+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff City beginning to “hit the wall” with a top six finish beckoning?

Cardiff City beginning to “hit the wall” with a top six finish beckoning?

Re: Cardiff City beginning to “hit the wall” with a top six finish beckoning?

It’s Cardiff City. It’s never done the easy way! 🤪

Echoes of 1970-71.

My summary of Cardiff's performance is plenty of huff and puff but little quality.

What I found most disappointing was Murphy who, in the short time he was on, once again failed to take his chance. I've been questioning Sanderson for some time but yesterday he was found out. He is frequently caught out of position, frequently gives the ball away and is not yet ready for Championship football. On the plus side Smithies had no chance with either goal and made a spectacular save, Vaulks was again very busy and I thought Bacuna did OK at right back after Sanderson went off.

All in all Fulham deserved to win especially as they should have had a second penalty when Nelson so obviously handled the ball.

It’s clear the way we play that the first thing we should be doing in the summer is selling Pack and buying another Bacuna type player.

We’re hitting a wall because we’re not rotating the squad enough

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    It’s clear the way we play that the first thing we should be doing in the summer is selling Pack and buying another Bacuna type player.

We’re hitting a wall because we’re not rotating the squad enough
    Agreed. We started 8 outfield players last night who have played a lot of football in the last few weeks and most of them were noticeably tired in the last 20 minutes of each half.

I can't see many teams paying a transfer fee for Pack though.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Agreed. We started 8 outfield players last night who have played a lot of football in the last few weeks and most of them were noticeably tired in the last 20 minutes of each half.

His passing is very good and in the right team he’d do ok. Just not in ours.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    His backwards and sideways passing is very good and in the right team he’d do ok. Just not in ours.
    Fixed.

If Tomlinson is unable to play 90 minutes of football, we desperately need to sign a playmaker.
    We seem to have an abundance of midfield “athletes” who can run around, press and defend, but there is a clear lack of quality moving forward.
    Difficult to keep blaming Glatzel when we do not play to his strength.

Perhaps the unusual version of new season bounce has come to an end. This feels like that year under Slade where we "challenged" but in reality were a long way off, finishing 8th. This time we might sneak 6th but only cos most of the championship is so ordinary. I'm not sure if our lack of talent is down to our poor organisation as a club or if there's a natural hierarchy which seems to drop off after 4th place (or both). Maybe this shows that the play-offs, as exciting as they can be, reward mediocrity. If we wangle a promotion from here you'd obviously take it but it wouldn't say much for the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Perhaps the unusual version of new season bounce has come to an end. This feels like that year under Slade where we "challenged" but in reality were a long way off, finishing 8th. This time we might sneak 6th but only cos most of the championship is so ordinary. I'm not sure if our lack of talent is down to our poor organisation as a club or if there's a natural hierarchy which seems to drop off after 4th place (or both). Maybe this shows that the play-offs, as exciting as they can be, reward mediocrity. If we wangle a promotion from here you'd obviously take it but it wouldn't say much for the system.
    I'm sad to see Norwich go down, but the fact that they are going to be relegated with at least four points less than us is a little satisfying given what Chris Sutton said about us. We were always too good to get less points than Derby did all of those years ago, but I'm not sure this squad would if they went up - obviously, we'd sign some players who would improve things a bit, but I wouldn't have thought we'd spend too much in the current financial climate.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'm sad to see Norwich go down, but the fact that they are going to be relegated with at least four points less than us is a little satisfying given what Chris Sutton said about us. We were always too good to get less points than Derby did all of those years ago, but I'm not sure this squad would if they went up - obviously, we'd sign some players who would improve things a bit, but I wouldn't have thought we'd spend too much in the current financial climate.
    It will be interesting to see what Norwich do since they seem to have gone with the West Brom policy of not over-spending with the hope of challenging again the year after. I imagine they'll do better at that than us, although they've taken a kicking this last month so that might have an effect. Mind you, I'm not even sure it is a policy but something we've persuaded ourselves is what's happening when we don't spend what Wolves spent.

Watching the Norwich game on MOTD it sounded like they added simulated crowd booing at the final whistle.

They could still make it ,with a good result against Derby the wall may well look less daunting to get through , however I dont think we can win the play offs .

There most be a worry for those going up this year with so much financial uncertainly , will those promoted afford new squads , will income in ? perhaps we are better hunkering down in the Championship with our parachute monies and try and build from there carefully next season .

There most be a worry for those going up this year with so much financial uncertainly , will those promoted afford new squads , will income in ? perhaps we are better hunkering down in the Championship with our parachute monies and try and build from there carefully next season .[/QUOTE]

What's Neil's record like in buying players? I see Millwall are currently in 9th position, so maybe he knows a bargain or two? I take it he didn't have at his disposal the amount of money to spend at Millwall like he may have here, come the end of the season?

Fixed.
    Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Agreed with all of this. 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    There most be a worry for those going up this year with so much financial uncertainly , will those promoted afford new squads , will income in ? perhaps we are better hunkering down in the Championship with our parachute monies and try and build from there carefully next season .
    What's Neil's record like in buying players? I see Millwall are currently in 9th position, so maybe he knows a bargain or two? I take it he didn't have at his disposal the amount of money to spend at Millwall like he may have here, come the end of the season?[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly .