+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Return to Smallsville

International

Re: Return to Smallsville

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I find it hard to understand why everyone can't see that the Assembly is holding this country back - and drastically. Wales has always lagged behind England in terms of infrastructure and investment, and this is getting worse, rather than better. You can see the difference almost as soon as you cross the bridge into England - it definitely looks wealthier and more prosperous.
    The only conclusion I can come to, is that the Labour led Assembly wants nothing to do with the UK Parliament, and they will deliberately avoid any co-operation with Whitehall, even when it means they are effectively hurting themselves, and hurting Wales. A classic case of 'cutting off your nose to spite your face'. The M4 corridor is a classic example. The same ailment seems to afflict Scotland.
    Now, whereas I agree that Wales (and Scotland) should have some manner of self-government, this current stance is starting to affect us all, here in Wales. It might change if we had a change of government (either here or in London), but that seems unlikely at the moment. I'm not a raving Tory, but I can't help but feel that if the 'red wall' had fallen in Wales, we might get something done at last.

The other week someone said that Mark Drakeford view Wales like a large country park where everything is idyllic and there are no roads with cars driving around and no industry polluting the atmosphere. some of his decision would seem to back that up.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    On first minister's Questions this week someone asked Drakeford about the money offereed by the UK Government and could it be used to fund the alternative if one was found.
    He said (quite rudely) 'I've pot no idea where the member gets this information from. the UK government hasn't offered any money, never has offered any money and will not offer any money. It's a figment of your imagination"
    I've got no idea what you're talking about. Neither do I care. I voted against the Welsh Assembly and I am opposed to devolution. I think Drakeford's a bellend. However, I also think Monkfish's comments about positive attitudes are laughable considering he's been veering between doom-monger and drama queen for much of the last three months.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I find it quite nauseating that Boris has said the UK government is going to intervene and get it build. Given the number of projects that would have benefitted Wales that the Tories have decided not to fund after all (electrification of the line to Swansea and beyond etc), for them to make political of this reeks of crass opportunism.
    Quite right which is why the welsh Government will refuse the money!

International

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I've got no idea what you're talking about. Neither do I care. I voted against the Welsh Assembly and I am opposed to devolution. I think Drakeford's a bellend. However, I also think Monkfish's comments about positive attitudes are laughable considering he's been veering between doom-monger and drama queen for much of the last three months.
    not arguing with any of that. I was just commenting on the relief road thing. Drakeford saying there is no government money and there never was. I'm fairly sure i recall that there was an offer but only to be used for the road and the welsh government wanted the money and then they decide what to do with it. Which we all know would not have been the road.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I find it hard to understand why everyone can't see that the Assembly is holding this country back - and drastically. Wales has always lagged behind England in terms of infrastructure and investment, and this is getting worse, rather than better. You can see the difference almost as soon as you cross the bridge into England - it definitely looks wealthier and more prosperous.
    The only conclusion I can come to, is that the Labour led Assembly wants nothing to do with the UK Parliament, and they will deliberately avoid any co-operation with Whitehall, even when it means they are effectively hurting themselves, and hurting Wales. A classic case of 'cutting off your nose to spite your face'. The M4 corridor is a classic example. The same ailment seems to afflict Scotland.
    Now, whereas I agree that Wales (and Scotland) should have some manner of self-government, this current stance is starting to affect us all, here in Wales. It might change if we had a change of government (either here or in London), but that seems unlikely at the moment. I'm not a raving Tory, but I can't help but feel that if the 'red wall' had fallen in Wales, we might get something done at last.
    Is this an attempt at satire?

The Welsh Government relies on funding from Westminster, which is insufficient. Wales has more social problems than England and that requires funding. Wales doesn't have the financial services that keep the UK afloat. Wales doesn't have much money.

Is it no surprise that there's a lack of infrastructure and investment when we have a UK government unwilling to invest in Wales? How many potential projects do we hear about that never come to fruition? It's a piss take by Boris Johnson to talk about funding ta new motorway to alleviate the problems at the Brynglas tunnels given the times his government have decided to withdraw funding for projects in Wales.

As for Scotland, it seems to be doing well for itself and pro-Scottish politics is rising to the point where another referendum is surely going to happen.

Answer me one question - how does playing second fiddle to England benefit Wales?

Is this an attempt at satire?

The Welsh Government relies on funding from Westminster, which is insufficient. Wales has more social problems than England and that requires funding. Wales doesn't have the financial services that keep the UK afloat. Wales doesn't have much money.

Is it no surprise that there's a lack of infrastructure and investment when we have a UK government unwilling to invest in Wales? How many potential projects do we hear about that never come to fruition? It's a piss take by Boris Johnson to talk about funding ta new motorway to alleviate the problems at the Brynglas tunnels given the times his government have decided to withdraw funding for projects in Wales.

As for Scotland, it seems to be doing well for itself and pro-Scottish politics is rising to the point where another referendum is surely going to happen.

Answer me one question - how does playing second fiddle to England benefit Wales?
    really ? It can afford an additional 60 MP's [sort of MP's] .

not arguing with any of that. I was just commenting on the relief road thing. Drakeford saying there is no government money and there never was. I'm fairly sure i recall that there was an offer but only to be used for the road and the welsh government wanted the money and then they decide what to do with it. Which we all know would not have been the road.
    There's a big difference between being pro-Welsh and anti -English. I think Drakeford & Co take pleasure in blurring the lines..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    There's a big difference between being pro-Welsh and anti -English. I think Drakeford & Co take pleasure in blurring the lines..
    Do you, really? I don’t think there’s any anti English sentiment delivered nor insinuated.

I don’t think he blurs the lines at all when commenting when he thinks Boris & co are acting like a gaggle of twats.

Drakeford is not my cup of tea, carwyn jones was much more savvy

But I would rather him pulling some of the strings in wales than that **** boris , racist goon

If the Welsh Government is looking for good examples of how governments internationally are leading their nations safely out of lockdown I think England would be the last country to follow. The country with one of the highest numbers of avoidable excess deaths, an unfit for purpose testing and tracing system and a R rate close to 1 is now telling it’s citizens it is their patriotic duty to get together in a pub on a Saturday night. What could possibly go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Delbert View Post
    If the Welsh Government is looking for good examples of how governments internationally are leading their nations safely out of lockdown I think England would be the last country to follow. The country with one of the highest numbers of avoidable excess deaths, an unfit for purpose testing and tracing system and a R rate close to 1 is now telling it’s citizens it is their patriotic duty to get together in a pub on a Saturday night. What could possibly go wrong?
    Dont worry about that , just minor details

Quote Originally Posted by Delbert View Post
    Don’t be such a misery guts.

It’s lovely in Bishop Stortford, the birds are singing there and everyone is deliriously happy playing naked twister in the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Don’t be such a misery guts.

It’s lovely in Bishop Stortford, the birds are singing there and everyone is deliriously happy playing naked twister in the streets.
    Bishop Stortford, the Sodom & Gomorrah of the modern world, it’ll all end in tears y’know.

really ? It can afford an additional 60 MP's [sort of MP's] .
    Don't you like people in Wales making decisions about Wales or would you rather a predominantly English parliament decide for us?

Don't you like people in Wales making decisions about Wales or would you rather a predominantly English parliament decide for us?
    Well,
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...rging-18607120

Can you just imagine the effect on business, tourism. This is the solution - after the Govt.said it would fund the by pass. Apparently we're going to build a couple of train stations between Cardiff and the Bridge, so that'll be all right.

Well,
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...rging-18607120

Can you just imagine the effect on business, tourism. This is the solution - after the Govt.said it would fund the by pass. Apparently we're going to build a couple of train stations between Cardiff and the Bridge, so that'll be all right.
    South east wales accounts for the vast majority of the population , economic activity and traffic flow in this country

The travel by train is between cardiff , newport and bristol and the south wales valleys

Road travel is between swansea and bristol

The M4 is often blocked , the M50 often empty

We have geological issues that prevent us miraculously dealing with this traffic flow

Either we start charging people to use the roads as they do in the midlands or we build more roads or we improve the train service

You dont honestly think the tory government was serious about funding a new road do you ?

the midland congestion charges are coming into effect next year sludge

you are correct about the M50 the only motorway I enjoy driving on !

International

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    South east wales accounts for the vast majority of the population , economic activity and traffic flow in this country

The travel by train is between cardiff , newport and bristol and the south wales valleys

Road travel is between swansea and bristol

The M4 is often blocked , the M50 often empty

We have geological issues that prevent us miraculously dealing with this traffic flow

Either we start charging people to use the roads as they do in the midlands or we build more roads or we improve the train service

You dont honestly think the tory government was serious about funding a new road do you ?
    Why wouldn't they be serious. It fulfills the pledge to build out of the effects of the virus, shows the new Conservative voters they were serious about improving infrastructure outside the South east and it would give several years good employment to a lot of local people.
    I'd think the Conservative party would want to do all those things.

If this commission has been thinking this long and the only idea they can come up with is charging the motorist again they might as well not have bothered. There is no way the welsh government will put the necessary public transport in place before they start charging. The charges will start, the money will roll in and there will be excuse after excuse why nothing is being done.
    And better public transport won't do anything for the businesses that send heavy lorries down the motorway. Why would any company put its business in Wales knowing it has to pay the charges that I won't have to pay in Gloucestershire or Somerset? It's ridiculous.

Why wouldn't they be serious. It fulfills the pledge to build out of the effects of the virus, shows the new Conservative voters they were serious about improving infrastructure outside the South east and it would give several years good employment to a lot of local people.

If this commission has been thinking this long and the only idea they can come up with is charging the motorist again they might as well not have bothered. There is no way the welsh government will put the necessary public transport in place before they start charging. The charges will start, the money will roll in and there will be excuse after excuse why nothing is being done.
    And better public transport won't do anything for the businesses that send heavy lorries down the motorway. Why would any company put its business in Wales knowing it has to pay the charges that I won't have to pay in Gloucestershire or Somerset? It's ridiculous.
    I wouldnt trust the conservatives when it comes to pledges as far as I could kick them

That crap written about extra money for the NHS on the side of the bus ?

Bunch of ****ing chancers

Exactly what I thought. Even if they did build a couple of train stations do they seriously think 'public transport' is going to be a substitute for a motorway that delivers people, business people, tourists, goods and materials, directly to where they want to go. Comparisons to the midlands are superfluous - there are many alternative routes that can be used. The M4 is the gateway to probably 75% of business in Wales and 50% of tourism..

International

I wouldnt trust the conservatives when it comes to pledges as far as I could kick them

That crap written about extra money for the NHS on the side of the bus ?

Bunch of ****ing chancers
    I think you'll find, what ever your biased opinion, that the NHS 'quote' wasn't the Conservative party.

I think you'll find, what ever your biased opinion, that the NHS 'quote' wasn't the Conservative party.
    It was boris , leader of the tory party

That will do for me

International

It was boris , leader of the tory party

That will do for me
    Wasn't Jeremy part of the pro-bexit alliance too? So we can blame them both.

Just back after visiting my son & fiance in Bishops Stortford for a few days. It's difficult to convey in words just how life and attitudes are there , [ or 'over the border' as it's now referred to.].

The place was bustling. cafes open, restaurants busy, shops busy, pubs open and full, everyone happy - but mindful of respecting other people's space. People I met and spoke to are looking for every opportunity to get moving as quickly as possible.

Then back here. M4 relief road cancelled for 'environmental reasons'. Firms not bringing jobs because of it. An administration doing everything in it's power to differentiate from England and UK. Almost rejoicing in their grim, depressing, relentless droning about how they'll do it 'our way'. And what's more, pretty much everyone in Wales backing them.

I'm Welsh, but were I 10yrs younger would seriously consider moving 'over the border'..
    Why does your son live with your fiance?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Why does your son live with your fiance?