+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visual aid to show the difference between a million and a billion. He walked a million in a minute.. How long do you think it took to get to a billio?

Visual aid to show the difference between a million and a billion. He walked a million in a minute.. How long do you think it took to get to a billio?

Spoiler. He didn't walk.

May want to skip to near the end.

https://youtu.be/8YUWDrLazCg

Just to put into perspective how rich some people actually are.

Re: Visual aid to show the difference between a million and a billion. He walked a million in a minute.. How long do you think it took to get to a bil

He picked a nice day for it.

Just think, Jeff Bezos is worth $188 Billion and the only thing he can think to do with it is build a rocket shaped like a cock. What a wanker.

Re: Visual aid to show the difference between a million and a billion. He walked a million in a minute.. How long do you think it took to get to a bil

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post

Just think, Jeff Bezos is worth $188 Billion and the only thing he can think to do with it is build a rocket shaped like a cock. What a wanker.
    I saw a thing on reddit where you had to scroll to a billion, then scroll to Jeff Bezos wealth. I gave up.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post

I remember someone telling me the problem with the world today can be demonstrated with a lined sheet of A4 paper.

if you hold it in portrait orientation, and the bottom of the page is £0 and the top of the page is £1 million, most people in the world are below the bottom line of the paper, most people in the UK are pretty close to the bottom of the page. these people could only dream of one day getting up to the top of one piece of paper.
    if you pictures Jeff bezos' wealth in the same way, you would have a stack of A4 papers stretching 55km into the air.
    you wouldn't be able to see the top.

billionaires shouldn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I remember someone telling me the problem with the world today can be demonstrated with a lined sheet of A4 paper.

if you hold it in portrait orientation, and the bottom of the page is £0 and the top of the page is £1 million, most people in the world are below the bottom line of the paper, most people in the UK are pretty close to the bottom of the page. these people could only dream of one day getting up to the top of one piece of paper.
    if you pictures Jeff bezos' wealth in the same way, you would have a stack of A4 papers stretching 55km into the air.

that's crazy, 55km?!!

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    that's crazy, 55km?!!
    You wouldn't be able to see the top of a pile of A4 papers stretching 55km in the Mesosphere. How mad is that!

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    that's crazy, 55km?!!
    Yes its even madder than i remembered, so I had to check my working twice just to make sure it was right

Yes its even madder than i remembered, so I had to check my working twice just to make sure it was right
    But that's almost 56km!!!

In the UK the top 3% pay 27% of all taxes. Bezoz pays around half a billion USD in personal tax per annum. Then add up all the tax his employees earn across the globe, the goods and services they buy etc,etc.

Where does the money come from to pay for public services ? Certainly not the 45% of adults in the UK who don't contribute at all.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    In the UK the top 3% pay 27% of all taxes. Bezoz pays around half a billion USD in personal tax per annum. Then add up all the tax his employees earn across the globe, the goods and services they buy etc,etc.

Where does the money come from to pay for public services ? Certainly not the 45% of adults in the UK who don't contribute at all.
    they should pay even more, they have a lot more that 27% of the wealth.

Bezos paying 500million out of a fortune of 188bn is pathetic.

the richest 1% in America have the lowest effective tax rate, even lower than the poorest.
    this is a result of decades of policies by the rich to help the rich
    https://twitter.com/nick_kapur/statu...651185665?s=19

the richest 1% in America have the lowest effective tax rate, even lower than the poorest.
    That's his personal tax liability. True Amazon don't pay enough tax but rich people - however much you don't like them - help pay for the services that those who don't pay tax, use. All these things cost money - lots and lots of it. We're going to find that out pretty soon..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    That's his personal tax liability. True Amazon don't pay enough tax but rich people - however much you don't like them - help pay for the services that those who don't pay tax, use. All these things cost money - lots and lots of it. We're going to find that out pretty soon..
    they don't help enough though, the rich should pay more tax.
    Amazon have some shocking tax practices, Jeff Bezos paying a miniscule percentage of tax doesn't make up for that by a long shot.
    your figure of 45% who "don't contribute" only applies to income tax - there are other taxes.

The UK taxes income, not wealth.

Your reference source on Twitter has been debunked by other economists.

Are you taxed on your personal wealth annually? Or taxed on what you earn?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Are you taxed on your personal wealth annually? Or taxed on what you earn?
    either way do you think Jeff Bezos pays a fair amount of tax?

Amazon has only been going 25 years, yet he's amassed a ridiculous personal fortune in that period

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Your reference source on Twitter has been debunked by other economists.
    it was taken from a ny times article

it was taken from a ny times article

Have a look at the first reply to the article on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I saw a thing on reddit where you had to scroll to a billion, then scroll to Jeff Bezos wealth. I gave up.
    https://mkorostoff.github.io/1-pixel-wealth/

This?

International

either way do you think Jeff Bezos pays a fair amount of tax?

Amazon has only been going 25 years, yet he's amassed a ridiculous personal fortune in that period
    If he earns it why shouldn't he have it? If people cannot keep what they earn they'll stop bothering and the world will go to rat shit. you can't level up you can only level down.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    If he earns it why shouldn't he have it? If people cannot keep what they earn they'll stop bothering and the world will go to rat shit. you can't level up you can only level down.
    Define "earn".

What if he's 'earned' it by taking advantage of his low paid employees?

Did Victorian estate owners who housed their workers in hovels 'earn' their riches?

Banned

Yep, I'd hate to see the world go to rat shit. Imagine what that would look like, if you can't, just pick up a newspaper and pretend not to read it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post

Did Victorian estate owners who housed their workers in hovels 'earn' their riches?
    I do the Euromillions and, when the prize gets to really crazy numbers (£115m) I have worked out I would probably give £110m away to friends, family, and other causes and still have a stupidly healthy bank account, a paid for house, a nice car every year, and time to go on holiday.

Bezos is worth 1,635 times a £115m lottery win. What can he need the money for?

If he shared the money out, everyone's lives would improve. It may even act as a great motivator (I started as a teacher, and it was a motivational tool to think of helping kids improve their education and their lives). I left to join a firm, and was earning £40,000 a year. That was fine for me. Was offered a manager's role at £55,000 and, looked at my lack of debts, looked at my great work-life balance (at the time), realised my house was big enough (so was the mortgage), and don't really fancy a new car every 12 months and said "no ta".

I can't really understand the concept of needing more money when you already have plenty. Footballers bartering over an extra £10k a week when already earning £120k a week just seems greedy.

International

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post

I don't know. You tell me?