+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U2 or Queen

U2 or Queen

We have just watched the " live aid 35th anniversary show " on TV

got me thinking ( and arguing with the mrs ) who were the biggest act ( not at the time, overall over time ) behind Queen, it must have been U2, then i raised the question, who over all of time have been the biggest, Queen or U2, i thought it must be U2, they must have toured more ( sure they are now a big arena band not a stadium band ), U2 broke the US while queen didnt really manage it

So Queen or U2, which have been the biggest over time ? ? ?

Re: U2 or Queen

For the longest time I followed U2 everywhere, met them numerous times, but from Achtung Baby onwards they were distinctly average and even worse.... political.

Queen for me without hesitation... there won’t be an Oscar winning movie celebrating Bono’s life and the history of U2, because their story is just dull...

In particular Freddie Mercury and Brian May transcend generations... my kids (all in their 20’s) probably know 3 or 4 U2 tracks and 12+ Queen tracks.

I certainly personally prefer the early U2 albums to most of Queen’s stuff but Queen without doubt are the bigger

I was at Live Aid

The answer is Queen

Queen, one of the all time great frontmen and some absolute timeless bangers too

Queen were a bit too panto for me.

As with every single music question the only measurable is sales. Everything else which is shit or brilliant is purely opinion.

Queen sold more records according to Wikipedia so they win.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    As with every single music question the only measurable is sales. Everything else which is shit or brilliant is purely opinion.

Queen sold more records according to Wikipedia so they win.
    ...is the correct answer.

U2 peaked and drifted off whilst Queen have maintained their popularity and even had a successful rebirth with Adam Lambert at the helm.
    The show goes on.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Hated Queen. U2 a far better band, but I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to anything from either band, with the exception of The Joshua Tree.

Queen's Greatest Hits album is the biggest selling album in the UK of all time.

Queen. Saw them live at Milton Keynes and Wembley.U2 have faded away but Queen's music is still popular. Try getting through an evening on a commercial channel without hearing one.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Hated Queen. U2 a far better band, but I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to anything from either band, with the exception of The Joshua Tree.
    Me too, you took the words out of my mouth. I absolutely detest Queen but U2 are so so. I know I'm not typical mind; I'm a Southern Rock, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Brothers, Blackfoot type myself.

I saw Queen in Cardiff Castle in the rain and thoroughly enjoyed it. Also, saw U2 and enjoyed that and their early albums, but think they’ve lost it and wouldn’t see go and see them again. Queen bigger for me due to their wider appeal and the fact Bono has become a bit of a t..t.

I would say U2 are bigger. They've been amongst the highest grossing touring bands since the 80s. And were still up there as recently as 2019.

Both bands had their moments but lost their way

The 1975 hammersmith odeon queen concert was band in total control but radio ga ga ? **** off

U2 in the same way did some fantastic early stuff , seconds , I will follow , Bad , two hearts , gloria , great riffing , anthemic

Then they went pants , like queen

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Me too, you took the words out of my mouth. I absolutely detest Queen but U2 are so so. I know I'm not typical mind; I'm a Southern Rock, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Brothers, Blackfoot type myself.
    Black foot......strikes

What an album

Both appealed to the stadium chorus goods in their later years , both were very good early on in their careers however after Sheer Heat Attack I stopped listen and watching Queen as a they turned into MOR act .

But I guess Queen woudl appeal to most .

I'm sticking with Americana

Queen are the bigger band of the two, ask the average person and they could name more Queen songs than U2 songs

Queen are a huge disappointment, 4 immensely talented individuals who produced the most meaningless music imaginable and have now prostituted themselves to any money making scheme they can find

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Queen are the bigger band of the two, ask the average person and they could name more Queen songs than U2 songs

Queen are a huge disappointment, 4 immensely talented individuals who produced the most meaningless music imaginable and have now prostituted themselves to any money making scheme they can find
    I detect some bitterness there🤣...by the way, who are the 4 people who are now prostituting themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

Seems a bit unfair, as one of them is dead and another famously withdrew from all public life about 30 years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Strangely my thoughts exactly. Don't like either band. But love the Joshua Tree album. I saw early Queen when they were a proper rock band and the were good, before they started all the pomp and producing terrible dirges.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Yup, what were they about? I like music to resonate, even if it's only a little bit, i just couldn't take queen seriously, it's piss head family party music to me. I'm not going to say that they were shite because they quite obviously weren't, just very boring.

Never really a fan of U2, they caught me out a bit in my teens until i realised that their music was phoney.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    I detect some bitterness there��...by the way, who are the 4 people who are now prostituting themselves?
    I now realise I should have made it clear I mean May and Taylor for that specific point

I agree entirely with LOM about Queen - I was losing interest in them even before the arrogance and pomposity of Bohemian Rhapsody.

I'm a bit meh about U2 as well, but I've just looked at my favourite Spotify playlist which has about1,600 tracks on it and while I knew there was nothing at all from Queen on there (I should have Seven Seas of Rhye and, possibly, Killer Queen on there mind), there are eight tracks by U2, so I suppose that shows who out of the two I like most as well as anything.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Queen, one of the all time great frontmen and some absolute timeless bangers too
    Agrees with this, Queen easy winners for me.