+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clive Tyldesley

Re: Clive Tyldesley

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dwr View Post
    Sacked..

https://twitter.com/CliveTyldesley/s...78420742184961

When listen to him commentate on an Engerlund game I always had a guess at how many seconds it would take him to refer to 1966. Invariably it was less than 60. Good riddance.

Only beaten in the shouting department by Jonathan Pearce.

A massive misplaced sense of entitlement.

Needs to get over himself.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Yes, and he set commentary back a few years by doing this. My dad hated him, always said he had a bias towards London clubs.

Barry Davies is the best commentator for me. Appreciated that it was ok to be quiet for a moment or two.
    Probably because he presented The Big Match for London Weekend Television.
    They always had some London club on.

I liked Barry Davies too. No airs or graces about the man, just said what he saw.

Shite commentator. The jingoistic nonsense he spouted for England games was vomit inducing.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Brian Moore would rehearse a few commentaries on a Sunday morning for Sunday afternoon’s Saturday’s highlight show, The Big Match. Then the best one would be chosen, I found it a bit false when a move would start in a team’s own half and he ‘illustrated’ his football ‘knowledge’ by predicting the ball would end up in the back of the net a good 5/6 seconds before it did, he f*cking knew it would the phoney f*cker. He was found wanting if he ever did a live commentary.
    Where did you see this?

Can't find anything on a quick look on the net.

Disagree anyway. Heard him many times live didn't find him wanting at all.

I watch the old editions of the Big Match on BT most mornings now and again and one of the things I pick up is that Brian Moore was not as good as I used to think he was - he used to make a lot of mistakes.

Agree with those who say Barry Davies is/was the best football commentator.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I watch the old editions of the Big Match on BT most mornings now and again and one of the things I pick up is that Brian Moore was not as good as I used to think he was - he used to make a lot of mistakes.

Glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this with Moore. He also seemed to rely on stock phrases.

Agreed x2 about Barry Davies. He knew how to let a game breathe and had the art mastered of knowing when to keep quiet. Nowadays commentators say too much. Fletcher is about the worst on BT sport as he seems to think he's on radio all too often.

I'm sure he did make mistakes. I would guess many commentaries are full of them,live stuff always is.

They are very much of their time not designed for the multiple reruns of the modern era0

Martin Brundle for example made a mess at one point in the F1 on Sunday (mixed up who was to blame in the clash of the two Ferraris).

I still preferred Moore to Davies who struck me as a bit pretentious at times. I actually preferred his non football commentaries which were often excellent

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Where did you see this?

Read about it way before the internet, not sure where, a tv paper or football magazine perhaps.

Where did you see this?

Yeah, this sounds a bit odd.

Did he really do that? 🤷*♂️

I agree with this.

However, Huw Johns and lots of the regional commentators from the 1970s really DO stand the test of time for some reason. (not Idwal Roblin obvs. )

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Yeah, this sounds a bit odd.

Did he really do that? ��*♂️
    Sounds pretty plausible to me tbh

Read about it way before the internet, not sure where, a tv paper or football magazine perhaps.
    TV papers and football magazines didn't( and don,'t) always tell the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I agree with this.

However, Huw Johns and lots of the regional commentators from the 1970s really DO stand the test of time for some reason. (not Idwal Roblin obvs. )
    Funny thing is that Huw John's comes over to me now as the opposite of Brian Moore - someone I didn't rate in the 70s who sounds good now.

Funny thing is that Huw John's comes over to me now as the opposite of Brian Moore - someone I didn't rate in the 70s who sounds good now.
    Lol. Nostalgia in reverse.

Huw Johns has such a great voice and turn of phrase. A bit like Stuart Hall but without the questionable background.

Banned

I didn't like Huw Johns when I was a kid - always seemed old and stuffy - but as I have become old and stuffy I think he was really good. Better than Wolstenholme, but he had the famous phrase that encapsulated commentary (and blighted it in some ways as many others seek that famous line - back to "balmy night in Barcelona").

Motson, I disliked intensely, especially in that 2002 World Cup "Breakfast with Beckham".

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Sounds pretty plausible to me tbh
    Of course it’s plausible, as if someone would commentate on a live Saturday afternoon game for the whole 90 odd minutes live (why would they need to?) then that commentary would be used 24 hours later for half hour of highlights, the continuity would be all over the place. The skill of the commentator would be commentating ‘as live’ in the abbreviated game and not going down the smug, football genius road.

TV papers and football magazines didn't( and don,'t) always tell the truth

You serious???? My missus ruins Coronation Street for me telling me the plot lines before they happen

Of course it’s plausible, as if someone would commentate on a live Saturday afternoon game for the whole 90 odd minutes live (why would they need to?) then that commentary would be used 24 hours later for half hour of highlights, the continuity would be all over the place. The skill of the commentator would be commentating ‘as live’ in the abbreviated game and not going down the smug, football genius road.
    Yeah I kind of assumed they were doing something like you said

What did Match of the Day do then?

Are you saying that Brian Moore thought of himself as a smug football genius?

What did Match of the Day do then?

Are you saying that Brian Moore thought of himself as a smug football genius?
    Match of the Day had plenty of time for after match commentating, 5 hours after the final whistles. It’s these people’s jobs, they’d be experienced enough to sort their abridged commentary out for the ten o’clock transmission, easier to do that than clip, edit and sort out continuity of a complete 90 minute commentary I’d imagine. And, yes, I did think Moore came across as a smug bugger, wasn’t keen on him at all.

I'm sure he did make mistakes. I would guess many commentaries are full of them,live stuff always is.

They are very much of their time not designed for the multiple reruns of the modern era0

Martin Brundle for example made a mess at one point in the F1 on Sunday (mixed up who was to blame in the clash of the two Ferraris).

I still preferred Moore to Davies who struck me as a bit pretentious at times. I actually preferred his non football commentaries which were often excellent
    Elwood, I know I don't agree with you overmuch but you're bang on with this one. Barry Davies sounded like a schoolteacher and was never a sport's commentator. Moore was slicker, Wolstenholme was class but of a certain era, I stick by my guns, David Coleman got your heart pounding without the statty and trivial guff! On the flip side, is there worse than Idwal Robling and Jonathan Pearce? Though Ian Darke should stick at boxing and he's not very good at that, is he Harry? Second attempt: John Hardy on Radio Wales is probably the worst radio commentator and even managed to make Robling and Pearce sound good.

Match of the Day had plenty of time for after match commentating, 5 hours after the final whistles. It’s these people’s jobs, they’d be experienced enough to sort their abridged commentary out for the ten o’clock transmission, easier to do that than clip, edit and sort out continuity of a complete 90 minute commentary I’d imagine. And, yes, I did think Moore came across as a smug bugger, wasn’t keen on him at all.
    He was apparently a very modest and unassuming man well liked by players and managers alike.

Good friend of Brian Clough apparently and described as "the doyen of football commentators," by Sir Alex Ferguson.

I remember listening to Match of the Day and the Big Match all those years ago.

There is a different sound to commentary from a studio. Live at a match it mixes in with the crowd noises and sounds less artificial.

I'm sure with modern technology you can mix commentary and crowd noise to sound as if they were done at the same time.

I am doubtful if the technology of the 70's and 80's could have been so effective

I know that Match of the Day send their commentators to the grounds. They also record the crowd audio without commentary in case anything needs amending after the game. There are some commentators, like Pearce and Wilson, who apparently will not edit their commentaries after the game and want their authentic, as-it-happens-live versions broadcast.

Classic David Coleman...
    Liverpool showing their party-pieces, Newcastle were undressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Classic David Coleman...
    Liverpool showing their party-pieces, Newcastle were undressed.
    A touch of class in an otherwise tawdry thread.

Pretty much anybody involved in the presentation of football today has a personal interest in selling the game as a commercial product, rather than reporting on it as a sporting event. To my mind, Coleman does not fall into this camp. He was a sports enthusiast who could accurately convey the magnitude of an event. I doubt he would have over-sold the importance of Leicester vs West Ham.

Tyldesely is a reasonable commentator, with a tendency for hyperbole and nostalgia. He fairly accurately describes what is happening in a manner that is irritating rather than obtrusive, a la Jonathan Pierce. It is bizarre that he genuinely believes that anybody cares about a minor internal reorganisation of roles. He will presumably retire in the next few years and most football fans won't notice: he is nothing special, nothing terrible. That twitter clip belies a narcissism that I'd not really noticed before in a commentator other than the Moron In The Sheepskin Coat, or the uniquely appalling Alan Green.

Lots of really good sports presenters/commentators/journalists have lost their jobs in the last few years, so this daft tit whinging about him being second-best but still employed really rankles. Cornelius Lysaght and Mark Pougatch are two that spring to mind- far more insightful and offer far more to their sports than the mediocre, forgettable game-calling of Tyldesley.

Clive, give your retirement speech when you retire and just say thanks for sending me to games I had no real right to be at. Daft twat.