+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardiff Council are killing the City.

International

Cardiff Council are killing the City.

I have ranted on here before about the closing of streets. The council said they were closing Castle Street from the Angel but in fact they have 'closed' it from Cowbridge Road. If you want to go to Westgate street there are people standing at the barriers to let you in but if you don't already know it is permissible then you will go straight on. The signs tell you the road is closed, the filter lane from Cathedral Road is closed, so if you do want to turn left you stop all the traffic behind you. They have done the same thing up by the City Hall implying that Greyfriars road is closed but having people standing to move the barriers if you insist.
    Of course this had effectively denying access to the car parks on Greyfriars Road and Westgate Street to the general public who don't know the can ask to get in.
    Of course all this is deliberately planned by members of the council who are anti-car and have been trying to ban them from the city for years. However Central Government has conceded that they expect people to use cars more to avoid the breakdown in social distancing on public transport.
    as for public transport so espoused by the council, iot is virtually non-existent. And those buses which are running have the routes disrupted and rendered largely useless for travel to the city centre by the very actions that prevent people using their cars.
    In the centre itself the shops are dead. Talking to local traders this morning I found their general opinion was that the council is killing the business in the city. They have spent a fortune marking all the streets with social distancing markers which those people who are about completely ignore because they are stupid, (The sins not the citizens lol) and have employed people to enforce them using our tax money, who enforce nothing because they are standing around chatting ignoring social distancing.
    All the social distancing is clearly marked as 2 metres which hope full will be reduced to 1 metre shortly, thereby rendering everything they have done totally useless. Everyone I spoke to agreed that the covered area outside the castle is completely pointless because the council have effectively deterred people from coming into the city centre to use it, and if they had to build such a thing they should have put it in the centre of St Mary Street where it would be usable and did not disrupt traffic. This closure and everything affected by it is, in the words of the council, "For the foreseeable future".
    More than half thes hops are closed because the bosses know that it is a waste of time and money to open.
    The council is killing the city, and it is deliberate!!!!

Re: Cardiff Council are killing the City.

Gotta agree with every word, it’s as if I’d written it myself

Oh, apart from “hops”, I would have put SHOPS

Heisenberg

I assume that the "covered area" hasn't been completed yet. Maybe you could wait and see if the changes they're implenting actually work before having a meltown?

"All the social distancing is clearly marked as 2 metres which hope full will be reduced to 1 metre shortly, thereby rendering everything they have done totally useless" The Nightingale hospitals won't be required any more rendering them totally useless. Coronvirus won't be around forever rendering all of the changes we've made in our lives totally useless. Things are implemented when they have to be - until they are not required anymore. The point is: you can't not do something that's required simply because you won't always require it.

"The council said they were closing Castle Street from the Angel but in fact they have 'closed' it from Cowbridge Road. If you want to go to Westgate street there are people standing at the barriers to let you in but if you don't already know it is permissible then you will go straight on"

https://www.wales247.co.uk/the-cardi...fes%20to%20use.

Traffic Restrictions

Restrictions will be put in place on Lower St Mary Street,Westgate Street and Wood Street. While buses, taxis, cyclists and pedestrians will be allowed access, private vehicles will only be allowed access to car parks and for deliveries

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I assume that the "covered area" hasn't been completed yet. Maybe you could wait and see if the changes they're implenting actually work before having a meltown?

"All the social distancing is clearly marked as 2 metres which hope full will be reduced to 1 metre shortly, thereby rendering everything they have done totally useless" The Nightingale hospitals won't be required any more rendering them totally useless. Coronvirus won't be around forever rendering all of the changes we've made in our lives totally useless. Things are implemented when they have to be - until they are not required anymore. The point is: you can't not do something that's required simply because you won't always require it.

"The council said they were closing Castle Street from the Angel but in fact they have 'closed' it from Cowbridge Road. If you want to go to Westgate street there are people standing at the barriers to let you in but if you don't already know it is permissible then you will go straight on"

I'd argue that what's really killing the city is the constant destruction of any kind of cultural identity in the city in favour of student flats, coffee chains and Wetherspoons, not changes that have been made to help prevent the spread of a virus

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I'd argue that what's really killing the city is the constant destruction of any kind of cultural identity in the city in favour of student flats, coffee chains and Wetherspoons, not changes that have been made to help prevent the spread of a virus
    Agreed. We just recently had the thread about the potential closing of The Tramshed - and it's things of that ilk that that deserve the angst of the citizens (in my opinion).

Agreed. We just recently had the thread about the potential closing of The Tramshed - and it's things of that ilk that that deserve the angst of the citizens (in my opinion).
    Get your compass and maps out Tom, as you’re a bit away from THE CENTRE of Cardiff

International

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Gotta agree with every word, it’s as if I’d written it myself

Oh, apart from “hops”, I would have put SHOPS
    Cnut!!!!
    If you'd written it there'd have been more lol

Heisenberg

Get your compass and maps out Tom, as you’re a bit away from THE CENTRE of Cardiff
    Am I missing the joke here? Am I about to get whooshed?

It's well documented that more active travel results in better business for shops.

Am I missing the joke here? Am I about to get whooshed?

The original poster, is talking about access to our wonderful city, but you’ve brought a venue selling overpriced, warm, plastic receptacled booze, into the debate, which is not what the original poster, was aiming at.

You’ve given a politician’s reply, which has no baring on the debate .

Exactly the same as your “gun analogy” in another thread.

Go and have a nice rest and a cup of coffee

Cant see how reducing the 2 metre social distancing to 1 metre renders everything theyve done 'totally useless'. Even I can work out that it just means that someone can stand inbetween two 2 metre markers.

As for closing the roads, especially Castle Street , I thought this was done to enable the construction of outdoor eating areas to support the opening of pubs and restaurants, which I think is a great idea.

Heisenberg

The original poster, is talking about access to our wonderful city, but you’ve brought a venue selling overpriced, warm, plastic receptacled booze, into the debate, which is not what the original poster, was aiming at.

You’ve given a politician’s reply, which has no baring on the debate .

Exactly the same as your “gun analogy” in another thread.

Go and have a nice rest and a cup of coffee
    I already gave my response to xsnaggle though

The Tramshed is a music venue, Tone. There aren't many left in Cardiff so I thought you'd be one of the people wanting them to remain open before the live music scene in the city completely dies on it's arse.

What's wrong with the gun analogy I made?

Had my rest and cup of coffee earlier... now I'm on here

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I have ranted on here before about the closing of streets. The council said they were closing Castle Street from the Angel but in fact they have 'closed' it from Cowbridge Road. If you want to go to Westgate street there are people standing at the barriers to let you in but if you don't already know it is permissible then you will go straight on. The signs tell you the road is closed, the filter lane from Cathedral Road is closed, so if you do want to turn left you stop all the traffic behind you. They have done the same thing up by the City Hall implying that Greyfriars road is closed but having people standing to move the barriers if you insist.
    Of course this had effectively denying access to the car parks on Greyfriars Road and Westgate Street to the general public who don't know the can ask to get in.
    Of course all this is deliberately planned by members of the council who are anti-car and have been trying to ban them from the city for years. However Central Government has conceded that they expect people to use cars more to avoid the breakdown in social distancing on public transport.
    as for public transport so espoused by the council, iot is virtually non-existent. And those buses which are running have the routes disrupted and rendered largely useless for travel to the city centre by the very actions that prevent people using their cars.
    In the centre itself the shops are dead. Talking to local traders this morning I found their general opinion was that the council is killing the business in the city. They have spent a fortune marking all the streets with social distancing markers which those people who are about completely ignore because they are stupid, (The sins not the citizens lol) and have employed people to enforce them using our tax money, who enforce nothing because they are standing around chatting ignoring social distancing.
    All the social distancing is clearly marked as 2 metres which hope full will be reduced to 1 metre shortly, thereby rendering everything they have done totally useless. Everyone I spoke to agreed that the covered area outside the castle is completely pointless because the council have effectively deterred people from coming into the city centre to use it, and if they had to build such a thing they should have put it in the centre of St Mary Street where it would be usable and did not disrupt traffic. This closure and everything affected by it is, in the words of the council, "For the foreseeable future".
    More than half thes hops are closed because the bosses know that it is a waste of time and money to open.
    The council is killing the city, and it is deliberate!!!!
    Perhaps you should take this up with the council and get a proper reply. It might do you good.

International

I assume that the "covered area" hasn't been completed yet. Maybe you could wait and see if the changes they're implenting actually work before having a meltdown.
    The people in the Castle street shopping area complained about it as soon as it was announced. The council told them on the Saturday and did it on the Sunday. They all think it will damage their businesses not help them. As for the area being used for people to get drink from pubs when they reopen, a government minister said yesterday that pubs/restaurants would only be able to sell drink for open air areas "For which they already have a licence". That is clearly not the middle of castle Street

The social distancing markings on the street and in the arcades are useless because they are just nonsense. Go and take a look for yourself. No one is going to take the slightest notice of them because they are so clearly pointless. It has nothing to do with dealing with something that had to be done now. The fact that we will hopefully soon be going to 1 metre was something that the council may have thought worth considering before wasting the money.

The point I was making with regard to Westgate St and Greyfriars Rd is that the signing in place indicates that these roads are closed completely. the average motorist wouldn't realise he can have the barrier moved to get into a car park. so by what they have done the council have effectively deterred motorists from coming to the Centre to shop. That is one of the reasons that the place is deserted. Add to that the deliberate disruption of the Public Transport the council tell us all they want us to use and you have a series of actions which all directly affect the businesses in the Centre which the council purport to be helping, whilst in reality they are quite clearly damaging them

As for having a meltdown., Its my time and if I want to have a meltdown i will, and if you try to stop my I shall scream and scream until I'm sick. And I can you know!!

At the start of the 'pandemic' I commented on 'Authorities' - at whatever level - exerting their new found powers upon the rest of us. Goverments [aka scientists] talking about 'the new norm' at every opportunity. The 'new norm' will be a convenient excuse to justify an awful lot of 'changes' in the coming years..

I already gave my response to xsnaggle though

The Tramshed is a music venue, Tone. There aren't many left in Cardiff so I thought you'd be one of the people wanting them to remain open before the live music scene in the city completely dies on it's arse.

What's wrong with the GUN analogy I made?

Had my rest and cup of coffee earlier... now I'm on here

The government are responsible for “speed limits”, are all crashes their fault.

You cannot blame individual actions on someone else, people have got to take responsibility for their actions

International

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Cant see how reducing the 2 metre social distancing to 1 metre renders everything theyve done 'totally useless'. Even I can work out that it just means that someone can stand inbetween two 2 metre markers.

As for closing the roads, especially Castle Street , I thought this was done to enable the construction of outdoor eating areas to support the opening of pubs and restaurants, which I think is a great idea.
    It might have been if it had been done in consultation with the businesses it will affect but it wasn't, it was completely arbitary. I and others I have spoken to believe it is another step in the anti-car lobby in the council trying to close Castle St permanently. They have been trying to do it for years, and do so at every slight opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Perhaps you should take this up with the council and get a proper reply. It might do you good.
    And maybe include paragraphs Snag, that might help your cause.

Heisenberg

The government are responsible for “speed limits”, are all crashes their fault.

You cannot blame individual actions on someone else, people have got to take responsibility for their actions
    Now that's a poor analogy, Tone. They have literally put something in place for our safety by introducing speed limits.

If you want a speed limit analogy on this topic - how about if the government removed speed limits entirely... would they take no responsibility for the obvious increase in deaths up and down the country?

It might have been if it had been done in consultation with the businesses it will affect but it wasn't, it was completely arbitary. I and others I have spoken to believe it is another step in the anti-car lobby in the council trying to close Castle St permanently. They have been trying to do it for years, and do so at every slight opportunity.
    The road layout of the city has always been problematic when attempting to travel east west south of the a48 and vice versa. Closing Castle Street (whether temporarily or permanently) isnt going to help I agree.
    I guess these issues are more common among coastal cities which expanded away from their ports, as opposed to towns and cities which expanded from a more obvious central point.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    And maybe include paragraphs Snag, that might help your cause.
    Ah the old 'checking peoples english gambit'. It normally reflects a lack of argument!!

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It won't do me any good at all. If they took no notice of the combined voice of all the shop keepers in Castle street and its environs what makes you think for 1 moment they will take any notice of me?
    And the next thing is they'll be putting Council tax up ans saying it is to pay for the extra cost brought on by corona virus. But I'll bet you a dollar they will never reduce it again and say the extra costs have now been recovered. Not a chance!

But hey, all you perfect citizens out there who agree with everything that is done and never break the practice or spirit of the coronavirus measures, don't listen to me. go and see for yourselves, talk to the traders in the city, talk to the bus drivers talk to people trying to shop, see what they think.
    If some on here had their way we'd be in lockdown for ever, "For the good of the country". Are the council going to financially support all the businesses their action put out of business? you can answer that one yourselves

Heisenberg

It won't do me any good at all. If they took no notice of the combined voice of all the shop keepers in Castle street and its environs what makes you think for 1 moment they will take any notice of me?
    And the next thing is they'll be putting Council tax up ans saying it is to pay for the extra cost brought on by corona virus. But I'll bet you a dollar they will never reduce it again and say the extra costs have now been recovered. Not a chance!

But hey, all you perfect citizens out there who agree with everything that is done and never break the practice or spirit of the coronavirus measures, don't listen to me. go and see for yourselves, talk to the traders in the city, talk to the bus drivers talk to people trying to shop, see what they think.
    If some on here had their way we'd be in lockdown for ever, "For the good of the country". Are the council going to financially support all the businesses their action put out of business? you can answer that one yourselves
    Rather than just venting on here, if you write to them with your concerns you will at least get an official response, rather than just getting replies you don't like from posters who you think are lemmings.

C'mon, xsnaggle, you know it makes sense.

FIGHT THE POWER!

International

Rather than just venting on here, if you write to them with your concerns you will at least get an official response, rather than just getting replies you don't like from posters who you think are lemmings.

C'mon, xsnaggle, you know it makes sense.

FIGHT THE POWER!
    Venting? Venting? how very dare you.
    I may get a response from the council but i won't get an argument will I?

We just need a far better public transport system, electric trams maybe? It would look very nice all closed off but whether it’s practical doubt chucking loads of traffic through western ave, llandaff etc instead. Tell you what they should do is make Wellfield rd pedestrian a only, it’s always too busy anyway.