+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Return to Smallsville

Return to Smallsville

Just back after visiting my son & fiance in Bishops Stortford for a few days. It's difficult to convey in words just how life and attitudes are there , [ or 'over the border' as it's now referred to.].

The place was bustling. cafes open, restaurants busy, shops busy, pubs open and full, everyone happy - but mindful of respecting other people's space. People I met and spoke to are looking for every opportunity to get moving as quickly as possible.

Then back here. M4 relief road cancelled for 'environmental reasons'. Firms not bringing jobs because of it. An administration doing everything in it's power to differentiate from England and UK. Almost rejoicing in their grim, depressing, relentless droning about how they'll do it 'our way'. And what's more, pretty much everyone in Wales backing them.

I'm Welsh, but were I 10yrs younger would seriously consider moving 'over the border'..

Re: Return to Smallsville

The Promised Land here, innit?

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    The place was bustling. cafes open, restaurants busy, shops busy, pubs open and full, everyone happy - but mindful of respecting other people's space. People I met and spoke to are looking for every opportunity to get moving as quickly as possible.
    Are you saying everyone's not unemployed already?

I'm amazed.....

Just back after visiting my son & fiance in Bishops Stortford for a few days. It's difficult to convey in words just how life and attitudes are there , [ or 'over the border' as it's now referred to.].

Then back here. M4 relief road cancelled for 'environmental reasons'. Firms not bringing jobs because of it. An administration doing everything in it's power to differentiate from England and UK. Almost rejoicing in their grim, depressing, relentless droning about how they'll do it 'our way'. And what's more, pretty much everyone in Wales backing them.

I'm Welsh, but were I 10yrs younger would seriously consider moving 'over the border'..
    You could always move....

Did you know driving 50mph up a dual carriageway for about 4 miles can single handedly save the environment? Or me.

Or that few mile stretch through Newport, that you still have to do 50 through even though there's not a single car on the road (they turn them off the other side in Bristol at night, I know as I've tutted too many times under my Breath now..)

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Did you know driving 50mph up a dual carriageway for about 4 miles can single handedly save the environment? Or me.

Or that few mile stretch through Newport, that you still have to do 50 through even though there's not a single car on the road (they turn them off the other side in Bristol at night, I know as I've tutted too many times under my Breath now..)
    Must have left one of them on over the border last year, I got done about 2am doing 60 on the M5 going past Bristol (the Bridge was closed) after picking someone up from Bristol airport, must have known I was Welsh!!

If you need help with the train fare I am happy to set up an appeal fund

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Must have left one of them on over the border last year, I got done about 2am doing 60 on the M5 going past Bristol (the Bridge was closed) after picking someone up from Bristol airport, must have known I was Welsh!!
    That's some bad luck. They've always been off for me, although not often I'm lucky enough to pass at 2am.

I understand them through the Brynglass tunnels at peak times, but when the roads are dead they're pointless, unless it's an environmental reason? Then of so why just that part of the road?

Also, idiots on the a470 southbound into Cardiff.. the cameras stop just past upper boat and there's a glorious sign allowing you to drive 70mph. Saw a ****ing lorry pull out in front of someone today (limited to 56 aren't they?) through the 70 (60 for vans) part of the a470.. them cameras won't catch you there Karen..

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The Promised Land here, innit?
    Not for another 1500+ who have lost their jobs here today. Then again Wales has today been the 1st nation to introduce bike passing distance signs.

I appreciate the record in Wales is also very poor but I’m intrigued why in the middle of a global pandemic in a country with one of the most appalling records of excess avoidable deaths and with an unfit for purpose testing and tracing system and with a perilously high R rate that lots of people sitting together inside full pubs would be considered a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Delbert View Post
    I appreciate the record in Wales is also very poor but I’m intrigued why in the middle of a global pandemic in a country with one of the most appalling records of excess avoidable deaths and with an unfit for purpose testing and tracing system and with a perilously high R rate that lots of people sitting together inside full pubs would be considered a good thing.
    People aren't 'sitting together'. As I said they're mindful of others. It's a question of attitude. Yours is typical here in Wales. In England they're just more positive and getting on with things.

People aren't 'sitting together'. As I said they're mindful of others. It's a question of attitude. Yours is typical here in Wales. In England they're just more positive and getting on with things.
    I'm not sure a town the size of Bridgend is representative of all of England

I’ve just travelled back from visiting the kid I’d denied being his old man for years but had to pay the little sods mother her last CSA payment and curiosity got the better of me.

Anyway, I’ve digressed, back to my original point.

Leicester is about as vibrant as Abertillery is in November but hasn’t got the range of betting shops.

What’s happened in Leicester that’s it’s so different to Bishop Stortford?

The M4 Relief Road is mentioned in the earlier post. Has it really been cancelled? I travel to Cardiff on many Saturdays and find the traffic on the M4 westbound can back up as far as Magor. Surely the Welsh Government aren't that stupid not to deal with this bottleneck given the effect this must have on economic growth.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    He probably thought based on the OP that it had been cancelled in the last couple of days whilst he was away in England rather than 13 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    He probably thought based on the OP that it had been cancelled in the last couple of days whilst he was away in England rather than 13 months ago.
    PMQ's yesterday. Basically Johnson said he's happy to fund it, Plaid effectively told him to mind his own business. That was yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    The M4 Relief Road is mentioned in the earlier post. Has it really been cancelled? I travel to Cardiff on many Saturdays and find the traffic on the M4 westbound can back up as far as Magor. Surely the Welsh Government aren't that stupid not to deal with this bottleneck given the effect this must have on economic growth.
    During Wednesday's Prime Minister's Questions, he repeated his previous suggestion that the UK government would "unblock the Brynglas tunnels" with a "proper M4 bypass".

But with road building in Plaid Cymru's Liz Saville Roberts said Mr Johnson had shown "complete ignorance of how devolution works and for the environment too for that matter".

When asked about the prime minister's comments, Mr Hart acknowledged "it is a devolved matter, it is a matter for Welsh Government to do that".

"UK government has said it would provide the borrowing facilities, the ability to do that. But consistently Welsh Government have declined that offer and so we are at that rather stalemate period."Wales the responsibility of the Welsh Government in Cardiff, a spokesperson said Mr Johnson could not have a say on it.

It's a question of attitude. Yours is typical here in Wales. In England they're just more positive and getting on with things.
    Does that include the good people of Leicester?

During Wednesday's Prime Minister's Questions, he repeated his previous suggestion that the UK government would "unblock the Brynglas tunnels" with a "proper M4 bypass".

But with road building in Plaid Cymru's Liz Saville Roberts said Mr Johnson had shown "complete ignorance of how devolution works and for the environment too for that matter".

When asked about the prime minister's comments, Mr Hart acknowledged "it is a devolved matter, it is a matter for Welsh Government to do that".

"UK government has said it would provide the borrowing facilities, the ability to do that. But consistently Welsh Government have declined that offer and so we are at that rather stalemate period."Wales the responsibility of the Welsh Government in Cardiff, a spokesperson said Mr Johnson could not have a say on it.
    It's almost like they knew it was a devolved issue before they fired off their free shot

I find it hard to understand why everyone can't see that the Assembly is holding this country back - and drastically. Wales has always lagged behind England in terms of infrastructure and investment, and this is getting worse, rather than better. You can see the difference almost as soon as you cross the bridge into England - it definitely looks wealthier and more prosperous.
    The only conclusion I can come to, is that the Labour led Assembly wants nothing to do with the UK Parliament, and they will deliberately avoid any co-operation with Whitehall, even when it means they are effectively hurting themselves, and hurting Wales. A classic case of 'cutting off your nose to spite your face'. The M4 corridor is a classic example. The same ailment seems to afflict Scotland.
    Now, whereas I agree that Wales (and Scotland) should have some manner of self-government, this current stance is starting to affect us all, here in Wales. It might change if we had a change of government (either here or in London), but that seems unlikely at the moment. I'm not a raving Tory, but I can't help but feel that if the 'red wall' had fallen in Wales, we might get something done at last.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    Thanks. Living in England I am completely out of date with Welsh current affairs. I do read Wales Online for football but hadn't realised this project had been cancelled. I heard the Prime Minister at PMQs on Wednesday and wondered what he was on about. All I can say is the decision to cancel is the most ludicrous decision because the economic prosperity of South Wales and not just Cardiff depends on good communication links and this particular section of the M4 is a shocker. The decision is even more ludicrous if the UK government has offered to provide the relevant borrowing consents.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I find it hard to understand why everyone can't see that the Assembly is holding this country back - and drastically. Wales has always lagged behind England in terms of infrastructure and investment, and this is getting worse, rather than better. You can see the difference almost as soon as you cross the bridge into England - it definitely looks wealthier and more prosperous.
    The only conclusion I can come to, is that the Labour led Assembly wants nothing to do with the UK Parliament, and they will deliberately avoid any co-operation with Whitehall, even when it means they are effectively hurting themselves, and hurting Wales. A classic case of 'cutting off your nose to spite your face'. The M4 corridor is a classic example. The same ailment seems to afflict Scotland.
    Now, whereas I agree that Wales (and Scotland) should have some manner of self-government, this current stance is starting to affect us all, here in Wales. It might change if we had a change of government (either here or in London), but that seems unlikely at the moment. I'm not a raving Tory, but I can't help but feel that if the 'red wall' had fallen in Wales, we might get something done at last.
    It's doesn't end just at the Welsh Assembly unfortunately. IC Wales - the website of our national newspaper - has a long article today slagging off Sunak and Johnson for announcing measures that "don't include Wales" :

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...itics-18568227

agree vindec and yet the government gives the green light to a project that costs around 108 billion quid and years behind schedule to make people get to Birmingham to London 20 minutes quicker !

Not for another 1500+ who have lost their jobs here today. Then again Wales has today been the 1st nation to introduce bike passing distance signs.
    I was being less than serious, old fruit. It's too early to know if the more relaxed approach to opening up in England will end up in tears.