Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: FT: CARDIFF CITY 2 - 3 BLACKBURN ROVERS. Match thread

FT: CARDIFF CITY 2 - 3 BLACKBURN ROVERS. Match thread

Match Officials:

Referee: ANDY DAVIES
    Assistants: Robert Merchant and Timothy Wood
    Fourth Official : Brett Huxtable

Re: CARDIFF CITY v BLACKBURN ROVERS. Match thread

Hopefully we can get back to playing like we did in the first two games, if we do we should be able to brush blackburn aside who have come back in atrocious form - that being said they are due something and will play with not much to lose as their season is over if they don't win

As always hoping Paterson is removed from the starting XI. Lets not go over it as some people (no names mentioned) are far too overly enamoured by his cult status to recognise his limitations as a forward player - but if RG9 is fully fit get him straight in, otherwise Ward will do. Other than that I don't see room for any change in the starting XI, maybe Murphy or Whyte in for one of the wingers to relieve them but they're lacking game time so that seems unlikely.

Smithies

Sanderson
    Nelson
    Morrison
    Bennett

Vaulks
    Ralls
    Bacuna

NML
    Glatzel
    Hoilett

4-1 City.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Hopefully we can get back to playing like we did in the first two games, if we do we should be able to brush blackburn aside who have come back in atrocious form - that being said they are due something and will play with not much to lose as their season is over if they don't win

As always hoping Paterson is removed from the starting XI. Lets not go over it as some people (no names mentioned) are far too overly enamoured by his cult status to recognise his limitations as a forward player - but if RG9 is fully fit get him straight in, otherwise Ward will do. Other than that I don't see room for any change in the starting XI, maybe Murphy or Whyte in for one of the wingers to relieve them but they're lacking game time so that seems unlikely.

Smithies

Sanderson
    Nelson
    Morrison
    Bennett

Vaulks
    Ralls
    Bacuna

NML
    Glatzel
    Hoilett

4-1 City.

Why do people keep on saying “start without Patts” ????

He’s not the greatest, anyone can see that, BUT the 3 (THREE), games we’ve won, since the restart, we’ve had a plan in operation.

The one game we abandoned this plan, was the worst game of the season , not just since the comeback.

Yes, Robert went off injured, BUT, JUST BUT, maybe he was trying to hard to impress, whereas when he comes on as sub, the physical side of the game, has been sorted out by Patts.

Everyone wants to see skilful players, BUT, if you’ve got a winning formula, why change it . WE DID AND ONLY DREW, AGAINST LOWLY CHARLTON

LEAVE WELL ALONE

I tend to agree with this argument up to a point.

It's a gimme that Paterson is hardworking but not a natural centre forward. Perhaps he also could do with a bit of a rest.
    So I reckon if Danny Ward is as fit as Pato, either he or Glatzel should start the game against Blackburn but we play a similar way same winning formula that is to say same shape and on the break, like the "away side".
    We would still have the fresher centre forward option off the bench.

Blackburn need to win the game and It's unlikely they'll set up as Charlton did. There should be gaps for us to exploit with a striker who can exploit them.

Blackburn's squad doesn't sound in the best of shape.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.u...-cardiff-city/

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Why do people keep on saying “start without Patts” ????

He’s not the greatest, anyone can see that, BUT the 3 (THREE), games we’ve won, since the restart, we’ve had a plan in operation.

The one game we abandoned this plan, was the worst game of the season , not just since the comeback.

Yes, Robert went off injured, BUT, JUST BUT, maybe he was trying to hard to impress, whereas when he comes on as sub, the physical side of the game, has been sorted out by Patts.

Everyone wants to see skilful players, BUT, if you’ve got a winning formula, why change it . WE DID AND ONLY DREW, AGAINST LOWLY CHARLTON

LEAVE WELL ALONE
    Any defender that can't be physical for 90 minutes shouldn't play.

Are you saying Pato falling over continuously in his 70 uncreative minutes does that much of a job on defenders they can't barge a less physical Glatzel out of the game for 20 minutes?

Let's be honest. We have Ward and Glatzel, 2 ACTUAL strikers. Both can score and both offer movement. Arguably both so far seem better off the bench too, but wouldn't you rather risk playing an actual striker who may also find himself in an actual goal scoring position to actually score a goal in the first 70 minutes? What if we use Paterson who doesn't score or create, then the 20 minutes we allow out actual proper real as in played there all their lives strikers they don't manage to score? Through sheer defensive brilliance or individual brilliance by their keeper?

Strikers need to be a goal threat. End of.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Any defender that can't be physical for 90 minutes shouldn't play.

Are you saying Pato falling over continuously in his 70 uncreative minutes does that much of a job on defenders they can't barge a less physical Glatzel out of the game for 20 minutes?

Let's be honest. We have Ward and Glatzel, 2 ACTUAL strikers. Both can score and both offer movement. Arguably both so far seem better off the bench too, but wouldn't you rather risk playing an actual striker who may also find himself in an actual goal scoring position to actually score a goal in the first 70 minutes? What if we use Paterson who doesn't score or create, then the 20 minutes we allow out actual proper real as in played there all their lives strikers they don't manage to score? Through sheer defensive brilliance or individual brilliance by their keeper?

Strikers need to be a goal threat. End of.
    There’s no “arguably” about it, it’s a fact, “both are better off the bench”

If you READ what I’m saying, “I’m saying it’s working for us at the moment, so don’t change a winning formula” .

I’m NOT saying I love it, but it’s working at the moment. Patts IS NOT A STRIKER, fact.

Happy now

I was dreading this game earlier this season as it was just after Whitt’s death and it was his last club. It would have been an really emotional night. Still can’t believe what happened to him.

There’s no “arguably” about it, it’s a fact, “both are better off the bench”

If you READ what I’m saying, “I’m saying it’s working for us at the moment, so don’t change a winning formula” .

I’m NOT saying I love it, but it’s working at the moment. Patts IS NOT A STRIKER, fact.

Happy now
    Better yes

I've agreed in other posts the hard to beat method works, but I've also argued a lot of it is to do with the 3 we select in midfield. They're fit and press up the pitch.

I just won't ever justify a team with Paterson up top while I've got a hole in my arse. Danny ward didn't score on the weekend because Paterson tired out the defenders, he scored because Tomlin knew he could play that pass and ward would read it (you can't do that for Paterson can you?)

And the defenders tiring..surely Wards running can tire out defenders for 70 minutes with the added bonus of him being able to score goals and make better runs...this ALSO tiring the defenders out for our other ACTUAL striker to come on.

Paterson up top makes me want to turn my TV off.

And I would like to also argue that Neil Harris does indeed read the boards, judging by his post match comments of Paterson on Saturday, was almost like the praise he gave him was a finger up to the Paterson doubters on here

Better yes

I've agreed in other posts the hard to beat method works, but I've also argued a lot of it is to do with the 3 we select in midfield. They're fit and press up the pitch.

I just won't ever justify a team with Paterson up top while I've got a hole in my arse. Danny ward didn't score on the weekend because Paterson tired out the defenders, he scored because Tomlin knew he could play that pass and ward would read it (you can't do that for Paterson can you?)

And the defenders tiring..surely Wards running can tire out defenders for 70 minutes with the added bonus of him being able to score goals and make better runs...this ALSO tiring the defenders out for our other ACTUAL striker to come on.
    Calling all nerds, please help me here, “how many goals has Danny scored when he HAS STARTED ??
    Paterson up top makes me want to turn my TV off.

And I would like to also argue that Neil Harris does indeed read the boards, judging by his post match comments of Paterson on Saturday, was almost like the praise he gave him was a finger up to the Paterson doubters on here

Not many, I bet you

I’d love to see us play a more beautiful version of the game, and there is no doubt we’re already much easier on the eye than we were under Warnock.... BUT we have 5 games to go, the style of football Harris has us playing and the selections he is making have got us in a position that I don’t think anyone on this board thought possible 25 games ago.

It’s an evolutionary approach and at this stage I’m taking a top 6 finish playing this way over any other way of playing that may have us finishing lower than 6... Now is not the time to piss about with something that’s obviously working... it’s not pretty, but it’s prettier than it was...

You’ll never find me saying that playing style (and not being in the playoffs) is more important than getting in the play offs playing an unattractive brand of football.

Didn’t work out too well for Lee Johnson... smug twat 🤣

Not many, I bet you
    Well seeing as Paterson doesn't score there's nothing to lose. But having a striker on the pitch with a threat of scoring is definitely a gain.

I could go all day.

But let's not spoil the match thread before it really kicks off.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    I’d love to see us play a more beautiful version of the game, and there is no doubt we’re already much easier on the eye than we were under Warnock.... BUT we have 5 games to go, the style of football Harris has us playing and the selections he is making have got us in a position that I don’t think anyone on this board thought possible 25 games ago.

It’s an evolutionary approach and at this stage I’m taking a top 6 finish playing this way over any other way of playing that may have us finishing lower than 6... Now is not the time to piss about with something that’s obviously working... it’s not pretty, but it’s prettier than it was...

You’ll never find me saying that playing style (and not being in the playoffs) is more important than getting in the play offs playing an unattractive brand of football.

Didn’t work out too well for Lee Johnson... smug twat 🤣
    Personnel change.

I haven't seen anyone ask us to play like Barcelona or Wolves..

I would include Tomlin and Ward, then bring Glatzel on around 70 minutes.
    There is always a danger that not scoring reasonably early puts no pressure on the opposition and as they reach the “20 minutes to go point”, they grow in confidence to hold for a point or perhaps steal all 3.
    As the home team we need to put pressure on the away side and force them out of their shell.
    Without Tomlin (and including Patterson) we severely reduce that opportunity

Personnel change.

I haven't seen anyone ask us to play like Barcelona or Wolves..
    Personnel change for what reason? To get better results?

Personnel change for what reason? To get better results?
    No. So we play like we've got 11 men on the pitch that want to touch the ball.

Just noticed that Blackburn have beaten us once since 1985 (12 games) and that was in the FA Cup. There we are then, that's the kiss of death

No. So we play like we've got 11 men on the pitch that want to touch the ball.
    That’s where we differ then... with 5 games to go just get the requisite number of points in any way possible. In 3 out of 4 games that has involved playing a particular way and got us 9 points... the other way got us a point. It’s not a great statistical sample admittedly but if it ain’t broke

That’s where we differ then... with 5 games to go just get the requisite number of points in any way possible. In 3 out of 4 games that has involved playing a particular way and got us 9 points... the other way got us a point. It’s not a great statistical sample admittedly but if it ain’t broke
    People have argued we don't play any different after the subs (tactics wise)

Some of us are arguing to play a striker up top and not Paterson. Not seen any of us mention playing differently

People have argued we don't play any different after the subs (tactics wise)

Some of us are arguing to play a striker up top and not Paterson. Not seen any of us mention playing differently
    It’s probably futile, but would you concede that playing Paterson up top means that we have to play differently to when someone else plays that role...or perhaps you think that Ward (Or Glatzel for that matter) would be more effective than Paterson at the pressing game?

It’s probably futile, but would you concede that playing Paterson up top means that we have to play differently to when someone else plays that role...or perhaps you think that Ward (Or Glatzel for that matter) would be more effective than Paterson at the pressing game?
    Not really in my opinion. People say Paterson is used up top to tire defenders down, that's rubbish and equally something a fit striker who finishes can do. Some people say he is good at heading as an outlet, they're incorrect, it's one of the worst points of his game. Some other people believe that he is good at holding the ball up, which I'd say whilst he isn't really good at that, he is good at going down at the first sign of contact, well a fit striker who knows where the net is can do that.

Point is, he doesn't exclusively do anything that Ward and Glatzel couldn't, oh and they have an attackers brain and a tidy touch and eye for goal that Paterson doesn't.

Not really in my opinion. People say Paterson is used up top to tire defenders down, that's rubbish and equally something a fit striker who finishes can do. Some people say he is good at heading as an outlet, they're incorrect, it's one of the worst points of his game. Some other people believe that he is good at holding the ball up, which I'd say whilst he isn't really good at that, he is good at going down at the first sign of contact, well a fit striker who knows where the net is can do that.

Point is, he doesn't exclusively do anything that Ward and Glatzel couldn't, oh and they have an attackers brain and a tidy touch and eye for goal that Paterson doesn't.
    That’s the good thing about opinions

Paterson was a right back for Hearts and Scotland, Warnock wanted to use him as a battering ram so said he couldn’t defend! If they’re both fit,I’d start with Glatzel then bring on Ward. Use Paterson in his correct position and as a backup centre forward until we bring someone else in the next window. Paterson will save us money as only one right back needed for next season!

I expect Patto to start as usual. May need to freshen wingers up as Hoilett looking leggy.

Just a point in this Callum Paterson is not a striker argument - he has 7 goals this season, same as Glatzel and Ward. He scored 10 goals in the season we went up.

He’s not a natural striker but he puts in hell of a shift every game, often the only blue shirt in the oppositions half at times.

With another game on Friday we may need to rotate the squad but we shouldn’t under value his contribution to the side