+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardiff Council are killing the City.

International

Re: Cardiff Council are killing the City.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    They haven't been implemented yet, have they? (We're still talking about the reasons for closure of Castle Steeet, I assume). Genuine question as I've not been into the centre of town lately.
    They implemented the road closures 2 weeks ago for what good reason I dont know.

International

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    The thread is about The City of Cardiff!
    My original post was with regard to the council killing the shops in the city centre. Nothing to do with the tramshed or anywhere other than what I mentioned. I dont know much about the tramshed saga but I thought that was a commercial decision not a council one.

International

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    Its easy to criticise what the Wag and City council are doing, but if you think its so wrong what is your solution?
    My solution is to leave it alone and do nothing. They are just heaping more misery on people and it us all both useless and unnecessary.

They haven't been implemented yet, have they? (We're still talking about the reasons for closure of Castle Steeet, I assume). Genuine question as I've not been into the centre of town lately.
    I just had a look at a map of the city centre changes and it seems the closures took place on 22 June.

I notice that there is no longer any way of crossing the river Taff in the city centre as both the Castle st bridge and the Wood st bridge are closed to private cars

It seems crazy that our two main city centre roads east to west are closed

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    They implemented the road closures 2 weeks ago for what good reason I dont know.
    Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    I just had a look at a map of the city centre changes and it seems the closures took place on 22 June.

I notice that there is no longer any way of crossing the river Taff in the city centre as both the Castle st bridge and the Wood st bridge are closed to private cars

It seems crazy that our two main city centre roads east to west are closed
    Sorry, I thought it was clear what I meant (as Delmbox asked the same question as me)... The implementation that we're talking about is the 'covered seating area'.

I said "We're still talking about the reasons for closure of Castle Street, I assume" - not the closure itself.

If it's not completed, then surely we don't know whether it's been worth the short-term pain for long-term gain yet (I hate that saying).

International

Sorry, I thought it was clear what I meant (as Delmbox asked the same question as me)... The implementation that we're talking about is the 'covered seating area'.

I said "We're still talking about the reasons for closure of Castle Street, I assume" - not the closure itself.

If it's not completed, then surely we don't know whether it's been worth the short-term pain for long-term gain yet (I hate that saying).
    It will never be worth it while it damages the very businesses it is allegedly designed to protect. I think it is enlightening that the council did not consult the businesses concerned nor did they tell them of their plans at all until the Saturday afternoon prior to the sunday morning closing.

It will never be worth it while it damages the very businesses it is allegedly designed to protect
    You may end up right but none of us can say at this stage whether this is true or not

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Speaking as somebody who walks through the city centre most working days under normal circumstances, who walked through the city centre most working days during the height of the pandemic and who has walked through the city centre most working days since the changes were introduced, I can confirm without fear of contradiction that what the council have done is an absolute, complete and utter ****ing shitshow with no benefits whatsoever.

To those who are suggesting it's OK, I'd ask you one question: have you actually witnessed this farce for yourselves?
    Ah the old " you havent played the game yourself " what do you know?

How fortunate we are to have so many experts on this board .

The gunman for walking through town .

CCFc30 or whatever his name is for everything else ..

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Perhaps you should take this up with the council and get a proper reply. It might do you good.
    A proper reply from the council? Stop it. You're killing me 😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    omg we're best friends
    So neither you or Heisenberg have been into the centre since these changes occurred?
    Bit like 2 boxers giving their opinions on rule changes in synchronised swimming 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Ah the old " you havent played the game yourself " what do you know?

How fortunate we are to have so many experts on this board .

The gunman for walking through town .

CCFc30 or whatever his name is for everything else ..
    What a daft response! Surely someone who regularly walks through the city centre on a daily basis, is gonna know more about the fu*k up the council has created, than someone who doesn’t ?

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    A proper reply from the council? Stop it. You're killing me 😂😂
    I agree. Some months ago I wrote to Caro Wild councillor with responsibility for transport pointing out the fact that Cardiff seems to be the 'speed bump' centre of the UK and the dangers of these around our schools with traffic braking then accelerating as they navigate the bumps, thereby increasing NO2 levels and pollutants from brake dust.

Many towns in the UK use flashing warning signs near schools and these have the advantage of functioning only when schools are open, whereas bumps are operational 24/7.

Did I get a reply....still waiting.

All Caro Wild seems concerned about is reducing the high NO2 levels in Castle St, which apparently is an issue exceeding EU regulations, so he'll be well pleased that the road is now closed to traffic.

Cardiff's plans for the area will, in my opinion, make it focal point for eating and drinking coupled with anti-social behaviour, and families out for a quiet meal will no doubt avoid it.

And where are the public toilet facilities in the area? The castle wall?

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    I agree. Some months ago I wrote to Caro Wild councillor with responsibility for transport pointing out the fact that Cardiff seems to be the 'speed bump' centre of the UK and the dangers of these around our schools with traffic braking then accelerating as they navigate the bumps, thereby increasing NO2 levels and pollutants from brake dust.

Many towns in the UK use flashing warning signs near schools and these have the advantage of functioning only when schools are open, whereas bumps are operational 24/7.

Did I get a reply....still waiting.

All Caro Wild seems concerned about is reducing the high NO2 levels in Castle St, which apparently is an issue exceeding EU regulations, so he'll be well pleased that the road is now closed to traffic.

Cardiff's plans for the area will, in my opinion, make it focal point for eating and drinking coupled with anti-social behaviour, and families out for a quiet meal will no doubt avoid it.

And where are the PUBLIC TOILETS facilities in the area? The castle wall?
    You’re taking “the piss” now

Like you, I’m still waiting for a reply from the council, waste of space, the lot of them, EVEN THE ONES ON HERE !!!!!

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    So neither you or Heisenberg have been into the centre since these changes occurred?
    Bit like 2 boxers giving their opinions on rule changes in synchronised swimming 😂
    Come on, be fair. Neither of us has even given an opinion. We have simply asked if the work has been completed on the thing that's apparently the cause of the disruption in the city centre and asked whether people can know for sure that it won't be worth it when the potential positive effects of the idea is implemented.

It may very well be the shittest thing to happen to Castle Street this side of the money spunked away on that Christmas 'Tree' (in the loosest sense) that they ended up having to replace, but do we know that yet?

Aren't you usually one of the first posters to criticise others for overreacting to things that haven't even happened yet? I thought you'd appreciate the stance of 'wait and see' for a change.

If you hop over the wall just in the corner like I used to all the time after a few pints of hurlimans in the four bars, the moat is just by there for a slash. I’m sure it will be fine, you don’t want to slip on to the iron railing spikes mind when going back and forth

Come on, be fair. Neither of us has even given an opinion. We have simply asked if the work has been completed on the thing that's apparently the cause of the disruption in the city centre and asked whether people can know for sure that it won't be worth it when the potential positive effects of the idea is implemented.

It may very well be the shittest thing to happen to Castle Street this side of the money spunked away on that Christmas 'Tree' (in the loosest sense) that they ended up having to replace, but do we know that yet?

Aren't you usually one of the first posters to criticise others for overreacting to things that haven't even happened yet? I thought you'd appreciate the stance of 'wait and see' for a change.

It’s blocking off the whole City !!!!!
    All traffic will practically be diverted onto Western Avenue, then down “SINGLE LANE”, Cardiff Road.

Anyone, and I mean anyone, can see it’s a pointless exercise. Traffic on Western Avenue, will be pumping shit out of their exhaust pipes at an alarming rate.
    City will be gridlocked

I have always thought that street could be better mind. It’s in a great location in front of the castle and where several streets and arcades meet, and of course womanby street, but so many empty units there. I almost purchased the small cafe which is along that stretch about 15 years ago, they just wanted too much rent on it and a long lease for me at the time. So much footfall, but there’s nothing there, even where the motor bike shop used to be for years is still empty and the castle arms pub is it, is still closed.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    All traffic will practically be diverted onto Western Avenue, then down “SINGLE LANE”, Cardiff Road.

Anyone, and I mean anyone, can see it’s a pointless exercise. Traffic on Western Avenue, will be pumping shit out of their exhaust pipes at an alarming rate.
    City will be gridlocked
    It’s bad enough there already, maybe they will revisit the masterplan to open up a road cutting through llandaff field by the riding school to pontcanna. That went down really well before.....

Heisenberg

City will be gridlocked
    If that's the case then I'll join you in criticising them, Tone. I'll just wait until the things you say are going to happen, happen.

I'd like Castle Street to be open to traffic more than most posters, I'd imagine. I was using it at least 4 times a week before the closure. I'm just willing to give the changes a chance if they have manage to allow bars and restaurants in the area to open.

If that's the case then I'll join you in criticising them, Tone. I'll just wait until the things you say are going to happen, happen.

I'd like Castle Street to be open to traffic more than most posters, I'd imagine. I was using it at least 4 times a week before the closure. I'm just willing to give the changes a chance if they have manage to allow bars and restaurants in the area to open.

I thought the object of the exercise was to keep people away from each other, NOT MINGLE TOGETHER ????

Cardiff people, go to town shopping, but keep 2 metres apart, when you’ve finished shopping, come to our new TENTS and WALK FREELY AMONGST CORONAVIRUS CARRIERS

YOU COULDN’T GET A BETTER COMEDY SKETCH

Heisenberg

I thought the object of the exercise was to keep people away from each other, NOT MINGLE TOGETHER ????

Cardiff people, go to town shopping, but keep 2 metres apart, when you’ve finished shopping, come to our new TENTS and WALK FREELY AMONGST CORONAVIRUS CARRIERS

Well, I can see that you're keeping an open mind about it. That's the spirit

2 meters, that’s a joke

International

Are you daring to suggest I overreacted in my OP
    do you know where Beddau is?

Heisenberg

Are you daring to suggest I overreacted in my OP
    do you know where Beddau is?
    I used to, but Cardiff Council have blocked off all routes to get there... The bastards!

You could quite easily get a better comedy sketch, and stop catastrophising before the work's even been completed. It might end up being a terrible idea but I don't think we're at the IT'S A DISASTER stage before the frickin tent's even up