+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Masks compulsory in shops in England from the 24th July

Re: Masks compulsory in shops in England from the 24th July

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I’ve been catching the bus home from work on a regular basis since 23rd March, when the lockdown began. I’ve never worn a mask. Seems kind of dumb that I’ve got to start wearing one on the bus on 27th July, especially as the buses are still practically empty.
    I know more about how you get yourself around Cardiff than I do my girlfriend

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I was born in 1967. I’ve managed to get away with shopping while not wearing a mask so far.
    So since the start of the Covid 19 outbreak until now masks have not been compulsory in shops?

It's clear it's going to happen in Wales.

Can anyone recommend any reusable mask?

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    .and everything associated with it,too. Not many people will want to go shopping wearing a muzzle, but the Govt. has succeeded in frightening the population out of all proportion. The missus popped into Peacocks earlier ; the staff were telling her a bloke had just been in with a mask and gloves and wanted to put hand sanitizer on his gloved hands.
    Wise chap, belt and braces stuff! One can't be too careful.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    She's always a joy to read, a uniquely mordant humour in my opinion but never fails to provoke both thought and belly laughs simultaneously.

Agreed, apart from health issues which may prevent someone wearing a mask, I cannot understand why people get so worked up about wearing one.
    Agree completely, it's a bloody piece of cloth covering your nose and face FFS!; it's not like anyone's insisting you go round shopping with a red hot poker stuffed up your arse! In any case judging by the appearance of many of these Brexity, Red- necked types sulking because they have to wear masks they should embrace wearing them and view them as cosmetic improvements.

Agreed, apart from health issues which may prevent someone wearing a mask, I cannot understand why people get so worked up about wearing one.
    it's strangely predictable which people will object to it as well, using the same nonsense arguments that you see over in the states.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    it's strangely predictable which people will object to it as well, using the same nonsense arguments that you see over in the states.
    Isn't it just.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    .and everything associated with it,too. Not many people will want to go shopping wearing a muzzle, but the Govt. has succeeded in frightening the population out of all proportion. The missus popped into Peacocks earlier ; the staff were telling her a bloke had just been in with a mask and gloves and wanted to put hand sanitizer on his gloved hands.
    I think the tens of thousands who have died of the virus probably persuaded me to wear a mask and gloves when I go shopping more than anything the Government came out with.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    So since the start of the Covid 19 outbreak until now masks have not been compulsory in shops?
    They are not compulsory. I was skeptical about their benefits, especially after seeing people dumping their used ones in trolleys at supermarkets. Since their use is supposed to prevent the wearer transmitting the virus onto others (asymptomatic), rather than protecting the wearer, it is a bit filthy to see people dumping gloves and masks after use. I have, though, changed my mind based on some limited scientific studies and, of course, public sentiment. If people feel more comfortable going out in public and spending money to revive the economy because most are wearing masks, then I'll wear a mask for that reason alone. Add in the recent scientific studies, and it is a no-brainer.

As for not wearing a mask since 1967 whilst shopping, well I think this is the first pandemic to hit the UK in all that time, so wearing a mask between 1967 and 2020 was not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    You are correct. Masks have not been compulsory in shops in England. However, they become compulsory on Friday July 24th.

They've not been compulsory in shops in Wales either and it's not certain that they ever will be.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I know more about how you get yourself around Cardiff than I do my girlfriend
    As far as I understand it, from 27th July I'll only be able to get on a bus containing a handful of people if I'm wearing as mask. However, when I reach Cardiff city centre, I'll be able to get off the bus, take off my mask and walk into any shop I want.

Sounds sensible and consistent. I think the Welsh government have got this nailed.

The Welsh Government should say they’re going to follow WHO advice and mandate the wearing of masks in shops and on public transport. This simple message makes perfect sense to most people and may have some benefit reducing virus transmission. It would also give more people a greater sense of protection and confidence to go out.

Decisions like this undermine public trust in the Welsh Government. Is it following the science or just more interested in trying to be different from England?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    And inevitably most of the people who are kicking up such a stink about wearing a mask are the ones who bang on about WW2 and the sacrifices made and the "spirit"

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    And inevitably most of the people who are kicking up such a stink about wearing a mask are the ones who bang on about WW2 and the sacrifices made and the "spirit"
    Give ‘em a gas mask in a box strung around their neck, blitz spirit, they’ll love it.

I wore a face mask today visiting a relative in a nursing home.
    My glasses steamed up,and as a asthma suffering it didn't help my breathing.

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    They don't like it up 'em Mr Mainwairing!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Here you go, states July, but not which one

https://apple.news/ABawEIU-xTxSjhAYdCbSMzA
    Nice to see the bilingual signs in English and Cardiffian

I hope you made your sacrifices very clear to your relative. The things you had to do in order to visit them. Were they grateful? I bet they weren't even grateful.

I agree they're a pain in arse. But it's a small price to pay.