+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: FT: CARDIFF CITY 2 - 3 BLACKBURN ROVERS. Match thread

Re: CARDIFF CITY v BLACKBURN ROVERS. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    That’s the good thing about opinions
    That I'm right and you're wrong?

I don't think anyone is arguing Glatzel & Ward aren't technically better strikers than Pats. Glatzel looks a classy player but seems to lack the Championship know-how & hardness that would allow 46 x 90mins. He is an instinctive finisher but IMO does not offer enough in the early stages. He's almost definitely better than what he's shown this season but is not someone I'd bank on next year whether it be in the Championship or beyond. Doesn't seem to be aware of his own build & size.

I love Wardy, classic finisher with clever movement. Just let down by a lack of pace and power which is unmissable when up against two lout centre halves. Bagged some crucial goals over the years (Fulham (A) difference between 2nd & 3rd, of course) but cannot be considered a starter for me. He is limp and tires quickly, and is much more suited to playing vs a ragged defence (who isn't?!).

I think some are severely underestimating
    a) the work Paterson does for 70 odd minutes
    b) the impact that 70 minutes of hard-running & getting leathered can have on a back four / the space it creates

Paterson leading the line is not what I envisaged this time last year. I was hoping for the class-act 20 goals a season lad we've been lacking for a good decade now. It wasn't to be. When you consider our 3 options and what they offer, it is clear that Paterson from the off is our most effective. He is hard to watch at the best of times, seeing him entangled in melee's on the deck more suited to the egg-chasing also f***s my head up - but it's the best thing we've got. He is by now an experienced Championship battler who knows the score, has done it before and has a real love for the club. Selecting Glatzel or Ward now for our last five games seems backwards. We have watched the pair start & make little impact, also leaving us with less options of the bench to switch it up. I understand the disdain / perceived 'small-mindedness' for condoning /supporting this brutality of Pats up top, and would take a different stance if it were October, but when it's crunch-time I will take those points any which way please sir.

This is a point that has been cited abundantly that I will reiterate for the sake of this post. Like it or not, he does much of the dirty-work that enables the likes of Tomlin, NML (another with slow starter but super sub syndrome), Ward & Glatzel to benefit. Anyone doubting that has clearly never played 90 minutes of football and experienced the fatigue of body & mind that comes in the closing stages - regardless of the level you're playing at. Paterson gets at the back four, runs them ragged down the channels and hits sh*t out them to boot. It isn't pretty, but underestimating his work rate and contribution to the team, as doglike as it is, seems to me, shortsighted. It is all good and well saying "he had a great 20 mins, imagine he played all 90", but the fact is - coming off the bench as a striker is a completely different animal to starting the game. I sincerely believe he offers a physicality that Glatzel is yet to discover and Ward does not have.

Is it a coincidence we're up there in 'Goals from Subs' & 'Last 15 Goals' charts? Or that our strikers don't score from the start but are prolific off the bench?

We all suffer delusions of grandeur of the fancy football pipedream where actual footballers play in their actual positions. So I forgive you. Are we going to simply outplay Brentford and Fulham in the play-offs? You've got to work with what you have.

Any lone striker featuring in our more recent set-ups isn't going to have it easy, especially in the first half. I am not saying Pats is City's greatest No.9 of all time but we have somehow forged a winning formula, I'll stick please guvnor.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Just a point in this Callum Paterson is not a striker argument - he has 7 goals this season, same as Glatzel and Ward. He scored 10 goals in the season we went up.

He’s not a natural striker but he puts in hell of a shift every game, often the only blue shirt in the oppositions half at times.

With another game on Friday we may need to rotate the squad but we shouldn’t under value his contribution to the side
    I think Pato softens and wind up defender's , and is started for that very reason , it perhaps then allows fresh ,legs to come on with 20 to go finish them off , it does seem when Glatzel and Ward start they run out of ideas after 70 minutes, perhaps they are better suited as impact sub's and not full 90 minute strikers

Quote Originally Posted by 1927stepsbeyond View Post
    I don't think anyone is arguing Glatzel & Ward aren't technically better strikers than Pats. Glatzel looks a classy player but seems to lack the Championship know-how & hardness that would allow 46 x 90mins. He is an instinctive finisher but IMO does not offer enough in the early stages. He's almost definitely better than what he's shown this season but is not someone I'd bank on next year whether it be in the Championship or beyond. Doesn't seem to be aware of his own build & size.

I love Wardy, classic finisher with clever movement. Just let down by a lack of pace and power which is unmissable when up against two lout centre halves. Bagged some crucial goals over the years (Fulham (A) difference between 2nd & 3rd, of course) but cannot be considered a starter for me. He is limp and tires quickly, and is much more suited to playing vs a ragged defence (who isn't?!).

b) the impact that 70 minutes of hard-running & getting leathered can have on a back four / the space it creates

Paterson leading the line is not what I envisaged this time last year. I was hoping for the class-act 20 goals a season lad we've been lacking for a good decade now. It wasn't to be. When you consider our 3 options and what they offer, it is clear that Paterson from the off is our most effective. He is hard to watch at the best of times, seeing him entangled in melee's on the deck more suited to the egg-chasing also f***s my head up - but it's the best thing we've got. He is by now an experienced Championship battler who knows the score, has done it before and has a real love for the club. Selecting Glatzel or Ward now for our last five games seems backwards. We have watched the pair start & make little impact, also leaving us with less options of the bench to switch it up. I understand the disdain / perceived 'small-mindedness' for condoning /supporting this brutality of Pats up top, and would take a different stance if it were October, but when it's crunch-time I will take those points any which way please sir.

This is a point that has been cited abundantly that I will reiterate for the sake of this post. Like it or not, he does much of the dirty-work that enables the likes of Tomlin, NML (another with slow starter but super sub syndrome), Ward & Glatzel to benefit. Anyone doubting that has clearly never played 90 minutes of football and experienced the fatigue of body & mind that comes in the closing stages - regardless of the level you're playing at. Paterson gets at the back four, runs them ragged down the channels and hits sh*t out them to boot. It isn't pretty, but underestimating his work rate and contribution to the team, as doglike as it is, seems to me, shortsighted. It is all good and well saying "he had a great 20 mins, imagine he played all 90", but the fact is - coming off the bench as a striker is a completely different animal to starting the game. I sincerely believe he offers a physicality that Glatzel is yet to discover and Ward does not have.

Is it a coincidence we're up there in 'Goals from Subs' & 'Last 15 Goals' charts? Or that our strikers don't score from the start but are prolific off the bench?

We all suffer delusions of grandeur of the fancy football pipedream where actual footballers play in their actual positions. So I forgive you. Are we going to simply outplay Brentford and Fulham in the play-offs? You've got to work with what you have.

Any lone striker featuring in our more recent set-ups isn't going to have it easy, especially in the first half. I am not saying Pats is City's greatest No.9 of all time but we have somehow forged a winning formula, I'll stick please guvnor.
    excellent post

Quote Originally Posted by 1927stepsbeyond View Post

I looked... this was your 6th post since 2017...but it sums up exactly how I feel...(and tried and failed to express 🤣).... why don’t you post more often? Good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    It’s probably futile, but would you concede that playing Paterson up top means that we have to play differently to when someone else plays that role...or perhaps you think that Ward (Or Glatzel for that matter) would be more effective than Paterson at the pressing game?
    I think we play different when we make changes, others argue we play the same game.

I see your point about pressing, so we would play slightly different if Ward/Glatzel started. The other 9 outfield players jobs wouldn't change and the striker would still be there to pick up the balls played up top, we would be swapping a nuisance that falls over a lot for a mobile player that knows where to run and can bring more goal threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Not really in my opinion. People say Paterson is used up top to tire defenders down, that's rubbish and equally something a fit striker who finishes can do. Some people say he is good at heading as an outlet, they're incorrect, it's one of the worst points of his game. Some other people believe that he is good at holding the ball up, which I'd say whilst he isn't really good at that, he is good at going down at the first sign of contact, well a fit striker who knows where the net is can do that.

Point is, he doesn't exclusively do anything that Ward and Glatzel couldn't, oh and they have an attackers brain and a tidy touch and eye for goal that Paterson doesn't.
    :congrats:

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Not really in my opinion. People say Paterson is used up top to tire defenders down, that's rubbish and equally something a fit striker who finishes can do. Some people say he is good at heading as an outlet, they're incorrect, it's one of the worst points of his game. Some other people believe that he is good at holding the ball up, which I'd say whilst he isn't really good at that, he is good at going down at the first sign of contact, well a fit striker who knows where the net is can do that.

Point is, he doesn't exclusively do anything that Ward and Glatzel couldn't, oh and they have an attackers brain and a tidy touch and eye for goal that Paterson DOESN’T
    Scored 7 , how many have Robert & Danny scored.

There’s no “I”, in team, and the tactics at the moment (notice, AT THE MOMENT) work for this TEAM !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Scored 7 , how many have Robert & Danny scored.

There’s no “I”, in team, and the tactics at the moment (notice, AT THE MOMENT) work for this TEAM !!!!
    Since the restart is probably a good place to start on recent form.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post

I love these portable “goalposts”

Don’t stand up to quick !!!!

Danny Ward 847 mins 6 goals

Robert Glatzel 1518 mins 6 goals

Callum Paterson 1696 mins 5 goals.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/25...allum-Paterson

Seems relevant. But I've posted stats down below too.

Was fine yesterday and fine today, was on hold to the doctor's 15 mins from 8.30 and got knocked off 2 mins ago. And people asked why I did work related stuff yesterday...

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    OK, let’s, :———/

3 games starting with Patts, WON

1 game, not starting with Patts, drew

Nuf said

Doctor’s receptionists “rule the world”, didn’t you know

Sort your to and toos out

Why do people keep on saying “start without Patts” ????

He’s not the greatest, anyone can see that, BUT the 3 (THREE), games we’ve won, since the restart, we’ve had a plan in operation.

The one game we abandoned this plan, was the worst game of the season , not just since the comeback.

Yes, Robert went off injured, BUT, JUST BUT, maybe he was trying to hard to impress, whereas when he comes on as sub, the physical side of the game, has been sorted out by Patts.

Everyone wants to see skilful players, BUT, if you’ve got a winning formula, why change it . WE DID AND ONLY DREW, AGAINST LOWLY CHARLTON

LEAVE WELL ALONE
    Patterson has scored many vital goals. I may be wrong but many of them seem to have been from wishing the six yard box our just outside it often from rebounds or knock downs and all credit to him for that.
    The type of goals that an old fashioned no. 10 would score.

As a number 9, other than being a nuisance, he isn’t so effective.

He

OK, let’s, :———/

3 games starting with Patts, WON

1 game, not starting with Patts, drew

Nuf said

Doctor’s receptionists “rule the world”, didn’t you know
    In the four games since the resumption of games Paterson has played 255 mins [Leeds: 65 mins, PNE: 65 mins, Charlton: 45 mins & Bristol C: 80 mins]. During that time City scored one goal. Paterson is still waiting for a goal.

In these games where Paterson was not on the pitch City scored 5 goals in the 105 mins.

Hence with Paterson it's a goal every 255 mins. Without Paterson it's a goal every 26 mins.

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    In the four games since the resumption of games Paterson has played 255 mins [Leeds: 65 mins, PNE: 65 mins, Charlton: 45 mins & Bristol C: 80 mins]. During that time City scored one goal. Paterson is still waiting for a goal.

In these games where Paterson was not on the pitch City scored 5 goals in the 105 mins.

Hence with Paterson it's a goal every 255 mins. Without Paterson it's a goal every 26 mins.

StT.
    <><

BUT, and I don’t know how many times I have to write this, three times we have started with Patts, WE HAVE WON. The one game we didn’t start with Patts, we drew.

It doesn’t matter about how many minutes, what a certain player played, the SYSTEM WORKED.

Once the system stops working, then change it. Don’t change it for changing sake.

I am not saying I’m over the moon with the system, but I (and no-one else) can say it doesn’t work.

FFS, you watch, we’ll go and barsteward lose tonight now, so you can all go “I TOLD YOU SO”

BUT, and I don’t know how many times I have to write this, three times we have started with Patts, WE HAVE WON. The one game we didn’t start with Patts, we drew.

It doesn’t matter about how many minutes, what a certain player played, the SYSTEM WORKED.

Once the system stops working, then change it. Don’t change it for changing sake.

I am not saying I’m over the moon with the system, but I (and no-one else) can say it doesn’t work.

FFS, you watch, we’ll go and barsteward lose tonight now, so you can all go “I TOLD YOU SO”
    And when Paterson is on the pitch we have scored ONE goal. When he has not been on the pitch we have scored FIVE goals.

StT.
    <><

And when Paterson is on the pitch we have scored ONE goal. When he has not been on the pitch we have scored FIVE goals.

StT.
    <><
    But when he didn’t start, we drew

But when he didn’t start, we drew
    ....and more significantly didn’t score in that game either against arguably the easiest opposition of the 4....

Paterson is fitter than the other 2 as well in my opinion

Cardiff City XI: Smithies; Sanderson, Morrison, Nelson, Bennett; Vaulks, Bacuna; Murphy, Ralls, Hoilett; Glatzel

Subs: Etheridge, Flint, Bamba, Smith, Pack, Whyte, Tomlin, Ward, Paterson.

Resting NML?

Rain forecast, suited us up at Preston.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Cardiff City XI: Smithies; Sanderson, Morrison, Nelson, Bennett; Vaulks, Bacuna; Murphy, Ralls, Hoilett; Glatzel

Resting NML?
    That's the line up I expected but with NML for Murphy.
    Can only assume NML is carrying an injury as not featuring at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

Resting NML?
    No start for Tomlin ?

StT.
    <><
    Someone of your age and experience knows only too well that it's easier to score goals later on, especially when you bring on good players against tired defenders, so I'm surprised you've contributed this load of drivel. Glatzel and Ward have done so well as substitutes for this reason.

Glatzel has started 19 league games this season. We've won 5. He's scored 3 when he's started a league game. He's scored 3 in 6 games when he's been a substitute.

Ward has started 7 league games this season. We've won 1. He's scored once when he's started a league game. He's scored 4 in 16 games when he's been a substitute.

Paterson has started 17 league games this season. We've won 9. He's scored 4 goals when he's started a league game. He's scored once in 15 games when he's been a substitute.