+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Return to Smallsville

Re: Return to Smallsville

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    agree vindec and yet the government gives the green light to a project that costs around 108 billion quid and years behind schedule to make people get to Birmingham to London 20 minutes quicker !
    I agree HS2 is likely to be a waste of money but the M4 Relief Road so clearly isn't. The fact the Johnson mentioned at PMQs that the money was available probably means the road will never be built as the Welsh government seemingly will want to demonstrate its independence to the detriment of South Wales.

If you mean Ineos not coming to Bridgend because of the cancellation of the M4 relief road, then check the dates. Ineos agreed to consider Bridgend about 3 months after the relief road was cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    People aren't 'sitting together'. As I said they're mindful of others. It's a question of attitude. Yours is typical here in Wales. In England they're just more positive and getting on with things.
    Celebrating the strategy of a country with such a disastrous record whose attitude is to place opening Wetherspoons ahead of opening schools doesn’t work for me.

Not for another 1500+ who have lost their jobs here today. Then again Wales has today been the 1st nation to introduce bike passing distance signs.
    Can you account for the welsh assembly's role in the several thousand job losses announced in england today ?

Big mistake, in my opinion, opening a load of amenities at the same time, could be difficult to spot the source of an increase in cases. I’m glad I’m living in Wales watching how it pans out for our English guinea pigs, we’ve come so far it’d be a sickener to catch it now, it’d be like being shot at ten to eleven on Armistice Day.

People aren't 'sitting together'. As I said they're mindful of others. It's a question of attitude. Yours is typical here in Wales. In England they're just more positive and getting on with things.
    What about the attitude of the estimated 500000 people who swamped bournemouth from all over England the other day ?

Do you think they were " mindful " of others ? Were they positive and getting on with things ?

It looked like a load of english people ignoring social distancing and putting others at risk to me

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I find it hard to understand why everyone can't see that the Assembly is holding this country back - and drastically. Wales has always lagged behind England in terms of infrastructure and investment, and this is getting worse, rather than better. You can see the difference almost as soon as you cross the bridge into England - it definitely looks wealthier and more prosperous.
    The only conclusion I can come to, is that the Labour led Assembly wants nothing to do with the UK Parliament, and they will deliberately avoid any co-operation with Whitehall, even when it means they are effectively hurting themselves, and hurting Wales. A classic case of 'cutting off your nose to spite your face'. The M4 corridor is a classic example. The same ailment seems to afflict Scotland.
    Now, whereas I agree that Wales (and Scotland) should have some manner of self-government, this current stance is starting to affect us all, here in Wales. It might change if we had a change of government (either here or in London), but that seems unlikely at the moment. I'm not a raving Tory, but I can't help but feel that if the 'red wall' had fallen in Wales, we might get something done at last.
    England looks more healthy , wealthy and prosperous because it is more wealthy and prosperous

You cant build 50 wealthy Hertfordshire towns in south wales overnight

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    You can see the difference almost as soon as you cross the bridge into England - it definitely looks wealthier and more prosperous.
    What do you think when you drive through Ely (not in any way knocking Ely) up Cowbridge Rd, through Culverhouse Cross and then into the Vale? There’s massive differences all over the UK, England certainly can’t blow its own trumpet re. Eliteness, there are some horrendous places over the border, many areas are right scary and intimidating and are certainly lacking in wealth and prosperity.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    What do you think when you drive through Ely (not in any way knocking Ely) up Cowbridge Rd, through Culverhouse Cross and then into the Vale? There’s massive differences all over the UK, England certainly can’t blow its own trumpet re. Eliteness, there are some horrendous places over the border, many areas are right scary and intimidating and are certainly lacking in wealth and prosperity.
    Parts of the vale of glamorgan could be surrey stockbroker commuter belt , parts of the vale have high levels of poverty

Anyone who thinks england is all happiness and light should visit parts of easton in bristol , the swilley in plymouth , inner city birmingham , parts of hackney etc

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Parts of the vale of glamorgan could be surrey stockbroker commuter belt , parts of the vale have high levels of poverty

Anyone who thinks england is all happiness and light should visit parts of easton in bristol , the swilley in plymouth , inner city birmingham , parts of hackney etc
    Exactly, ‘it looks wealthier and more prosperous’, what a ridiculous, sweeping statement. Some parts of England are nigh on third world, which in this day and age is a bloody scandal.

Just back after visiting my son & fiance in Bishops Stortford for a few days. It's difficult to convey in words just how life and attitudes are there , [ or 'over the border' as it's now referred to.].

The place was bustling. cafes open, restaurants busy, shops busy, pubs open and full, everyone happy - but mindful of respecting other people's space. People I met and spoke to are looking for every opportunity to get moving as quickly as possible.

Then back here. M4 relief road cancelled for 'environmental reasons'. Firms not bringing jobs because of it. An administration doing everything in it's power to differentiate from England and UK. Almost rejoicing in their grim, depressing, relentless droning about how they'll do it 'our way'. And what's more, pretty much everyone in Wales backing them.

I'm Welsh, but were I 10yrs younger would seriously consider moving 'over the border'..
    I do think we need a more dynamic country ,however its not going to be easy as its never going to changer its political landscape.

we have control over business rates ,transport infrastructure a dynamic country woudl expose those so they become competitive and business friendly.

A quick tour of Nottingham would soon shatter their delusions

England looks more healthy , wealthy and prosperous because it is more wealthy and prosperous

You cant build 50 wealthy Hertfordshire towns in south wales overnight
    Stereotyping all of England as being healthy, wealthy and prosperous is incredibly amusing.

I'm not sure where in my original post I alluded to wealth or prosperity. My post was about the difference in attitude - of people and more significantly in Wales - the Government.

I'm not sure where in my original post I alluded to wealth or prosperity. My post was about the difference in attitude - of people and more significantly in Wales - the Government.
    Like all threads, this one evolved and if you read back through it I was replying to tforturton, who mentioned wealth and prosperity.

Like all threads, this one evolved and if you read back through it I was replying to tforturton, who mentioned wealth and prosperity.
    England will be ‘buzzing’ with the virus again soon. I’m content to know that WG are putting health before Tory lobbyists.

plus ca change

Banned

They're more positive in England because you're in Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    England will be ‘buzzing’ with the virus again soon. I’m content to know that WG are putting health before Tory lobbyists.
    Do you really think that? The WG are reliant on the scientific information produced in London and then the Welsh put their own stamp on it. Wales will follow England but will put their own slant on it. It's probably more to do with the WG wanting to be seen to be independent that is the main driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Stereotyping all of England as being healthy, wealthy and prosperous is incredibly amusing.
    Well it might be amusing but its a fact

England is on all social indicators more healthy , wealthy and prosperous than wales

I have alluded that it has pockets of deprivation if you care to read the post

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    A quick tour of Nottingham would soon shatter their delusions
    Hyson green

It's a question of attitude. Yours is typical here in Wales. In England they're just more positive and getting on with things.
    "How can you not permit people into a stadium because of social distancing guidelines/rules, whilst allowing 30 footballers, support staff etc. to be as close as physically possible?" (AQM, 17/04/20)

"If social distancing is still in place then how can footballers, staff, etc avoid contact - one rule for one, one rule for another isn't going to go down well. Secondly, by the end of the year there'll be no sponsorship in football. Even if my first point is overcome, no-one is going to pay to watch football played behind closed doors. I doubt any club could pay wages. The only people working will be those in the public sector, and who will be paying them? For those not working - prob 5-6 million, and those furloughed, paying a monthly fee to watch pampered players stroll around an empty ground isn't really going to happen either." (AQM, 23/04/20)

"You'd have to test anything up to 200 each game. If someone comes back positive after a game you would have to restrict both teams for more testing, and waiting, and teams they are going to play, and them, and so on. Having a few thousand people travelling everywhere throughout England and Wales every 3-4 days could probably be one of the worst options." (AQM, 23/04/20)

"The so-called Premier League start up behind closed doors is fraught with problems, and I suspect will draw objections from all areas of society." (AQM, 30/04/20)

"The 'new normal' - the government locks the people up whenever they consider it's in the public interest." (AQM, 28/05/20)

A Quiet Monkfish - unerringly positive throughout the Covid-19 pandemic.

Then back here. M4 relief road cancelled for 'environmental reasons'. Firms not bringing jobs because of it. An administration doing everything in it's power to differentiate from England and UK. Almost rejoicing in their grim, depressing, relentless droning about how they'll do it 'our way'. And what's more, pretty much everyone in Wales backing them.
    I find it quite nauseating that Boris has said the UK government is going to intervene and get it build. Given the number of projects that would have benefitted Wales that the Tories have decided not to fund after all (electrification of the line to Swansea and beyond etc), for them to make political of this reeks of crass opportunism.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    "How can you not permit people into a stadium because of social distancing guidelines/rules, whilst allowing 30 footballers, support staff etc. to be as close as physically possible?" (AQM, 17/04/20)

"If social distancing is still in place then how can footballers, staff, etc avoid contact - one rule for one, one rule for another isn't going to go down well. Secondly, by the end of the year there'll be no sponsorship in football. Even if my first point is overcome, no-one is going to pay to watch football played behind closed doors. I doubt any club could pay wages. The only people working will be those in the public sector, and who will be paying them? For those not working - prob 5-6 million, and those furloughed, paying a monthly fee to watch pampered players stroll around an empty ground isn't really going to happen either." (AQM, 23/04/20)

"You'd have to test anything up to 200 each game. If someone comes back positive after a game you would have to restrict both teams for more testing, and waiting, and teams they are going to play, and them, and so on. Having a few thousand people travelling everywhere throughout England and Wales every 3-4 days could probably be one of the worst options." (AQM, 23/04/20)

"The so-called Premier League start up behind closed doors is fraught with problems, and I suspect will draw objections from all areas of society." (AQM, 30/04/20)

"The 'new normal' - the government locks the people up whenever they consider it's in the public interest." (AQM, 28/05/20)

A Quiet Monkfish - unerringly positive throughout the Covid-19 pandemic.
    I think this is what is commonly known as a bloody good leathering

International

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Does that include the good people of Leicester?
    On first minister's Questions this week someone asked Drakeford about the money offereed by the UK Government and could it be used to fund the alternative if one was found.
    He said (quite rudely) 'I've pot no idea where the member gets this information from. the UK government hasn't offered any money, never has offered any money and will not offer any money. It's a figment of your imagination"