+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff Council are killing the City.

Re: Cardiff Council are killing the City.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    The SEAGULLS Steve, the SEAGULLS, will leave them spotless
    The GULLS won't clean up their own shit.
    There are no such birds as "seagulls", only Herring Gulls, which we normally call "seagulls", and Terns (the smaller white ones)

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Exactly, an eating area surely needs to be near the places that are providing the food otherwise it becomes a picnic area which in the UK haven’t got a good reputation for being litter free. Delmi is right, not sure if on this thread or another thread, some people in this country seriously need educating on the litter situation.
    I assume the Council will have staff there to deal with cleaning, litter etc but it's hard to imagine the area not attracting seagulls and pigeons although I don't want to judge all this too soon, we'll have to wait and see.

We're going to have to wait a bit longer to find out. Despite signs being up yesterday afternoon that it would be open today, that's now been delayed till Friday.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-...-open-18677644

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    How can i get back with alternative routes-how many ****ing routes are there? I asked a question-because i don't have the answer, it's not for me to provide a route, simply because i think something is ok, that doesn't mean that i have to come up with the solutions, that's not my job.
    There are 3 MAIN routes into Cardiff City Centre.

1) Newport Road------ Serving, Roath, Rumney, Llanrumney, St Mellons

2) North Road---------Serving, Birchgrove, Llanishen, Lisvane, Thornhill

3) Cowbridge Road---Serving, Canton, Ely, and anything else in the west.

All 3 are shut down, so ANYONE, from ANYWHERE, who want to take public transport across our City, has to traipse across the city centre, with, bags, kids, disabled etc,etc,etc.

And YES, I have been in touch with a councilor.

We are not a Coventry, Birmingham, or York, type of City. We are a coastal City, with limited access roads into it's centre, shut them off and you kill it.

As SplottParker, and others have pointed out, all traffic going down Western Avenue, left onto (single lane) Cardiff Road, is asking for trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    The GULLS won't clean up their own shit.
    There are no such birds as "seagulls", only Herring Gulls, which we normally call "seagulls", and Terns (the smaller white ones)
    Someone better tell the Brighton fans this !!!!!!!!

There are 3 MAIN routes into Cardiff City Centre.

1) Newport Road------ Serving, Roath, Rumney, Llanrumney, St Mellons

2) North Road---------Serving, Birchgrove, Llanishen, Lisvane, Thornhill

3) Cowbridge Road---Serving, Canton, Ely, and anything else in the west.

All 3 are shut down, so ANYONE, from ANYWHERE, who want to take public transport across our City, has to traipse across the city centre, with, bags, kids, disabled etc,etc,etc.

And YES, I have been in touch with a councilor.

We are not a Coventry, Birmingham, or York, type of City. We are a coastal City, with limited access roads into it's centre, shut them off and you kill it.

As SplottParker, and others have pointed out, all traffic going down Western Avenue, left onto (single lane) Cardiff Road, is asking for trouble.
    Ad all of those routes are running up until Castle St. If people have to walk across the City Centre in order to make the connection, especially if disabled, then that's wrong. I don't know if there are alternatives, neither do you or Splott Parker, maybe one of us should take the time out to find out if there are any and not pursue the anecdotal line of evidence. I like the 'Picnic Area' or whatever it's called, i certainly wouldn't like the vulnerable and elderly having to make a long old walk across the city in order to make a connection. As for those who want to take their cars through the City Centre for no good reason, then **** them, they can get on a bus or find an alternative route, it's not that difficult with a little bit of planning and foresight. People just don't like change in my opinion, unless it ticks all of their 'prejudiced' boxes.

I had a bus lane constructed outside of my house for the best part of 6 months, maybe longer-i couldn't park close to my house, couldn't load my tools and had no pavement, plus constant noise, but i thought that in the interests of everyone that uses public transport that it would be worth it, no more getting completely stuck on Caerphilly rd at busy times for commuters and those who like to visit the City Centre (including myself) It's worked out well in my opinion. We had the usual Tory twats grizzling because they couldn't park within 3 inches of their house anymore, but hey ho, every cloud.. The point is that things change, they may not start out being perfect, there will be problems, hopefully they'll sort themselves out and the car drivers of cardiff and the surrounding areas are encouraged to take a little time out to plan their route, or use a bus or train.

According to Cardiff Bus website, if you want to travel from Pentwyn to Ely, which would involve one connection, then the Pentwyn Bus Docks in Westgate St, the 17-18 bus to Ely then departs from Westgate St, the bus from Pentwyn goes around the back of John Lewis and down that short bit of St Marys St, left dow wood st and right into Westgate St. Must be absolute hell for people.

Ad all of those routes are running up until Castle St. If people have to walk across the City Centre in order to make the connection, especially if disabled, then that's wrong. I don't know if there are alternatives, neither do you or Splott Parker, maybe one of us should take the time out to find out if there are any and not pursue the anecdotal line of evidence. I like the 'Picnic Area' or whatever it's called, i certainly wouldn't like the vulnerable and elderly having to make a long old walk across the city in order to make a connection. As for those who want to take their cars through the City Centre for no good reason, then **** them, they can get on a bus or find an ALTERNATIVE ROUTE , it's not that difficult with a little bit of planning and foresight. People just don't like change in my opinion, unless it ticks all of their 'prejudiced' boxes.

I had a bus lane constructed outside of my house for the best part of 6 months, maybe longer-i couldn't park close to my house, couldn't load my tools and had no pavement, plus constant noise, but i thought that in the interests of everyone that uses public transport that it would be worth it, no more getting completely stuck on Caerphilly rd at busy times for commuters and those who like to visit the City Centre (including myself) It's worked out well in my opinion. We had the usual Tory twats grizzling because they couldn't park within 3 inches of their house anymore, but hey ho, every cloud.. The point is that things change, they may not start out being perfect, there will be problems, hopefully they'll sort themselves out and the car drivers of cardiff and the surrounding areas are encouraged to take a little time out to plan their route, or use a bus or train.

It's not sinking in, is it !!!!!

THERE IS NO ALTERNATIVE ROUTE, APART FROM WESTERN AVENUE !!!!!!

Stop shouting. There is an alternative route, a skirt around the edge of the south of the City or the ely link rd via the m4. Rover way for those entering from the East. If somebody decides to drive through a built up area that is very busy with shoppers, workers, pedestrians., and people who like to sit out and have a picnic then they may be inconvenienced, tough shit, start planning a bit better, prioritise the route and need for travel.

Stop shouting. There is an alternative route, a skirt around the edge of the south of the City or the ely link rd via the m4. Rover way for those entering from the East. If somebody decides to drive through a built up area that is very busy with shoppers, workers, pedestrians., and people who like to sit out and have a picnic then they may be inconvenienced, tough shit, start planning a bit better, prioritise the route and need for travel.
    So the buses go on Rover Way and the M4, Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Where do the passengers get on, pray tell ???????????

That’s right, to reduce congestion, traffic fumes etc surely it’s better to keep as many direct main arteries open and use facilities already in place. There’s a huge amount of pedestrianised areas in town, the extra square metres gained by the closure of Castle St is dwarfed by the non traffic areas of Queen St, St Mary St, Working St, The Hayes etc. These places also have the required outlets on tap to provide for patrons. One thing town could with though is a free Wally train, hop on, hop off, would be a great asset to the aged and less mobile. As for Tuerto not sitting on his arse moaning on a messageboard Anyway, what are forums for? No moaners, no forums. It does seem as the council is determined to strangle retail in town and create a massive eating and drinking area, if this is the case it’s a shame for the shoppers who love a day out browsing the stores instead of driving to a soulless out of town centre.

So the buses go on Rover Way and the M4, Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Where do the passengers get on, pray tell ???????????
    I've got nothing to contribute to the bus debate, and at the risk of derailing the thread temporarily, did you hold the "m" down or press it 33 individual times? I think it's the second one because you seem to have tired yourself out by the time you got to the question marks

That’s right, to reduce congestion, traffic fumes etc surely it’s better to keep as many direct main arteries open and use facilities already in place. There’s a huge amount of pedestrianised areas in town, the extra square metres gained by the closure of Castle St is dwarfed by the non traffic areas of Queen St, St Mary St, Working St, The Hayes etc. These places also have the required outlets on tap to provide for patrons. One thing town could with though is a free Wally train, hop on, hop off, would be a great asset to the aged and less mobile. As for Tuerto not sitting on his arse moaning on a messageboard Anyway, what are forums for? No moaners, no forums. It does seem as the council is determined to strangle retail in town and create a massive eating and drinking area, if this is the case it’s a shame for the shoppers who love a day out browsing the stores instead of driving to a soulless out of town centre.
    It seems so mad that they've chosen Castle Street when St Mary's seems perfect that there has to be a reason for it. Thinking about it - stick that seating area in the middle of St Mary's St, and with the existing seating areas from the bars and restaurants maybe it wouldn't leave enough room either side for social distancing when walking? That's the only reason I can think of

No, the cars go onto rover way and the M4, there is an alternative. Pay attention. The buses are going around the back into westgate st with connections on westgate st. I don't know if that's all of them, but like i previously said, the bus from pentwyn stops at Westgate st and a connection to Ely is from Westgate St, essentially, it looks like there are alternative connecting stops. I can understand why this may be difficult for some people, i really can.

It looks like the council are trying to change attitudes and entitlement when it comes to people using their vehicles to enter one of the most polluted parts of the UK. A bit of a nudge wont hurt in my opinion, although it seems that they're not going to please everyone. It looks to me like there are viable connection docking points in the City Centre although i may be wrong. Feel free to do your own research instead of garnishing your own opinion based on absolutely no evidence what so ever, we will only find out if this works if it is trialed, if that means some people are put out then so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    It seems so mad that they've chosen Castle Street when St Mary's seems perfect that there has to be a reason for it. Thinking about it - stick that seating area in the middle of St Mary's St, and with the existing seating areas from the bars and restaurants maybe it wouldn't leave enough room either side for social distancing when walking? That's the only reason I can think of
    The council want to get people out of their cars and onto public transport. The main issue here is the cost, frequency and things like park and ride schemes. In essence, that money could come into the council coffers as opposed to rip off merchants like NCP (an absolute shithouse company) The car parks will still be there if people want to use them.

The council aren't trying to strangle retail, a large percentage of their budget comes from business rates and rental. They are trying to push people out of their cars in order to make parts of the centre more attractive to shoppers and tourists. It's a risk for them but one worth taking in my opinion.

In the interests of balance to this debate, if you want to come from Thornhill in order to get a connection for a bus to Ely, then you would get off at the law courts and then jump on the Ely bus at The Holiday Inn just before the bridge by the Mill stad. Unless there is some kind of transport that can get those that need it from those two points then i do find that unacceptable for those with disabilities of the elderly.

In the interests of balance to this debate, if you want to come from Thornhill in order to get a connection for a bus to Ely, then you would get off at the law courts and then jump on the Ely bus at The Holiday Inn just before the bridge by the Mill stad. Unless there is some kind of transport that can get those that need it from those two points then i do find that unacceptable for those with disabilities of the elderly.
    That’s where the Wally bus comes into play, I call it the Wally bus, it’s actually a train that winds its way through the pedestrianised areas picking up and dropping off wherever. We christened it that in Benidorm once when one of a our lot said “Look at all the Wallies on that thing”, we soon changed our minds when we caught it to get around, use the one in Adeje, Tenerife, now as well, marvellous simple idea.

That’s where the Wally bus comes into play, I call it the Wally bus, it’s actually a train that winds its way through the pedestrianised areas picking up and dropping off wherever. We christened it that in Benidorm once when one of a our lot said “Look at all the Wallies on that thing”, we soon changed our minds when we caught it to get around, use the one in Adeje, Tenerife, now as well, marvellous simple idea.
    Sounds like a great idea, it's something that needs to be looked into if people have to make a fair walk to the connecting bus, especially the elderly and disabled, bollocks to parents with kids, they can get a bit wet, do them good

Here's a current list of places that are signed up, more on the way

Bute & Co
    Bwyta Bwyd Bombai (3B Cafe)
    Coconut Tree
    Dusty Knuckle
    Fab Burgers
    Grazing Shed
    Heavenly Desserts
    Marco Pierre White’s
    Mowgli Street Food
    Wally’s Delicatessen
    Wok to Walk
    Zero Degrees

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Open tomorrow. I'm assuming the Council aren't just going to wing it but I'm missing something for now.
    It wasn't open at lunch time today. Or if it is, nobody was using it. I will check in again tomorrow.

Forming a view on the success or failure of this parasols-in-the-road-sitting-area-for-bars-in-a-different-area idea is sitting far higher in my list of priorities than it probably should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    It wasn't open at lunch time today. Or if it is, nobody was using it. I will check in again tomorrow.

Forming a view on the success or failure of this parasols-in-the-road-sitting-area-for-bars-in-a-different-area idea is sitting far higher in my list of priorities than it probably should be.
    I think it's opening Friday now. It's 27 degrees on Friday, it'll be a roaring success. They could chuck 30 potato sacks on the floor and say sit there and it'd be a roaring success if it's 27 degrees

The council aren't trying to strangle retail, a large percentage of their budget comes from business rates and rental. They are trying to push people out of their cars in order to make parts of the centre more attractive to shoppers and tourists. It's a risk for them but one worth taking in my opinion.
    It would be a logical idea to get the public transport right first though, give people a decent option. Solar powered trams into the centre from all main suburbs would be a good start....with hubs on the edge of the city centre to all routes.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Here's a current list of places that are signed up, more on the way

Bute & Co
    Bwyta Bwyd Bombai (3B Cafe)
    Coconut Tree
    Dusty Knuckle
    Fab Burgers
    Grazing Shed
    Heavenly Desserts
    Marco Pierre White’s
    Mowgli Street Food
    Wally’s Delicatessen
    Wok to Walk
    Zero Degrees
    Sounds alright....got to buy food there have you? Not just a few beers

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Sounds alright....got to buy food there have you? Not just a few beers
    I haven't actually seen anything that specifies one way or another, which makes me think that you can just get a few beers