+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paterson

Paterson

If he doesn’t start as a striker, does he start at all?

Re: Paterson

He shouldn't even be in the squad. As long as he is, we know something is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    His best position is furthest forward midfielder of a 3. That's where Tomlin plays and he isnt better than him. At the moment neither are playing as we are a bit conservative rather playing 3 workers there. Ralls is furthest of the 3 but his runs into the box aren't as good as Paterson or his ability to win aerial balls. Also his passing and vision or ball carrying isn't as good as Tomlin.

I think NML was good yesterday but I think Paterson plays the position well, he obviously doesn't have the pace but is a smart footballer.

Upfront he does a job just as Glatzel and Ward. If we could merge the 3 into 1 player would be alright.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    He shouldn't even be in the squad. As long as he is, we know something is wrong.
    Is he the bully who always has to get a game?

This. 👆🏻

He was signed as a full back who could get forward and score goals. He has play three times as a full back as Warnock didn't rate him there, after signing him. Maybe he should be given a try there? Although he was our top scorer two season ago, playing just one half the season. And he wasn't far off top scorer last year either. No one can fault his effort and determination, but if that's the best we can do up front someone has got something wrong.

He has poor positional sense and discipline thats why he struggled at fullback and the rare time he played ib CM in the cup. Upfront and as Number 10 he basically just puts himself about and chases the ball which is his strengh. Cant fault his work rate but not a starter for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    He has poor positional sense and discipline thats why he struggled at fullback and the rare time he played ib CM in the cup. Upfront and as Number 10 he basically just puts himself about and chases the ball which is his strengh. Cant fault his work rate but not a starter for me.
    Exactly. Seems like a good bloke, probably good in the dressing room etc and always gives 100%. But should not be starting for a Championship with any ambition.

Probably not with Harris ,with NW could go wide or midfield ,feel sorry for the lad as his efforts cannot be doubted , to be fair his goal tally for the club as a fill in striker is good in our promotion year he was such a good outlet , he scored against the scousers at Anfield ,so a hero for me , think hes a great squad player

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    Is he the bully who always has to get a game?
    yep ,always need one loop

Right back

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Right back
    Agree. With our current RB about to leave the club in the next few weeks, we either coach him to play there (didn’t seem a problem with the Scottish National squad) or we spend money on a position we can I’ll afford to.
    We need a striker and probably a play maker.
    Save the money from a RB signing.

Always thought he was far better as a 10. He's not going to ping the ball around, or dribble past people but his positioning in that position is good and when on form in the promotion season arrived in the box far better than most.

Isn't a number 9, he does his best, its not his fault we arent at all blessed upfront. Glatzel should be starting but with games coming every few days we need Paterson.

Didn't he have a bit of pace when he first arrived, as in a strong runner when on the ball, a bit like Zohore was-or am i imagining things again? If i'm right, then he's lost about 3 yards in the space of 18 months.

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Agree. With our current RB about to leave the club in the next few weeks, we either coach him to play there (didn’t seem a problem with the Scottish National squad) or we spend money on a position we can I’ll afford to.
    Agree totally and based on Sanderson's recent displays Paterson may be an improvement

Agree too. I really like Sanderson but he's been prone to the odd blunder. I'm not convinced with Bacuna playing there so why not try Patterson . He's strong, determined, will run all day long and has plenty of experience playing there - all pretty useful tools for a full back.

Didn't Scotland mostly play with 5 at the back. I can see him as a wingback, but fullback I'm not so sure.

Paterson is not a right back, the last time he played there was for Scotland against Albania and by all accounts he had a shocker.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...right-13612334

I don't see a place for him in the starting 11 unless we have an injury crisis up front. He can't hold the ball up, he can't pass, he can't dribble, he doesn't make intelligent runs off the ball. The novelty of him as a striker wore off last season, it's painful watching the ball being kicked up to him over and over again because he can't do anything with it

He is more than decent championship player who would get into a lot of sides .

I despair more about players like Murphy who alledgly has the skills ,however 10 of him could get you relegated where as 10 Patersons would not.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

I despair more about players like Murphy who alledgly has the skills ,however 10 of him could get you relegated where as 10 Patersons would not.
    Murphy's body language yesterday was so bad. He looks like he needs a giant kick up the butt as he waltzed around and did f*** all.

I watched a bit of Brentford today and they were pretty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Always thought he was far better as a 10. He's not going to ping the ball around, or dribble past people but his positioning in that position is good and when on form in the promotion season arrived in the box far better than most.

Isn't a number 9, he does his best, its not his fault we arent at all blessed upfront. Glatzel should be starting but with games coming every few days we need Paterson.
    Don't know about numbers etc., but didn't Paterson play mostly midfield for us when we went up ?

I love that analogy you used.. so true.

Probably not with Harris ,with NW could go wide or midfield ,feel sorry for the lad as his efforts cannot be doubted , to be fair his goal tally for the club as a fill in striker is good in our promotion year he was such a good outlet , he scored against the scousers at Anfield ,so a hero for me , think hes a great squad player
    Attacking midfielder promotion year.

Exactly. Seems like a good bloke, probably good in the dressing room etc and always gives 100%. But should not be starting for a Championship with any ambition.
    What a load of rubbish. He was player of the season in the Championship two years ago and got 10 goals to boot, playing from central or wide midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    What a load of rubbish. He was player of the season in the Championship two years ago and got 10 goals to boot, playing from central or wide midfield.
    would be a hero again if he grabbed 3 or 4 in the next 3