+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff Council are killing the City.

Re: Cardiff Council are killing the City.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post

The yellow lines look stupid and are pointless. Why bother putting yellow markings all over the pavement to tell me I can walk both ways along it?! I'm not angry about it, it just reminds me of busy work that people in my organisation are sometimes given. Deep down everyone knows that it is a massive waste of time and money, but we all know that councils around the country are doing this because if they don't they will be marching out of step.
    Totally agree with the fact the ones saying you can walk both ways are pointless, I'd argue maybe there's some benefit to the other ones, assuming at least some people adhere to them therefore creating a bit more social distancing. Can't say they bother me or "ruin the city" though, they're just some more lines on the ground.

Glad you had a better time at lunch anyway, the key factor is of course the weather

The biggest problem is that the city centre is a ghost town. What’s the point of all of this? There is nobody to serve. I live in England and come back here a few times a year. I went into town today and was quite shocked. Admittedly I do live near Covid-bashing bishops stortford, where as other posters have reported we live in a sort of bustling Eutopia of socially distanced coronavirus defiance. But even so... if it wasn’t for the bin men emptying the (presumably already empty) bins, I’d not have seen a single person on my walk from westgate st to the civic centre at 9.30am. It’s not quiet, it is dead.

And those yellow lines.... Jesus wept. I get that the council feels the need to do something, but all the same, someone must have realised what a colossal waste of time and effort that was. By lunchtime there were a few people about, none of them paying any attention to the yellow markings. I particularly like the ones where you can walk in either direction anyway. Could they at least have done it in a way that was more easily reversible?

I’ve heard quite a few people say that Wales was a bit more cautious than England but I hadn’t realised the extent of it, it was quite upsetting to see.
    See, I told you so !

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Totally agree with the fact the ones saying you can walk both ways are pointless, I'd argue maybe there's some benefit to the other ones, assuming at least some people adhere to them therefore creating a bit more social distancing. Can't say they bother me or "ruin the city" though, they're just some more lines on the ground.

Glad you had a better time at lunch anyway, the key factor is of course the weather
    Agree they don't "ruin the city", although I do think it is detremental and seems to have been put down with an unncessary degree of permanance. To be honest it would make no sense for anybody to use them when town was as quiet as it was yesterday. And the visual impact is so much greater when it is desloate. It didn't stand out anywhere near as much today, and I imagine that they may actually provide some very limited function on a busy Saturday afternoon. Yesterday it just looked like folly - planning for people who simply weren't there. I had assumed that was the new normal, but today proved me wrong. It makes a bit more sense today.

Agree they don't "ruin the city", although I do think it is detremental and seems to have been put down with an unncessary degree of permanance. To be honest it would make no sense for anybody to use them when town was as quiet as it was yesterday. And the visual impact is so much greater when it is desloate. It didn't stand out anywhere near as much today, and I imagine that they may actually provide some very limited function on a busy Saturday afternoon. Yesterday it just looked like folly - planning for people who simply weren't there. I had assumed that was the new normal, but today proved me wrong. It makes a bit more sense today.
    You should change it to Reasonable Nick mate, I think this the first time I've ever seen someone on the internet not only prepared to change their mind, but also to admit to it

You should change it to Reasonable Nick mate, I think this the first time I've ever seen someone on the internet not only prepared to change their mind, but also to admit to it
    I did it once.

Never really understand why people never admit to getting things wrong, especially on this board where "getting things wrong" is hardly a rare event.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    i go down western Avenue, through Canton.
    It's not an issue at the moment for obvious reasons, but getting to the CCS from our neck of the woods is going to be a trial if they close Castle Street permanently. It's often difficult enough as it is. If the option of going through the city centre is removed, Western Avenue will be busy to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    It's not an issue at the moment for obvious reasons, but getting to the CCS from our neck of the woods is going to be a trial if they close Castle Street permanently. It's often difficult enough as it is. If the option of going through the city centre is removed, Western Avenue will be busy to say the least.
    You're probably right, i'll have to leave 20 minutes earlier

I've just come back from town, it was really busy.
    It was the busiest this afternoon that I've seen it post-lockdown. I was genuinely surprised. Youngsters everywhere.

Questions for parents: is it now officially the summer holidays for the kids? If so, are they more likely to be out and about than they were a couple of weeks ago? Were they really staying indoors doing home schooling during what was supposed to be term time?

I went and had a look at the seating area. It's shit.

You're probably right, i'll have to leave 20 minutes earlier
    It's always very busy on match days, especially midweek, but the Butchers minibus is OK as it uses the bus lanes.

They'll be ****ed now, although when it actually becomes an issue is anyone's guess.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

I went and had a look at the seating area. It's shit.
    I would love to have watched you go and have a look at the seating area...stomping over there, a roll of the eyes, maybe a muttered "load of f**king bollocks" before stomping away again

Anyone solved the buses problem yet? St Mary St was the obvious street to go 100% Continental, that’s where the majority of bars and food outlets are and would be managed by them, it would have meant minimal disruption and a lot cheaper no doubt. I’m wracking my brains to think of places in Castle & Duke Street that’ll provide table service, The Rummer? Revolution? The little Portuguese cafe? Or is it going to be an area for people to bring and eat their Greggs and Macdonalds delicacies? Are the tables allied to any establishments or are they free for anyone to sit there? If so, who is going to clean them in preparation for the next lot to sit down? From the photo I’ve seen it doesn’t look very inviting, I do hope the people that use the area treat it with respect and not have the ‘some other bugger can pick my litter up’ attitude.

I would love to have watched you go and have a look at the seating area...stomping over there, a roll of the eyes, maybe a muttered "load of f**king bollocks" before stomping away again
    You weren't following me, were you?

The only bit you missed was the reference to cupid stunts or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Anyone solved the buses problem yet? St Mary St was the obvious street to go 100% Continental, that’s where the majority of bars and food outlets are and would be managed by them, it would have meant minimal disruption and a lot cheaper no doubt. I’m wracking my brains to think of places in Castle & Duke Street that’ll provide table service, The Rummer? Revolution? The little Portuguese cafe? Or is it going to be an area for people to bring and eat their Greggs and Macdonalds delicacies? Are the tables allied to any establishments or are they free for anyone to sit there? If so, who is going to CLEAN THEM in preparation for the next lot to sit down? From the photo I’ve seen it doesn’t look very inviting, I do hope the people that use the area treat it with respect and not have the ‘some other bugger can pick my litter up’ attitude.

The SEAGULLS Steve, the SEAGULLS, will leave them spotless

Anyone solved the buses problem yet? St Mary St was the obvious street to go 100% Continental, that’s where the majority of bars and food outlets are and would be managed by them, it would have meant minimal disruption and a lot cheaper no doubt. I’m wracking my brains to think of places in Castle & Duke Street that’ll provide table service, The Rummer? Revolution? The little Portuguese cafe? Or is it going to be an area for people to bring and eat their Greggs and Macdonalds delicacies? Are the tables allied to any establishments or are they free for anyone to sit there? If so, who is going to clean them in preparation for the next lot to sit down? From the photo I’ve seen it doesn’t look very inviting, I do hope the people that use the area treat it with respect and not have the ‘some other bugger can pick my litter up’ attitude.
    There must be a reason for it. But im sat on st marys st now having a sneaky glass of wine, and its rammed. Waiters having to ferry things across ro tables nowhere near their actual bar. Its nice (if slow), but could really use a sort of covered area in the middle with parasols and additional seating. No idea why they went with castle st but mayne there is a logic to it that we mortals cant see

Why don't you Email the council with your concerns, or speak to your local councillor.

Why don't you Email the council with your concerns, or speak to your local councillor.
    What!!!!!! With all the knowledge on here? ..... Oh hang on, you were sending buses from Rumney, Llanrumney, Llanedeyrn, Pentwyn and other places from that way and buses from Whitchurch, Llanishen and other suburbs north on a magical mystery tour to somehow reach Tudor Rd the other day:

What!!!!!! With all the knowledge on here? ..... Oh hang on, you were sending buses from Rumney, Llanrumney, Llanedeyrn, Pentwyn and other places from that way and buses from Whitchurch, Llanishen and other suburbs north on a magical mystery tour to somehow reach Tudor Rd the other day:
    I really wasn't, trying to work out what the plans are for the bus routes. I don't really care that much, you obviously do, so why don't you get in touch with the local authority and take your concerns to them, as you're asking the questions.

I've been wondering about this too. There's an app involved, of course. Local pubs and restaurants can pay to join up, customers can check the menus of the places involved and order through the app. As far as I understand it, the restaurant just has to come up with the meal and the rest is taken care of, presumably by some kind of Deliveroo type service.

I'm probably being thick but I can't work out how, for example, 2 steak and kidney pies, peas, chips and gravy, a pint of lager and a glass of wine are going to make their way from Churchill Way to Castle Street in one piece. What happens if there's a problem with the meal? Plates and cutlery? Or will you be expected to eat a steak off a paper plate with a plastic knife and fork? Toilet facilities?

Open tomorrow. I'm assuming the Council aren't just going to wing it but I'm missing something for now.

V
    We certainly need much better public transport, cheap, regular and not for profit if CCC are going down this route (excuse pun) or park an ride schemes that offer real value-i'd be all for it then.
    Get in touch with the council or your local councillor then and suggest it, follow the advice that you give to anyone with a different view to you.........Please don’t tell us that you already have

Aren't the buses going to come in the back way, via Tudor Rd? I'm sure they will.
    C’mon now Tuerto, all this ‘Get in touch or email your councillor’ is a load of bollocks, if we got in touch with ‘whoever’s supposed to be in charge’ that’d be the end of this messageboard. Anyway, you asked the above bus route questioned and were answered quite thoroughly yet you didn’t come back with an alternative solution route wise. But then again, you drive down the ever more congested Western Avenue to reach town or The City creating traffic chaos on Penhill, Llandaff Rd and Cathedral Rd with everyone heading in the same direction because there’s no other way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    I've been wondering about this too. There's an app involved, of course. Local pubs and restaurants can pay to join up, customers can check the menus of the places involved and order through the app. As far as I understand it, the restaurant just has to come up with the meal and the rest is taken care of, presumably by some kind of Deliveroo type service.

I'm probably being thick but I can't work out how, for example, 2 steak and kidney pies, peas, chips and gravy, a pint of lager and a glass of wine are going to make their way from Churchill Way to Castle Street in one piece. What happens if there's a problem with the meal? Plates and cutlery? Or will you be expected to eat a steak off a paper plate with a plastic knife and fork? Toilet facilities?

Open tomorrow. I'm assuming the Council aren't just going to wing it but I'm missing something for now.
    Exactly, an eating area surely needs to be near the places that are providing the food otherwise it becomes a picnic area which in the UK haven’t got a good reputation for being litter free. Delmi is right, not sure if on this thread or another thread, some people in this country seriously need educating on the litter situation.

V

Get in touch with the council or your local councillor then and suggest it, follow the advice that you give to anyone with a different view to you.........Please don’t tell us that you already have
    I have, i'm a member of the Labour Party, i have put this suggestion forward on a few occasions at meetings. I don't sit on my arse moaning on a messageboard, i try to get involved a little bit. Maybe you should, you seem to know what's right and wrong on this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post

I think that's the general idea - giving restaurants the chance to serve up food 'outdoors' to overcome social distancing rules. A 20 minute wait for a cold[ish] paper plate of mush with plastic cutlery, warm beer, stinking portaloos.

C’mon now Tuerto, all this ‘Get in touch or email your councillor’ is a load of bollocks, if we got in touch with ‘whoever’s supposed to be in charge’ that’d be the end of this messageboard. Anyway, you asked the above bus route questioned and were answered quite thoroughly yet you didn’t come back with an alternative solution route wise. But then again, you drive down the ever more congested Western Avenue to reach town or The City creating traffic chaos on Penhill, Llandaff Rd and Cathedral Rd with everyone heading in the same direction because there’s no other way to go.
    How can i get back with alternative routes-how many ****ing routes are there? I asked a question-because i don't have the answer, it's not for me to provide a route, simply because i think something is ok, that doesn't mean that i have to come up with the solutions, that's not my job.