+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: What's the point....

What's the point....

.....of doing our damndest to get into the Premier League, if we've got absolutely no chance (given the owner's track record of support) of staying there - or even trying to compete there?

Is City the new "Yo-yo" club?

Re: What's the point....

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    .....of doing our damndest to get into the Premier League, if we've got absolutely no chance (given the owner's track record of support) of staying there - or even trying to compete there?

Dosh.

We spent £50m last season and were 3 points away from staying up. You also get 100m to get promoted. Who cares how we do it or how good we are, worry about that when you’re there. We can’t afford not to go up. This thread is becoming a weekly post and it’s so strange. How are we going to rebuild our squad without PL money? With our wage bill and let players on decent money, you can’t.

It's good fun for the fans isnt it? Being promoted against all the odds and being the underdog when we're there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    . This thread is becoming a weekly post and it’s so strange. How are we going to rebuild our squad without PL money? With our wage bill and let players on decent money, you can’t.
    Good to know that loads of posters have the same concerns - and if Tan and his accountants were bothered about income in the past, they would have invested far more than the niggardly £50m they did out of £120m last time.

Absolutely true, if we do go up, as usual we'll be fighting with one hand tied around our back

Well we get the chance to be “plucky Cardiff City” again, for one...

I like being plucky cardiff

We have never been a fancy dan club

That's why I loved players like willie boland , Bonner and like players that get stuck in and roll their sleeves up

I dont think the premier league is suited to us

It's full of diving ponces who spend most of the game on their arses

But hopefully one day we will go up , put the cat amongst the pigeons and kick a few backsides and in the process stay up for a few years

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Sorry, but my first memories of City were that they were a top Division One club. They were in the top league for most of the 1950s and I remember my old team, Pompey, being threatened with relegation one season until they beat City home and away at Easter to stay up.

A lot of folk on here have a small-minded, 'like-it-in-the-lower-divisions' mentality, when with the catchment area we'll have in ten years time and our stadium, we should be thinking Premiership.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

That's why I loved players like willie boland , Bonner and like players that get stuck in and roll their sleeves up

It's full of diving ponces who spend most of the game on their arses

But hopefully one day we will go up , put the cat amongst the pigeons and kick a few backsides and in the process stay up for a few years
    Sheffield United seemed to have bucked the trend. A lot has to do with the manager/coach. I you go into the premiership with tactics of 10 men behind the ball and pray for a point, you will certainly come straight back down

Good to know that loads of posters have the same concerns - and if Tan and his accountants were bothered about income in the past, they would have invested far more than the niggardly £50m they did out of £120m last time.
    Fulham and Villa spending 100m worked well, didn't it? How do you suggest we improve without PL money? If we rip it up and start again there's a very good chance we won't get back. We can't pick and chose your promotion, you have to take the opportunities you get.

Fulham and Villa spending 100m worked well, didn't it? How do you suggest we improve without PL money? If we rip it up and start again there's a very good chance we won't get back. We can't pick and chose your promotion, you have to take the opportunities you get.
    You keep saying this, but spending £35M didn't work either. Obviously spending more money doesn't give you any guarantees but a squad of better players has to be better than a squad of limited ones right? The last time we went up, our squad just wasn't good enough and our best player was a loanee who seemed to lose all motivation when we needed him most. I think the "not wanting to get promoted" school of thought is more about not wanting to get relegated after one season again. Maybe Harris will be a better EPL manager than Warnock, maybe he'll buy better players. I think he's gradually improved the way the team sets up and plays football. So who knows?

City were in the top league for half of the 1950s, so 5 seasons, the other 5 in Division 2. Division Two is our normal placing based on history of clubs etc. But it doesn't matter as some lower League clubs go up and stay there, I'm thinK Southampton and Coventry in the 1960s who stayed there for years, bar one relegation for Soton. Bradford City , Barnsley , Swansea , Wimbledon etc have been there. Sheffield United are doing well this season, Villa who spent more have struggled.

We were a bit unfortunate last season, that offside goal against Chelsea cost us dear.

And we have now been relegated from the top flight in each of our last 3 seasons, 1962, 2014, 2019. And 4 of the last 5 seasons if you include 1956/57, the only season we didn't was 1960/61, so we hardly have record that says we will stay up. Norwich, WBA yo-yo up and down and Leicester used to too. Soton, Norwich, Stoke, Leeds and others all wen down to the 3rd tier, and Wolves. Some went straight through from the PL. Sunderland too.

But if we can get up this season it think we'd all take it. Mindy you we'd need about 20 new players if we did.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    You keep saying this, but spending £35M didn't work either. Obviously spending more money doesn't give you any guarantees but a squad of better players has to be better than a squad of limited ones right? The last time we went up, our squad just wasn't good enough and our best player was a loanee who seemed to lose all motivation when we needed him most. I think the "not wanting to get promoted" school of thought is more about not wanting to get relegated after one season again. Maybe Harris will be a better EPL manager than Warnock, maybe he'll buy better players. I think he's gradually improved the way the team sets up and plays football. So who knows?
    Are we going to be able to fix the problems we have in the Champ? No. Can you guarantee promotion at any time? No. If we can get promoted, it is a ****ing mental argument. If you don't want to see us lose every other week, that's a fair point but every single side outside the top 6 does that.

Also, had Sala survived, I think we'd have pulled it off.

Banned

With stadiums likely to be closed for a period next season, this is the most important time to go up ever. We may end up going straight back down, but we'd be far better off than most Championship clubs who were left behind.

Part of it is building a team over a few seasons that grows together. Throwing money at promotion doesn't always work well, though it did in Wolves' case. Swansea are a perfect example of that. They improved what they could bit by bit and the players were good enough when they won promotion to not only stay up, but to do quite well initially.

That's why I think that had we won promotion a decade ago, we'd have been ok. We had some good footballers who would have been fine in the top flight that had played with each other for a few years. Age was on our side in many cases as well.

The contrasting fortunes of big spenders like Wolves, Fulham and Villa vs smaller spenders like us, Sheffield Utd and Norwich show that there is more than one way to do it - thank god.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Part of it is building a team over a few seasons that grows together. Throwing money at promotion doesn't always work well, though it did in Wolves' case. Swansea are a perfect example of that. They improved what they could bit by bit and the players were good enough when they won promotion to not only stay up, but to do quite well initially.

That's why I think that had we won promotion a decade ago, we'd have been ok. We had some good footballers who would have been fine in the top flight that had played with each other for a few years. Age was on our side in many cases as well.
    We don't have the money to do that, and the clubs that have built over a few years have often come up from League One. The sides that have gone up and stayed up recently, have flown up through League One (Sheff Utd, Leicester, Southampton) or have spent an absolute fortune in the Championship (Newcastle, Leicester, Wolves etc). The exception is Burnley.

International

I think the basic point is that if you are not going to play to win then why b other playing at all!