+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: NML

NML

I don’t understand the thinking of starting with Mendez Laing in these sorts of games.

He is a kick and chase merchant. A good one but only thrives in space. When defences keep tight he can’t do what he needs.

His standard procedure of massively overemphasised step overs or dropping the shoulder just doesn’t work and is actually a hinderance when they put 2 on him as very easily loses the ball

Always, on games like this, start with Whyte/Smith and bring NML on. Can’t see him starting when Murphy is 100%.

Re: NML

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I don’t understand the thinking of starting with Mendez Laing in these sorts of games.

He is a kick and chase merchant. A good one but only thrives in space. When defences keep tight he can’t do what he needs.

His standard procedure of massively overemphasised step overs or dropping the shoulder just doesn’t work and is actually a hinderance when they put 2 on him as very easily loses the ball

Always, on games like this, start with Whyte/Smith and bring NML on. Can’t see him starting when Murphy is 100%.
    his stepovers are f**king massive aren't they

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    his stepovers are f**king massive aren't they
    John Cleese would be proud of him.

Why would we start a left back 🤭

He's got his clown shoes on today.

Agreed much better when everyone is nackered and he comes off the bench, same with Tomlin!

If Adomah was available, that's just what would have happened.
    Harris's options were limited.
    Nathaniel didn't have his best game but he worked hard.
    Rather have him start than, well you know...

Maybe mendez would be better upfront where his pace can beat the defence and we know he can finish in front of goal.

His first touch and crossing isnt good for a winger.

Was thinking the same , when you watch Holilet you can see the difference, he lacks the balance and trickery real good wide men have , most can play on either wing and have two good interchangeable feet skills , sadly NML just lacks that quality, decent squad player though and a good servant to the club.

I like his honesty, and when it comes off it looks fantastic, although never in my city supporting life have i seen a player that has absolutely no idea how his body is likely to react when he is in possession of a football. It fascinates me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I like his honesty, and when it comes off it looks fantastic, although never in my city supporting life have i seen a player that has absolutely no idea how his body is likely to react when he is in possession of a football. It fascinates me.
    really.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    really.
    Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Absolutely.
    yeah he's not exactly silky, he's quite awkward with the ball really but like you say, when it comes off it comes off very well

I think the explosive style of NML is more likely to be a bit more hit and miss. I think for this reason it also relies alot on confidence.

He must practice his stepovers with a beach ball

I think he’s most effective from the bench. When he’s on song he’s dangerous.

You've answered your own question.