+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: OT Laptop advice

OT Laptop advice

My wife and I have been promising my granddaughter a laptop for sometime now.

As I started getting my state pension towards the end of last month and we have been saving money the last few months as we haven't been out because we are shielding ( and we aren't going away this year so some of our holiday fund is available) we have decide to spend around 800-1000 on one.

The requirements are a 15.6 screen, Intel I7 processor (or AMD equivalent) 16 gig of Ram and 512 gig SSD drive.

We didn't necessarily plan for a gaming laptop as she will probably be getting the new XBox when it comes out.

However she does love Minecraft and one of her requests has been that she can play it on the laptop.

The current Minecraft does not need particularly good graphics but the new version can use raytracing which will need an RTX graphics card.

If there was a vast difference in price between laptops with we would probably forego the RTX however on looking at laptops you are probably looking at around 7-800 for a laptop with an I7 processor integrated graphics and 8 Gig of ram and probably over 900- 1000 for one with a bit more disk space and 16 gig of ram.

I would also like to have a 3 year guarantee so we are talking about an extra 200 for that.

I have now seen the new HP Omen 15 on offer for 1249 including a 3 year HP warranty.

This seems to meet our requirements and also includes an RTX 2060 graphics card.

Any advice on any of the computer gurus out there?

The only drawbacks seem to be HP's dubious customer support or whether HP's tend to be reliable.

Also a couple of the very few reviews of the machine whilst being generally favourable point out that there is a fair amount of flex in the lid.

Is this likely to be a problem?

Thank you

Re: OT Laptop advice

You won’t go wrong with one of these, customer service is excellent
    https://www.apple.com/uk/macbook-air/

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Macs are not gaming computers. And if she's playing Minecraft she'll need to shut it down to run other applications because having Java running in the background will cause serious lag.

if she`s using it for gaming make sure there is enough cooling provided for the dedicated graphics, steer clear of ultra thin laptops.

Quote Originally Posted by Philbccfc View Post
    if she`s using it for gaming make sure there is enough cooling provided for the dedicated graphics, steer clear of ultra thin laptops.
    Thanks

Having read lots of reviews in the last couple of months I know that cooling is an issue with many laptops as is battery life

Apparently the new HP has a good cooling system,although reviews are few and far between at the moment and are mainly for the AMD/Intel CPU/GPU ,and not the all Intel version which is the one I am looking at

Battery life is meant to be quite good

Unfortunately as it a 10th gen Intel it can't be under volted which I know can help with the cooling.

However most of her gaming will be done at home so a cooling stand would be an option if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post

Thanks Cleve, I know Apple's support is good but it is a Windows machine she wants

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Thanks Cleve, I know Apple's support is good but it is a Windows machine she wants
    No probs Elwood.

you mention she doesnt want / need a gaming pc as she will have a Xbox, minecraft isnt intensive on any aspects of a PC, it really isnt , playing minecraft on it will not push any decent PC, cooling shouldnt be a issue playing minecraft either

Get a good amount of RAM, get a SSD

imho the HP Omen 15 is a gaming laptop and massively more than you need to run minecraft, its a huge overkill and this is often what happens when PC buying, you hear about it all the time in PC world etc etc, its just oversell

looking on the HP site, something like this will be more than enough to run minecraft and medium spec games, only has a 256 g SSD though, but at 700 quid its a massive saving

https://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/P...pt=ABU&sel=NTB