+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Another "Lesser" club done by VAR

Another "Lesser" club done by VAR

That Man U pelanty would never have been given had it been roles reversed.

The ref gives it knowing that if he has got it wrong it gets overturned by the faceless VAR official hundreds of miles away.
    They see it as no reason to disagree with the refs interpretation.

If the referee had sole responsibility, I don't believe he would have awarded it. It looked dodgy at first glance but worse when slowed down!
    A camera on the sideline, he has a quick look and is embarassed.

How all the pundits who have played at the highest level, and ex-Man U players to boot, say it is never a penalty and yet it is allowed to stand

Don't like Villa and I think they are doomed but the fact is that we've seen yet again a top team get a crucial decision at the expense of the lower team.

Said it before, say it again.... modern day football sucks!

Re: Another "Lesser" club done by VAR

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    That Man U pelanty would never have been given had it been roles reversed.
    I don't think that's true. The VAR generally backs the referee whenever possible. Pretty much every Premier League club, regardless of its status, has been the victim of some ridiculous VAR decisions this season. The system sucks big time, but I don't think it discriminates. It's just rubbish across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I don't think that's true. The VAR generally backs the referee whenever possible. Pretty much every Premier League club, regardless of its status, has been the victim of some ridiculous VAR decisions this season. The system sucks big time, but I don't think it discriminates. It's just rubbish across the board.
    Does anyone think that VAR has been a good thing? I think it could be useful but needs much better implementation. Does the Premier League review VAR's performance?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Does anyone think that VAR has been a good thing? I think it could be useful but needs much better implementation. Does the Premier League review VAR's performance?
    There was a poll in the paper and it was something like 20% thought it was good. You'll never implement it better as the refs are the ones making the decisions, and don't get me started on offside. Plus the new handball rule, and it's going to get a whole lot worse now FIFA are in charge.

the VAR system is a positive thing in the modern game it's the laws that need changing

I think it is true.
    And so what if the VAR generally backs the referee?
    I'm saying it was the 80 million pound player who "bought" the penalty.
    If it's at the other end where a Villa 'nobody' goes over, it ain't given.
    Patrice Evra said that it could have even been given as a free kick to the Villa defender, which is the way I saw it.

VAR has to go IMO and the "monitor at the side" system made available for the referee to review if he feels he may have got it wrong. That way he is solely responsible for the decision, as it always has been, which people can accept.

And so what if the VAR generally backs the referee?
    I believe the VAR will generally try to back the on-field referee regardless of who he gives a decision against.

If you don't believe that, then fair enough. Nothing I say is going to change your mind as you apparently believe modern football sucks. I believe the whole VAR system sucks and I don't believe it favours the big clubs at all - it's just rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    the VAR system is a positive thing in the modern game it's the laws that need changing

Interesting viewpoint - what should be changed to accommodate VAR?

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Interesting viewpoint - what should be changed to accommodate VAR?
    The handball rule, definitely. And the offside rule.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53357841

Spurs apparently should have had a penalty against Bournemouth yesterday but the VAR chose not to give it. The latter would definitely be viewed as a 'lesser' club by comparison to the former.

I know what you’re getting at (handballs/offsides), but yesterday’s 3 decisions were disgraceful.

1) definite foul by the Manure player. That one was so obvious, Stevie Wonder called it

2) Everyone, bar the ref and VAR, seen that little cheating Southampton elf dive.

3) Unfortunately, Spurs could have had a pelanty. ( this is where interpretation of the laws comes in. I read it as, the Spurs player nudged the Bournemouth player, into Kane. I think that one would have been a harsh pelanty.)

The man u penalty was a joke - he fouled the villa player.
    Villa didn't deserve anything from the game though, man u have suddenly become one of the best teams to watch again after being absolutely dire under the last manager.

I believe the VAR will generally try to back the on-field referee regardless of who he gives a decision against.

If you don't believe that, then fair enough. Nothing I say is going to change your mind as you apparently believe modern football sucks. I believe the whole VAR system sucks and I don't believe it favours the big clubs at all - it's just rubbish.
    I'm not sure that I am disagreeing with you at all, tho in hindsight I probably should have put the heading to the post as "done by referee and VAR" meaning "the system" to clarify my point.
    As I said, if the incident had happened at the other end, the ref doesn't give it and as such VAR don't need to get involved, again! Ref vindicated. Again!

What then ensues is a load of rhetoric on well the ref probably has got it right coz VAR haven't done anything to the contrary blah blah blah...

The referees are bloody well paid and therefore should take full responsibility for their actions and giving them a second opportunity to have another look has to be the best way IMO.

I know TLG you have been known to shoot down in flames the first sign of something resembling a conspiracy theory but....
    drawing from my vast experience of watching and playing () football over many years, the better teams generally get the decisions.
    The better players have more influence.
    There doesn't have to be blatant cheating by an official or some huge conspiracy going on. The decision can be sub-concious, but the little people generally get the shit end of the stick.

A bit like life in general really eh?

I'm not sure that I am disagreeing with you at all, tho in hindsight I probably should have put the heading to the post as "done by referee and VAR" meaning "the system" to clarify my point.
    As I said, if the incident had happened at the other end, the ref doesn't give it and as such VAR don't need to get involved, again! Ref vindicated. Again!

What then ensues is a load of rhetoric on well the ref probably has got it right coz VAR haven't done anything to the contrary blah blah blah...

The referees are bloody well paid and therefore should take full responsibility for their actions and giving them a second opportunity to have another look has to be the best way IMO.

I know TLG you have been known to shoot down in flames the first sign of something resembling a conspiracy theory but....
    drawing from my vast experience of watching and playing () football over many years, the better teams generally get the decisions.
    The better players have more influence.
    There doesn't have to be blatant cheating by an official or some huge conspiracy going on. The decision can be sub-concious, but the little people generally get the shit end of the stick.

A bit like life in general really eh?
    I think there is probably an unconscious bias towards star clubs and star players. All referees are also football fans and they take into each game their knowledge of players and their talents and as much as they try to be even-handed there could easily be a slight bias one way or another.
    Football fans always take it too far though, I've seen ludicrous conspiracy theories on here as have everyone else

I was watching the game live and believe this was an incident where the VAR system could and should have worked perfectly. When it happened I immediately thought it was a penalty and I could fully understand why the ref gave it. However, the replay quickly showed that it should have been a free kick to Villa. Therefore, the VAR should have overturned the original decision. It was relatively straightforward as far as I was concerned.

Villa boss Dean Smith said: "I can understand Jon [Moss, referee] getting it wrong, but I don't know what VAR are looking at."

That's the way I saw it. In real time, it looked a penalty. The replay showed it wasn't. I think the ref's mistake was an honest one. The VAR's failure to overturn the incorrect decision was the problem.

The handball rule, definitely. And the offside rule.
    How do you change the offside rule as they’ll always be a point when you’re on or off, and you’ll have to get the stupid ruler out

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    How do you change the offside rule as they’ll always be a point when you’re on or off, and you’ll have to get the STUPID RULER out

Does Drakeford, even go to games ???

Really dislike var.

If the decisions were instant, similar to goal line tech then fine, but having to refer marginal offsides and penalties to someone else just ruins the flow of the game for me.

Particularly for offsides when they get down to mm, I don't think it's necessary.

Most annoying aspect is it kills the initial joy of just celebrating a goal, one of the most basic things as a fan that you should be able to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Really dislike var.

If the decisions were instant, similar to goal line tech then fine, but having to refer marginal offsides and penalties to someone else just ruins the flow of the game for me.

Particularly for offsides when they get down to mm, I don't think it's necessary.

Most annoying aspect is it kills the initial joy of just celebrating a goal, one of the most basic things as a fan that you should be able to enjoy.
    Your last paragraph says it all, most football fans are quite knowledgeable on the laws and very often mute their celebration if they can see a probable infringement before the ball hits the back of the net but the celebration of a ‘certain’ goal is the main joy of football.

This.

Never wanted it and still dont.

VAR has to go IMO and the "monitor at the side" system made available for the referee to review if he feels he may have got it wrong. That way he is solely responsible for the decision, as it always has been, which people can accept.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to say every referee in a MU game would face 11 players remonstrating and insisting he go to the monitor on EVERY decision.