+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff Council are killing the City.

Re: Cardiff Council are killing the City.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    A bit more weatherproof would be like a building-we have plenty of them.
    We have but it would be difficult to slide their roofs off on a sunny day as I suggested with the temporary covers seriously, Tuerto, what’s your opinion of the garden umbrellas that’s been put up? Perfectly acceptable or not?

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    at least you've got something new to look at when you walk to work
    I don't walk past Castle Street. I thought you'd know that.

Tuerto let's just face it, it's just going to be you and me under those brollies sipping our delicious lagers and eating our delicious local meals. I'm ok with that.
    He rarely drinks and he's on a diet. You're ****ed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I don't walk past Castle Street. I thought you'd know that.
    Me too

He rarely drinks and he's on a diet. You're ****ed.
    He can hold the windbreak

300 yards.... i suppose that's an extra pint for some

300 yards from Kingsway to Wood St??? My one mate has a gammy leg, due to a horrific road accident, Kingsway to Wood St is a fair old dap, even worse if it’s pissing down.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    300 yards from Kingsway to Wood St??? My one mate has a gammy leg, due to a horrific road accident, Kingsway to Wood St is a fair old dap, even worse if it’s pissing down.
    Aren't the buses going to come in the back way, via Tudor Rd? I'm sure they will.

300 yards.... i suppose that's an extra pint for some
    Out of interest, what route do you take to the football under normal circumstances?

Aren't the buses going to come in the back way, via Tudor Rd? I'm sure they will.
    What buses?

Tudor Rd is a continuation of Wood St in effect over Wood St Bridge, doesn’t help the walk from or to Kingsway or Greyfriars Rd.

ya
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Maeterlinck View Post
    Out of interest, where in your opinion is the centre of Cardiff?
    Gabalfa roundabout, as near as dam it

Me too
    I've just seen the photos on the council's Facebook page. The whole thing looks spectacularly shit. I'm going to wander down there after work tomorrow and have a proper look because I can't believe it's as bad as it appears from the pictures.

What about north Cardiff, pentwyn, ponprenau (spelling). How do those old people access the station ?????

I don't disagree with this, I thought myself that it was going to be more covered than it is. But it's not even August and we usually get a decent September so hopefully they'll be useful for the next couple of months. Happy to hope for the best rather than have a meltdown about it anyway (not that you are)
    Should have been put up in he castle grounds, there's plenty of room, and at least the walls would give some protection from the wind. Plus the traffic could have used Castle St as normal

Currently, most of the buses are arriving at and departing from Greyfriars Road. No signs up telling you which bus goes from which stop, nothing on the electronic tickers on the stops themselves, buses leaving from both sides of the road in different directions, but nobody seems sure of what's what.

I'm OK, I know where my usual bus goes from and what time it's supposed to go, but I've seen plenty of people missing their buses in recent weeks - mainly pensioners who are trying to get back to places outside Cardiff such as Newport, Caerphilly and Merthyr. All good fun though, eh? Bollocks to the public, it's all those restaurants and cafes on Castle Street that count.

Personally, I'm looking forward to my first meal from Forbidden Plant. I'm also hoping the rugby shop is going to start selling big, meaty burgers and the Wales souvenir shop is going to start serving leek pie and Welsh cakes.
    There should be signs up, that's not good. After that and when everything has settled down then i can't see a problem.

What buses?
    Big ****ing orange ones.

Tudor Rd is a continuation of Wood St in effect over Wood St Bridge, doesn’t help the walk from or to Kingsway or Greyfriars Rd.
    Then wont the buses that used to use Castle St to get to Wood St, now go down Tudor Rd Via Grangetown? I would've thought that there will be somethig put in place. Maybe people on here should get onto their local councillor or AM if it's causing them that many problems.

Out of interest, what route do you take to the football under normal circumstances?
    i go down western Avenue, through Canton.

We have but it would be difficult to slide their roofs off on a sunny day as I suggested with the temporary covers seriously, Tuerto, what’s your opinion of the garden umbrellas that’s been put up? Perfectly acceptable or not?
    You said a Marquee, can the roof of a marquee slide off? Garden Umbrellas are fine with me, a lot of fuss about nothing in my opinion.

Then wont the buses that used to use Castle St to get to Wood St, now go down Tudor Rd Via Grangetown? I would've thought that there will be somethig put in place. Maybe people on here should get onto their local councillor or AM if it's causing them that many problems.
    What? From East and North Cardiff you reckon they should somehow get to Tudor Rd from Newport Rd and North Rd, the East Cardiff buses would need to turn by the Blind Institute, turn right, go past the gaol, turn left off Bute Terrace into Bute St, turn right into Callaghan Square, go over Penarth Rd Bridge, turn right onto Taff Embankment, left by the old Avana bakery, then right into Clare Rd and onto Tudor Rd, wow! and anyone who wanted to get off on Dumfries Place or Greyfriars Rd for Queen St shopping would have to plan their route March. The ones from North Rd would have to turn left into Boulevard de Nantes (in front of the Civic Centre) carry onto Dumfries Place, making its way onto Newport Rd before getting to the Blind Institute and following the above East Cardiff bus route.

. The biggest problem in cardiff is the wind and horizontal rain, it's never that cold here.
    The biggest problem is that the city centre is a ghost town. What’s the point of all of this? There is nobody to serve. I live in England and come back here a few times a year. I went into town today and was quite shocked. Admittedly I do live near Covid-bashing bishops stortford, where as other posters have reported we live in a sort of bustling Eutopia of socially distanced coronavirus defiance. But even so... if it wasn’t for the bin men emptying the (presumably already empty) bins, I’d not have seen a single person on my walk from westgate st to the civic centre at 9.30am. It’s not quiet, it is dead.

And those yellow lines.... Jesus wept. I get that the council feels the need to do something, but all the same, someone must have realised what a colossal waste of time and effort that was. By lunchtime there were a few people about, none of them paying any attention to the yellow markings. I particularly like the ones where you can walk in either direction anyway. Could they at least have done it in a way that was more easily reversible?

I’ve heard quite a few people say that Wales was a bit more cautious than England but I hadn’t realised the extent of it, it was quite upsetting to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    The biggest problem is that the city centre is a ghost town. What’s the point of all of this? There is nobody to serve. I live in England and come back here a few times a year. I went into town today and was quite shocked. Admittedly I do live near Covid-bashing bishops stortford, where as other posters have reported we live in a sort of bustling Eutopia of socially distanced coronavirus defiance. But even so... if it wasn’t for the bin men emptying the (presumably already empty) bins, I’d not have seen a single person on my walk from westgate st to the civic centre at 9.30am. It’s not quiet, it is dead.

And those yellow lines.... Jesus wept. I get that the council feels the need to do something, but all the same, someone must have realised what a colossal waste of time and effort that was. By lunchtime there were a few people about, none of them paying any attention to the yellow markings. I particularly like the ones where you can walk in either direction anyway. Could they at least have done it in a way that was more easily reversible?

I’ve heard quite a few people say that Wales was a bit more cautious than England but I hadn’t realised the extent of it, it was quite upsetting to see.
    You desperately need a new name

I've just come back from town, it was really busy. Loads of places with tables outside filled with people eating and drinking. The new covered areas look great, the yellow lines don't bother me in the slightest being that there's single or double yellow lines on most of the roads in the country so I'm used to seeing them. We grabbed some food from the market and went to sit on the grass in the (free entry) castle. Good times all round

I've just come back from town, it was really busy. Loads of places with tables outside filled with people eating and drinking. The new covered areas look great, the yellow lines don't bother me in the slightest being that there's single or double yellow lines on most of the roads in the country so I'm used to seeing them. We grabbed some food from the market and went to sit on the grass in the (free entry) castle. Good times all round
    I went into town on Sunday, it was very healthy, people drinking and eating along ST Mary's street, very busy, queen st was busy enough with shoppers. I don't take any notice of the markings on the paved areas, nobody else seems to either. There wasn't much balance on here when this Covid shit kicked off and there doesn't seem to be much now that we are starting to come out of it, i guess alot of people have difficulty using their imagination and taking the positives out of things. I'd even go as far as to say that a lot of white middle aged men come across as quite spoilt.

Funnily enough I was just about to post because I've been out for a wander at lunch time today- it is like a different city today! You wouldn't say it was busy, but there were loads of people shopping (there were queues outside many shops), and the outdoor cafes were full. Quite nice really. I probably underestimated the effect of the weather yesterday, but believe me - it was a post-apocalypse ghost town, home only to the bin men, traps and me. It feels far more normal today. And I can see the point in that area on Castle St now that there are actually some people in the town centre to use it. It might actually be quite good, although why they put it there and not along St Mary's st is a bit of a mystery.

The yellow lines look stupid and are pointless. Why bother putting yellow markings all over the pavement to tell me I can walk both ways along it?! I'm not angry about it, it just reminds me of busy work that people in my organisation are sometimes given. Deep down everyone knows that it is a massive waste of time and money, but we all know that councils around the country are doing this because if they don't they will be marching out of step.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Funnily enough I was just about to post because I've been out for a wander at lunch time today- it is like a different city today! You wouldn't say it was busy, but there were loads of people shopping (there were queues outside many shops), and the outdoor cafes were full. Quite nice really. I probably underestimated the effect of the weather yesterday, but believe me - it was a post-apocalypse ghost town, home only to the bin men, traps and me. It feels far more normal today. And I can see the point in that area on Castle St now that there are actually some people in the town centre to use it. It might actually be quite good, although why they put it there and not along St Mary's st is a bit of a mystery.

The yellow lines look stupid and are pointless. Why bother putting yellow markings all over the pavement to tell me I can walk both ways along it?! I'm not angry about it, it just reminds me of busy work that people in my organisation are sometimes given. Deep down everyone knows that it is a massive waste of time and money, but we all know that councils around the country are doing this because if they don't they will be marching out of step.
    The Council and other local authorities could save themselves so much money if they were allowed to put up signs saying things like 'Use your Common sense' Work it out for yourself' and even 'Sometimes, things change that might be a bit of an inconvenience for a short time, It'll all be fine!' Reckon it'd work?