castle Street when St Mary's seems perfect that there has to be a reason for it. Thinking about it - stick that seating area in the middle of St Mary's St, and with the existing seating areas from the bars and restaurants maybe it wouldn't leave enough room either side for social distancing when walking? That's the only reason I can think of

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    It seems so mad that they've chosen Castle Street when St Mary's seems perfect that there has to be a reason for it. Thinking about it - stick that seating area in the middle of St Mary's St, and with the existing seating areas from the bars and restaurants maybe it wouldn't leave enough room either side for social distancing when walking? That's the only reason I can think of
    The council want to get people out of their cars and onto public transport. The main issue here is the cost, frequency and things like park and ride schemes. In essence, that money could come into the council coffers as opposed to rip off merchants like NCP (an absolute shithouse company) The car parks will still be there if people want to use them.

International

I made this point when they started this. The seating area could easily be sited in the already pedestrianised areas such as St Mary St Queen St, Hayes etc where the majority of restaurants bars and cafes actually are, but that is no good for the council because it does not give them an excuse to close Castle street AGAIN!!!!
    The closing of that street is the nub of all the other problems with buses and businesses losing customers and the council know it but the don't care!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I made this point when they started this. The seating area could easily be sited in the already pedestrianised areas such as St Mary St Queen St, Hayes etc where the majority of restaurants bars and cafes actually are, but that is no good for the council because it does not give them an excuse to close Castle street AGAIN!!!!
    The closing of that street is the nub of all the other problems with buses and businesses losing customers and the council know it but the don't care!
    You've chosen to pick the first part of what I wrote and ignore the bit where I suggest a reason for it?

International

You've chosen to pick the first part of what I wrote and ignore the bit where I suggest a reason for it?
    Sorry it wasn't done deliberately because i couldn't think of an answer or anything. I get what you say but soon they will have to go to 1 Metre + like everywhere else and then there will be. In addition to that I'd like to see how many people actually use Castle St on an average day (Not the fisrt dat in glorious sunshine) before I'd estimate whether it would be too busy to allow pedestrians to socially distance. But Queen St would be doable as would the Hayes with no problem, and there are far more Cafe's and Restaurants round the Hayes than in Castle St.

Sorry it wasn't done deliberately because i couldn't think of an answer or anything. I get what you say but soon they will have to go to 1 Metre + like everywhere else and then there will be. In addition to that I'd like to see how many people actually use Castle St on an average day (Not the fisrt dat in glorious sunshine) before I'd estimate whether it would be too busy to allow pedestrians to socially distance. But Queen St would be doable as would the Hayes with no problem, and there are far more Cafe's and Restaurants round the Hayes than in Castle St.
    If it's popular enough then how about both.

It looks like the council are trying to change attitudes and entitlement when it comes to people using their vehicles to enter one of the most polluted parts of the UK. A bit of a nudge wont hurt in my opinion, although it seems that they're not going to please everyone. It looks to me like there are viable connection docking points in the City Centre although i may be wrong. Feel free to do your own research instead of garnishing your own opinion based on absolutely no evidence what so ever, we will only find out if this works if it is trialed, if that means some people are put out then so be it.

The council aren't trying to strangle retail, a large percentage of their budget comes from business rates and rental. They are trying to push people out of their cars in order to make parts of the centre more attractive to shoppers and tourists. It's a risk for them but one worth taking in my opinion.

The council aren't trying to strangle retail, a large percentage of their budget comes from business rates and rental. They are trying to push people out of their cars in order to make parts of the centre more attractive to shoppers and tourists. It's a risk for them but one worth taking in my opinion.
    It would be a logical idea to get the public transport right first though, give people a decent option. Solar powered trams into the centre from all main suburbs would be a good start....with hubs on the edge of the city centre to all routes.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    It would be a logical idea to get the public transport right first though, give people a decent option. Solar powered trams into the centre from all main suburbs would be a good start....with hubs on the edge of the city centre to all routes.
    Completely agree, although i guess that the council are going down the cheaper route to start with, see if what they do canhelp stimulate business etc. Public transport has to be high on the list, make it affordable and viable for all, get people out of their cars as much as possible and make the city a more pleasant and less polluted place to spend time in.

International

The council aren't trying to strangle retail,
    They may not be trying but they're succeeding and don't seem to care
    a large percentage of their budget comes from business rates and rental. They are trying to push people out of their cars in order to make parts of the centre more attractive to shoppers and tourists.
    Closing Castle street is not the answer. Ask the shop keepers in the city and they will tell you when it is closed their business goers through the floor, and the only way to force shoppers out of their cars is to have a decent bus service and train/tram service which this city patently does not despite the council and the Welsh Gov talking about it a lot. We don't even have a bus station and they didn't seem to care about that for years. I've traveled to some of the smallest and most run down areas of Uk and one thing they all have in common is a bus station. The closing of Castle street is rendering the public transport system you espouse even less adequate than it was before.
    It's a risk for them but one worth taking in my opinion.
    Now with the intimated opening of pubs and restaurants for indoor customers there is even less need for Castle Street to be closed, unless of course the Welsh Government finds another excuse to be different and stop pubs from opening. another thing they don't care about, nor the jobs connected to them. We can all see the huge spike in infection in England since they allowed 1 metre+ distancing and pubs and restaurants to open. It's outrageous!

Banned

Now with the intimated opening of pubs and restaurants for indoor customers there is even less need for Castle Street to be closed, unless of course the Welsh Government finds another excuse to be different and stop pubs from opening. another thing they don't care about, nor the jobs connected to them. We can all see the huge spike in infection in England since they allowed 1 metre+ distancing and pubs and restaurants to open. It's outrageous!
    Some posts age well, this one didn't.