+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: RIP Jack Charlton

RIP Jack Charlton

Re: RIP Jack Charlton

Sad news, a real football character RIP Big Jack Charlton

He was a World Cup winner, but an argument could be made to say he was a better manager than he was a player. Didn't like the club he played or the way the teams he managed played, but I always liked him for his straightforward nature.

RIP.

a great player and manager in the days when the PROFESSIONAL game was played on an even keel unlike today

a straight talker too would put most so called modern day pundits to shame .RIP

Detest Leeds, not English but I'll make an exception for Big Jack, great character, straight talking, a man to admire. RIP Jack

He was a better player than he was given credit for as he was often compared with Bobby and in the shadow of some of the Leeds great players. He used to do a coaching programme on C4 I think, for kids on a Sunday morning and as he was talking, one of the kids kicked the ball towards him, when he wasn’t looking and caught him right in the b......s. I think they had to bleep his response out. RIP Jack.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    He was a World Cup winner, but an argument could be made to say he was a better manager than he was a player. Didn't like the club he played or the way the teams he managed played, but I always liked him for his straightforward nature.

RIP.
    Whilst I would generally agree with that summary of his teams style I do remember his Middlesbrough promotion wining team coming down to Ninian and dismantled City in some style.
    Either way he served the game well and not many can claim to be a World Cup hero for two countries so thanks big Jack for giving me probably the greatest ever footballing event in my lifetime. RIP.

He was a legend at Leeds, and as manager with Ireland. A hugh character in more ways than one.

Never really cared for him, but he and his brother supported the miners. That's enough for me. Respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Whilst I would generally agree with that summary of his teams style I do remember his Middlesbrough promotion wining team coming down to Ninian and dismantled City in some style.
    Either way he served the game well and not many can claim to be a World Cup hero for two countries so thanks big Jack for giving me probably the greatest ever footballing event in my lifetime. RIP.
    A fine man. Beg to differ on that game, we beat them 3-2.

Has he taken his little black book with him?

R I P

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Has he taken his little black book with him?

R I P
    Who were the two names in it? I can remember one of them, but the other one eludes me at the moment.

Him and Bobby until recently weren't the best of pals

Back in the late 90s Ireland played The Netherlands. Channel 5 had the rights for it and brought in Jack Charlton to commentate alongside Jonathan Pearce. It was hilarious! Charlton was shouting instructions to the team as if he was on the touchline. It annoyed Pearce who, at one point, said he should have had the night off and left Jack to it!

That game in question was actually against Yugoslavia. A cracking write up of it is available here. https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/sport-on-tv-jack-the-lad-plays-the-green-eyed-monster-1116654.html

Who were the two names in it? I can remember one of them, but the other one eludes me at the moment.
    Dont know but thought there were more than 2

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Dont know but thought there were more than 2
    According to Wikipedia there was no book, but there was a list which suggests there were more than two names, but I read something, somewhere that there were only two and that Jack Charlton had given the writer their names - one was Johnny Morrisey of Everton, but I still cannot remember the other one.

According to Wikipedia there was no book, but there was a list which suggests there were more than two names, but I read something, somewhere that there were only two and that Jack Charlton had given the writer their names - one was Johnny Morrisey of Everton, but I still cannot remember the other one.
    He dis say he had a little black book, but seemed more tongue in cheek remark.

I wrote to Jack during the 1966 World Cup, asking if he'd be kind enough to get the players' autographs for me, when the English squad was staying at the Hendon Hall Hotel in north London. I included a self-addressed envelope with a stamp on it.

Within a couple of days the envelope was put through my letter-box by the post-man.

On the hotel's blue headed note-paper were the autographs of all the squad plus Harold Shepherdson (coach) and Alf Ramsey (manager). I was thrilled. I still have them.

RIP Jack. May his memory be a blessing.

StT.
    <><

That is amazing i wonder how many of todays stars would do the same.