+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Wales v Scotland 1985

Wales v Scotland 1985

The night Jock Stein died.
    Just watched the brief highlights on YouTube.
    Crikey there were loads of Scotland fans there on the grange end. Must have been a mad night.
    Did anyone go to the game?

Re: Wales v Scotland 1985

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    Crikey there were loads of Scotland fans there on the grange end. Must have been a mad night.
    Yeah was there. Just moved up to Reading and caught the train back to the game. 90% Jocks on the train down but good company. Bossed the game but got too timid after we scored and a silly handball did us. Jocks as you say were mostly in Grange. Got a bit of gip on the train back but then a few boys I was bantering with on the way back got the news and we had a toast to his soul outside Reading Station. Bit surreal night really,

I was there, don’t recall much jip inside the ground and I wasn’t really aware of the passing of JS until I reached home. Much glee when Robbie JAmes scored then more penalty madness v Scotland. These are my recollections of the night. 39,000 inside the Old Lady by the way.....

I was there. I remember some fuss by the dugout at the end of the game but didn’t think anything of it. It was only when we got back to the pub, that it came up on the news. A sad night,

Quote Originally Posted by Pontprennau Bluebird View Post
    I was there, don’t recall much jip inside the ground and I wasn’t really aware of the passing of JS until I reached home. Much glee when Robbie JAmes scored then more penalty madness v Scotland. These are my recollections of the night. 39,000 inside the Old Lady by the way.....
    Mark Hughes scored at the match I was at and it was at Ninian Park....old lady indeed, what a stupid name, we aren’t Juventus.

Hughes got the goal

It was Sparky who scored for us.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I could swear it was Mark Hughes

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Now that was a comic of its time, would horrify folk today!

You are right, it was Hughes. Mixing it up with Yugoslavia 81.
    I’m also sure I’ve heard of NP described as the Old Lady but hey, 39,000 nevertheless.

Yes and I cried my ****ing eyes out when Cooper scored the pen.

Finding out Jock Stein had died did not really put it into perspective until my father put me right.

Prior to the game and in Olympus Sports, I can remember talking to a Scottish bloke from Motherwell about the daps they had on offer and Ellesse.

They went on to qualify by beating Australia with McAvennie scoring I think?

I’m still scarred by that ****ing night.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Now that was a comic of its time, would horrify folk today!
    Wasn't there a Sparky character called Nosey Parker? Just asking

I was there. There were about 2,000 scotland fans on the Bob Bank in the corner by the Grange End. It kicked off when we scored. As a City fan at that time it was quite an experience to be on the Bob Bank when it was completely packed. It went absolutely ****ing MENTAL when Sparky scored. Couldn't get into the Philly after to the game so we went to a little pub at the top of Bute Street where we heard that Jock Stein had actually died. And then to the Fantasia in Barry. Scotland fans everwhere. They were gutted about "the Big Man".

The joke at the time was "What were Jock Stein's last words?" "God strike me down if that wasn't a penalty."

This and the Yugoslsvia game were probably the biggest crowds I experienced at Ninian Park. I was there squashed into the bob bank with my mates. Ended up about 20 feet from them after we scored. Felt crap at the final whistle then even worse when I got home and my dad told me Jock Stein had died.

There was some trouble with the Scots on the bob bank but it soon died down

Imagine if it had been england there that night

Running battles

Up until a few years ago I always wanted the Jocks to lose.

Their fans were horrible pissed up bullying kents that night.

Worst supporters ive ever come across.

I was there with my Scottish mate who I'd met on holiday in Spain a year earlier. We were on the Bob Bank. Could see a bit of a commotion, but wasn't sure what was going on. Had the radio on in the car, and as we reached Dowlais bypass the news reached us. My mate was gutted. The last 10 miles of the journey seemed to last forever.
    I also did the away trip to Hamden. Travelled from Dundee on the train listening to the Jocks saying how many they were going to beat us by. We had tickets for the Glasgow Rangers section. My mates from Dundee weren't so vocal once we arrived. We beat them 1-0 and I must have been the only Taff in that end. Needless to say I kept quiet. The train journey back to Dundee was a different matter though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Up until a few years ago I always wanted the Jocks to lose.

Their fans were horrible pissed up bullying kents that night.

Worst supporters ive ever come across.
    Are you being serious? The Jocks are pussy cats.
    Well respected everywhere they go.
    You must have one of those faces 😁

However bad they were that night. I was a school kid and they were right kents apparently Anfield was a right horror story with them. Anyone there?

Yep in the Grange , busy night .

Didnt realise at the time he'd died, found out next day .

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    However bad they were that night. I was a school kid and they were right kents apparently Anfield was a right horror story with them. Anyone there?
    One of the biggest embarrassments in Welsh football history taking that game to Anfield.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Yep in the Grange , busy night .

Didnt realise at the time he'd died, found out next day .
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I6CIxCcJ9k

Which one were you in the Grange when Hughsie scored?

Yeah - I was there on the Bob Bank that night. Many Scots in town before and after but all I saw was brotherhood - maybe naive young man that I was.

I was there on bob bank - weird atomasphere