Thread: VAR again at Villa

VAR again at Villa

Are they f ucking blind, that’s his shoulder

Re: VAR again at Villa

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Are they f ucking blind, that’s his shoulder
    Exactly, idiotic decision

I thought it was the top of his sm, therefore correctly ruled handball.

Everyone's having a go at VAR this week for "marginal" (but correct0 decisions
    " why don't they apply some common sense?"

etc

Last few seasons, everyone was complaining about lack of consistency.

"Consistency - that's all we're asking for!"

Well, VAR gives that consistency.
    If youy want common sense, then you get interpretation instead of consistency - you can't have it both ways.

The way VAR is being used isn't very good, but it is implementing the letter of the law.

If these marginal decisions are upsetting people, then it's the laws that need changing, not VAR.

Rant over.
    I feel better now.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post

etc

If youy want common sense, then you get interpretation instead of consistency - you can't have it both ways.

The way VAR is being used isn't very good, but it is implementing the letter of the law.

If these marginal decisions are upsetting people, then it's the laws that need changing, not VAR.

Rant over.
    I feel better now.
    Why was Deli Ali’s goal (back a bit) allowed then

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Why was Deli Ali’s goal (back a bit) allowed then
    can't recall that one at the mo

can't recall that one at the mo

Even Grealish thought it was a goal, plus presenters on MOTD 2

etc

Rant over.
    I feel better now.
    Next season they’re introducing the t-shirt line to more clearly differentiate between shoulder and arm. Under that rule that was a goal, not sure where they really draw the line currently.

On any planet, that was not handball.

etc

Rant over.
    I feel better now.
    Exactly, the pundits are there to be contrary but they hold a lot more power than any of us really thought. Instead of using their experience of training sessions and being in team talks to actually help people understand things about the game that might be insightful, it's easier to just go on about the ref.

How many times has analysis on MOTD started with "there's only one place to begin, Alan. Was it a handball/offside/penalty/red card?"

So now we're in this ridiculous situation, because we've been conditioned that an entire game boils down to one refereeing decision.

etc

Rant over.
    I feel better now.
    I don't blame var or those doing the job necessarily I just think var is a bit shit.

Having now seen both I'd happily take some bad decisions for and against city for a far better flow.

Unless it's an instant decision, which technology down the line could bring then personally I'd rather they do away with it.

Uniteds penalty against Villa was farcical. Bruno stood on the defenders leg.

Not sure how Romeu survived the VAR check in the first half of United-Saints.

Looked like a certain red card, but he got away scot free.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Not sure how Romeu survived the VAR check in the first half of United-Saints.

Looked like a certain red card, but he got away scot free.
    Lenient, to say the least.
    We thought it was at least a yellow, but VAR can't say that - it's either red or nothing.

Lenient, to say the least.
    We thought it was at least a yellow, but VAR can't say that - it's either red or nothing.
    They could've told the ref to check the pitch side monitor, that happened in the Arsenal v Leicester game last week. Surely the ref could issue a yellow then if he somehow thought it wasn't a red?

You talked earlier about VAR making correct decisions ('implementing the letter of the law') and that's giving consistency but the last week has been completely the opposite. The Arsenal lad was red carded but Romeu got nothing. Three ridiculous refereeing decisions were allowed to stand on Thursday but then a very marginal one was overturned at the Villa game on Sunday. It couldn't be more random.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    They could've told the ref to check the pitch side monitor, that happened in the Arsenal v Leicester game last week. Surely the ref could issue a yellow then if he somehow thought it wasn't a red?

You talked earlier about VAR making correct decisions ('implementing the letter of the law') and that's giving consistency but the last week has been completely the opposite. The Arsenal lad was red carded but Romeu got nothing. Three ridiculous refereeing decisions were allowed to stand on Thursday but then a very marginal one was overturned at the Villa game on Sunday. It couldn't be more random.

Conspiracy theory for you:—-

With the title won and no interest in that end of the table, maybe SKY has told the refs to keep the interest going at the bottom.

If Palace’s goal would have counted and the result stayed the same, Villa would have been virtually down

or your glasses

Isn't it supposed to be "clear and obvious" before the VAR people overturn a ruling on the pitch? How the hell was that clear and obvious? It was given as a goal, it looked to me like it came off his shoulder. There's NO WAY that anyone could see that it was clear and obvious that it was otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Isn't it supposed to be "clear and obvious" before the VAR people overturn a ruling on the pitch? How the hell was that clear and obvious? It was given as a goal, it looked to me like it came off his shoulder. There's NO WAY that anyone could see that it was clear and obvious that it was otherwise.
    Exactly. I'm fine with marginal decisions being left with the ref's original call, that's how it should be, but the three mistakes last Thursday were nowhere near marginal and neither was the Romeu one last night but none of them were overturned or even handed back to the ref to have a second look. Yet, as you say, Sunday's one did get overturned, even though it was so marginal it was impossible to call. Now Bobh is telling us how VAR is making consistently correct decisions so we shouldn't complain. It's bizarre.