+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Safe Standing and Cardiff City

Safe Standing and Cardiff City

The following message has just been sent out to all Trust members;-

Safe Standing and Cardiff City

John Darch of the Safe Standing Campaign Group looks at the possibility of safe standing at the Cardiff City Stadium.

Cardiff City are pioneers of safe standing. The club was the first in the UK to draw up a crowd management plan to enable fans to stand safely in an all-seater ground. That was in 2012 and for the last eight years, as you know, the Canton Stand has been operated as a de-facto standing area. Now a new chapter is about to begin.

Back in 2012, changing how such areas are managed was all that clubs could do to make standing fans safer. Since November 2018, they have also been able to enhance safety in areas of persistent standing by fitting rail seats or independent barriers behind existing seats.

The first clubs subject to the all-seater policy to do this were Spurs and Wolves. Recently Manchester United announced their intention to follow suit. Despite being able to make these structural changes, clubs are still not allowed to officially operate the areas concerned as standing.

Thatis set to change. The Westminster government is now committed to working “with fans and clubs to introduce safe standing” and this month will receive an important report from the Sports Ground Safety Authority.

In January the authority stated that rail seats have a “positive impact on spectator safety” and assuming that their final report confirms this, many observers believe that this will give ministers in London the evidence they need to change the legislation. As No. 10 may well feel that announcing safe standing would go down well with voters, it could then happen very quickly.

Once areas such as the Canton Stand can be operated as official standing, new rules are likely to apply, i.e. the rules for standing areas, not for seated areas where fans happen to stand. This could mean a requirement for rail seats (or independent barriers), a requirement that seats in any standing area are “non-climbable” (as all structures on a terrace must be) and potentially that the seats must be locked upright to prevent fans standing on them and getting hurt if they fall off.

So the end of the standing ban is in sight. For all fans of clubs with all-seater grounds that has to be good news.

For pioneering Cardiff City it may also mean a bit of a rethink in the Canton Stand, as it changes from an area of seating where fans stand to an area of standing governed by the safety regulations that will then apply.

Re: Safe Standing and Cardiff City

It’s not so much the standing we miss but the ability to mingle. I miss the ability to gather in clumps around the ground. If we have to stand in numbered rows in allocated places then it’s little different to seating.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontprennau Bluebird View Post
    It’s not so much the standing we miss but the ability to mingle. I miss the ability to gather in clumps around the ground. If we have to stand in numbered rows in allocated places then it’s little different to seating.
    That's a very good point. Not one I'd thought of when taking part in the club's outsourced questionnaire and telephone interview. Of safe standing goes in the Canton and seats have to be locked to prevent (reduce?) climbing then at half time fans would have to remain standing based on the principle that the sest is for use at half time, if you wish. I can see more people would want to get out of, and then back in to, the Canton at half time causing more congestion and decreasing safety. How long before the pushing and shoving starts in order to get into the concourse? Personally, I would like to experience safe standing before making a 100% commitment to the idea. Other aspects of stadium safety need to be considered, eg emergency evacuation, before going ahead. At the moment, it would be possible to evacuate onto the pitch by moving forward over seats. Not so with railed areas which would concentrate spectators into the aisles and through stepped exits into the concourse. The freedom to move around and have a chat, with our current system, seems to work well. Not so easy to swap around with rails in the way.

I used to stand in the old Grange End.

But i'm 66 this year, and walk with a crutch.
    So please, no standing in front of me!
    (Mid Ninian, so shouldn't be a problem - but there sometimes is one)

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post

same age as me and I was there too with a blue and white scarf

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post

yes around by us there is standing quite a lot ,all very polite

I can't stand sitting down...

If there's going to be safe standing it should be in the Grange End. Extend it up to the roof while still maintaining a single tier. Flippin' 'eck. Can you imagine?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    If there's going to be safe standing it should be in the Grange End. Extend it up to the roof while still maintaining a single tier. Flippin' 'eck. Can you imagine?
    If it happens, it will be the Canton. At a guess, 104, 105 and 106. Whether it will be all all some of those blocks is another matter.