Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
I'm not sure that I am disagreeing with you at all, tho in hindsight I probably should have put the heading to the post as "done by referee and VAR" meaning "the system" to clarify my point.
As I said, if the incident had happened at the other end, the ref doesn't give it and as such VAR don't need to get involved, again! Ref vindicated. Again!
I was watching the game live and believe this was an incident where the VAR system could and should have worked perfectly. When it happened I immediately thought it was a penalty and I could fully understand why the ref gave it. However, the replay quickly showed that it should have been a free kick to Villa. Therefore, the VAR should have overturned the original decision. It was relatively straightforward as far as I was concerned.

Villa boss Dean Smith said: "I can understand Jon [Moss, referee] getting it wrong, but I don't know what VAR are looking at."

That's the way I saw it. In real time, it looked a penalty. The replay showed it wasn't. I think the ref's mistake was an honest one. The VAR's failure to overturn the incorrect decision was the problem.