+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff Council are killing the City.

Re: Cardiff Council are killing the City.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    It wasn't open at lunch time today. Or if it is, nobody was using it. I will check in again tomorrow.

Forming a view on the success or failure of this parasols-in-the-road-sitting-area-for-bars-in-a-different-area idea is sitting far higher in my list of priorities than it probably should be.
    Me too, don't worry. And my interest in its success or failure should be based on something far deeper than who it's going to annoy on here but it's definitely influencing my thinking for now.

I did come back this morning to say the opening had been delayed till Friday, even though signs were up yesterday saying it would be open today. I think it looks good personally although, as I said, I'm struggling to grasp some elements of how it will work. We'll soon see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Me too, don't worry. And my interest in its success or failure should be based on something far deeper than who it's going to annoy on here but it's definitely influencing my thinking for now.

I did come back this morning to say the opening had been delayed till Friday, even though signs were up yesterday saying it would be open today. I think it looks good personally although, as I said, I'm struggling to grasp some elements of how it will work. We'll soon see how it goes.
    Apologies, missed it. We could do with a sticky that shows the latest status, and ideally a link to a live webcam showing the area (this sort of thing was all the rage in the noughties).

I've spent far more time thinking about this than I have the second leg tomorrow night.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    It would be a logical idea to get the public transport right first though, give people a decent option. Solar powered trams into the centre from all main suburbs would be a good start....with hubs on the edge of the city centre to all routes.
    Completely agree, although i guess that the council are going down the cheaper route to start with, see if what they do canhelp stimulate business etc. Public transport has to be high on the list, make it affordable and viable for all, get people out of their cars as much as possible and make the city a more pleasant and less polluted place to spend time in.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Apologies, missed it. We could do with a sticky that shows the latest status, and ideally a link to a live webcam showing the area (this sort of thing was all the rage in the noughties).

I've spent far more time thinking about this than I have the second leg tomorrow night.
    There's a game tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Here's a current list of places that are signed up, more on the way

Bute & Co
    Bwyta Bwyd Bombai (3B Cafe)
    Coconut Tree
    Dusty Knuckle
    Fab Burgers
    Grazing Shed
    Heavenly Desserts
    Marco Pierre White’s
    Mowgli Street Food
    Wally’s Delicatessen
    Wok to Walk
    Zero Degrees
    Forbidden Planet not on the list. Gutted.

It'll be interesting to see what criteria is required to sit there and whether or not they will waste more of our council tax on security. I suspect they'll have to. I imagine it will prove popular with pissheads on warm weekend evenings. And they'll bring their own booze.

Here's a current list of places that are signed up, more on the way

Bute & Co
    Bwyta Bwyd Bombai (3B Cafe)
    Coconut Tree
    Dusty Knuckle
    Fab Burgers
    Grazing Shed
    Heavenly Desserts
    Marco Pierre White’s
    Mowgli Street Food
    Wally’s Delicatessen
    Wok to Walk
    Zero Degrees
    Any idea how it’ll work Delmi, will the outlets that are signed up have staff in the area taking orders from tables or would the customer need to phone the establishment themselves giving a table number?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Forbidden Planet not on the list. Gutted.

It'll be interesting to see what criteria is required to sit there and whether or not they will waste more of our council tax on security. I suspect they'll have to. I imagine it will prove popular with pissheads on warm weekend evenings. And they'll bring their own booze.
    Seeing as South Wales has a fine tradition of nurturing piss heads, it's probably a given, although even standard working people in this region seem pretty proud of their 'piss head' status-'luvs the 'Diff, 'luvs the booze'

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Any idea how it’ll work Delmi, will the outlets that are signed up have staff in the area taking orders from tables or would the customer need to phone the establishment themselves giving a table number?
    Probably App based (that's going to spin a few out) if the food is to be delivered. It's actually not my cup of tea, i wouldn't go for it, although plenty of people will (if they don't i'll be hearing about it) and they'll be spending money in said establishments-hopefully it'll work out well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Seeing as South Wales has a fine tradition of nurturing piss heads, it's probably a given, although even standard working people in this region seem pretty proud of their 'piss head' status-'luvs the 'Diff, 'luvs the booze'
    I'm just glad the council have stepped forward and created an environment that gives Elevens Bar a chance of surviving the current crisis. By all accounts, the owner's on the breadline and has been working his guts out during the pandemic to earn a few quid. Hopefully, the council's intervention will provide him with some relief and he can start charging people £15 for his burgers again soon.

Probably App based (that's going to spin a few out) if the food is to be delivered. It's actually not my cup of tea, i wouldn't go for it, although plenty of people will (if they don't i'll be hearing about it) and they'll be spending money in said establishments-hopefully it'll work out well.
    That’s a no from me then, unfortunately, not into that app lark, given out bank details to a place that I’m not really sure of for food that I haven’t seen. I know some folk are comfortable with that system but I’m of the persuasion that you square up for a sit down meal after you’ve had it.

"download our app." No thank you.

apparently called the yoello app, not familiar with it, but I'm going to give it a go

I think it's a webapp so no download needed

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    That’s a no from me then, unfortunately, not into that app lark, given out bank details to a place that I’m not really sure of for food that I haven’t seen. I know some folk are comfortable with that system but I’m of the persuasion that you square up for a sit down meal after you’ve had it.
    It's a system called Yoello, I've never heard of it before but from what I can see I think you go to the restaurant, scan a QR Code with your phone (not via an app, via the website) - that then gives you access to the menu, and ability to order and pay. Whether you do that in the restaurant then walk over or do it from the table I have no idea, from the table though probably for social distancing reasons.

Walesonline have confused the issue by sharing a tweet from FORCardiff encouraging people to download the app but their tweet is aimed at getting businesses to sign up, not customers. As far as I can see it's not exactly been explained yet how it'll work for customers, maybe there'll be instruction boards put up or something. It won't be rocket science though.

I think with the seating area not being in the venue I'd imagine you have to pay upfront which rules you out unfortunately. Unless a Pizza Express or somewhere else that you know what you're getting signed up?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-...-open-18677644

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    "download our app." No thank you.
    See my post above about WalesOnline, there is no app for customers, it doesn't even exist on the app store

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I'm just glad the council have stepped forward and created an environment that gives Elevens Bar a chance of surviving the current crisis. By all accounts, the owner's on the breadline and has been working his guts out during the pandemic to earn a few quid. Hopefully, the council's intervention will provide him with some relief and he can start charging people £15 for his burgers again soon.
    Think of the workers......

It's a system called Yoello, I've never heard of it before but from what I can see I think you go to the restaurant, scan a QR Code with your phone (not via an app, via the website) - that then gives you access to the menu, and ability to order and pay. Whether you do that in the restaurant then walk over or do it from the table I have no idea, from the table though probably for social distancing reasons.

Walesonline have confused the issue by sharing a tweet from FORCardiff encouraging people to download the app but their tweet is aimed at getting businesses to sign up, not customers. As far as I can see it's not exactly been explained yet how it'll work for customers, maybe there'll be instruction boards put up or something. It won't be rocket science though.

I think with the seating area not being in the venue I'd imagine you have to pay upfront which rules you out unfortunately. Unless a Pizza Express or somewhere else that you know what you're getting signed up?

Sandwiches & a flask for my party by the looks

Yoello seem to be a Cardiff based software developer. The following info is for the businesses who will be using it - https://www.yoello.com/

How does it work?

By simply scanning a QR code in a venue, a customer can access menus, make an order and pay. There is no need to download an app, and this can be done on any smartphone via any internet browser.

Merchants have a fully customisable profile on Yoello which customers can access to find venue information, menus, promotions and more!

Mobile Ordering made easy.

Yoello is an FCA regulated (Financial Conduct Authority) payment provider, we deliver secure payment solutions through a variety of platforms.

Our App-less Mobile Ordering solution has the lowest transaction fees, helping your business operate safely and efficiently with social distancing through affordable mobile payments and table ordering.

As for Wales Online they are unfortunately a shadow of what they used to be. 'Reporters' are just social media searchers who repost what they find online

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    To be honest I absolutely love the sound of it, especially on a sunny day

To be honest I absolutely love the sound of it, especially on a sunny day
    Not that many seats there is there?

International

It seems so mad that they've chosen Castle Street when St Mary's seems perfect that there has to be a reason for it. Thinking about it - stick that seating area in the middle of St Mary's St, and with the existing seating areas from the bars and restaurants maybe it wouldn't leave enough room either side for social distancing when walking? That's the only reason I can think of
    I made this point when they started this. The seating area could easily be sited in the already pedestrianised areas such as St Mary St Queen St, Hayes etc where the majority of restaurants bars and cafes actually are, but that is no good for the council because it does not give them an excuse to close Castle street AGAIN!!!!
    The closing of that street is the nub of all the other problems with buses and businesses losing customers and the council know it but the don't care!

International

The council aren't trying to strangle retail,
    They may not be trying but they're succeeding and don't seem to care
    a large percentage of their budget comes from business rates and rental. They are trying to push people out of their cars in order to make parts of the centre more attractive to shoppers and tourists.
    Closing Castle street is not the answer. Ask the shop keepers in the city and they will tell you when it is closed their business goers through the floor, and the only way to force shoppers out of their cars is to have a decent bus service and train/tram service which this city patently does not despite the council and the Welsh Gov talking about it a lot. We don't even have a bus station and they didn't seem to care about that for years. I've traveled to some of the smallest and most run down areas of Uk and one thing they all have in common is a bus station. The closing of Castle street is rendering the public transport system you espouse even less adequate than it was before.
    It's a risk for them but one worth taking in my opinion.
    Now with the intimated opening of pubs and restaurants for indoor customers there is even less need for Castle Street to be closed, unless of course the Welsh Government finds another excuse to be different and stop pubs from opening. another thing they don't care about, nor the jobs connected to them. We can all see the huge spike in infection in England since they allowed 1 metre+ distancing and pubs and restaurants to open. It's outrageous!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Now with the intimated opening of pubs and restaurants for indoor customers there is even less need for Castle Street to be closed, unless of course the Welsh Government finds another excuse to be different and stop pubs from opening. another thing they don't care about, nor the jobs connected to them. We can all see the huge spike in infection in England since they allowed 1 metre+ distancing and pubs and restaurants to open. It's outrageous!
    Disagree personally think it’s the opposite. Allows more space to spread out considering the uptake in punters flocking to the areas

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I made this point when they started this. The seating area could easily be sited in the already pedestrianised areas such as St Mary St Queen St, Hayes etc where the majority of restaurants bars and cafes actually are, but that is no good for the council because it does not give them an excuse to close Castle street AGAIN!!!!
    The closing of that street is the nub of all the other problems with buses and businesses losing customers and the council know it but the don't care!
    You've chosen to pick the first part of what I wrote and ignore the bit where I suggest a reason for it?