+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Handball Rule

Handball Rule

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53284597

seen Lampard calling for a serious reflection on how VAR is being used.

Now I was not a big fan of technology being introduced but I have come to the conclusion that it is now here to stay so, lets be positive and how can we make it work.

---------------

This is my idea:

So the two scenarios that seem to causing all the issues are handball and off-side, and it is a problem because football is a subjective sport.

Therefore why do we have to have clear rules that try and make things black or white... Yes or No. It can not work in football.

Now I say we put the power back into the referee's hands. Instead of rules we have Guidelines, then when an incident happens the protocol should be that the referee goes over to the monitor watches replays and makes a personal subjective decision based on his experience and if he believes an advantage was gained or not.

That is exactly what happens in Boxing when a referee stops a fight or not, now we may disagree and say he stopped to early or let it go on too long, but at the end of the day, we have decided to put someone in there who understands the sport and trust them to make what they believe is the right decision.

Re: Handball Rule

Just to add, we will still have another qualified referee behind the screen who can provide advice and another viewpoint to support the referee, but the final choice is always made on the pitch by the referee.

Re: Handball Rule

I honestly believe that referee's love football, and have hated given some of the decisions they have because their hands are tied by the rules, if given the power and freedom to do so, he would not have disallowed that Kane goal.

Finally what is the downside of all this.. ?

well consistency...
    some refs will obviously have different styles and outlooks on the game than others. BUT THIS IS OKAY.

As long as a referee is consistent within the match it does not matter if referee's are not consistent compared to each over, once again this is common and accepted in boxing / MMA . eventually each referee will have their own styles and personalities and players and managers will learn and be prepared for this.

They will still be held to standards and performances reflected on, so really bad refs will just get found out and demoted and good refs have the freedom to rise to the top.