+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Last 30 mins-We controlled the game.

Last 30 mins-We controlled the game.

Derby had to come out to play and take more risks, leading to more space (They also tired in my opinion) we looked a different team, trying to work openings and showing some much needed patience. Started getting on the second balls which is a huge relief to a team like us, derby became more expansive and it played right into our hands as we struggle against teams who implement pace on the ball and sharp movement.Credit to Harris and the team.

One moan though, why is it that when we score, Harris seems to get the team to set out in a conservative formation? Two banks of 4, or 5 in midfield, and allow the opposition to come at us? It doesn't work. Warnock was king of sucking up pressure and forfeiting possession (for a time, until he was found out) Harris doesn't seem to know how to line us up after we go in front. I'd really like to see us continue with trying to pressure the opposition as opposed to getting 'organised' and re setting, if that's what Harris is doing.

Anyway, great win, much better second half, we got a bit more compact in midfield and further up the pitch, forced Derby into mistakes and got our reward. Bacuna was MOM for me. Mendez worked his bollocks off and gave Derby something to worry about. Pack looked composed and comfortable in the second half as well. I really like Smithies as well.

Re: Last 30 mins-We controlled the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Derby had to come out to play and take more risks, leading to more space (They also tired in my opinion) we looked a different team, trying to work openings and showing some much needed patience. Started getting on the second balls which is a huge relief to a team like us, derby became more expansive and it played right into our hands as we struggle against teams who implement pace on the ball and sharp movement.Credit to Harris and the team.

One moan though, why is it that when we score, Harris seems to get the team to set out in a conservative formation? Two banks of 4, or 5 in midfield, and allow the opposition to come at us? It doesn't work. Warnock was king of sucking up pressure and forfeiting possession (for a time, until he was found out) Harris doesn't seem to know how to line us up after we go in front. I'd really like to see us continue with trying to pressure the opposition as opposed to getting 'organised' and re setting, if that's what Harris is doing.

Anyway, great win, much better second half, we got a bit more compact in midfield and further up the pitch, forced Derby into mistakes and got our reward. Bacuna was MOM for me. Mendez worked his bollocks off and gave Derby something to worry about. Pack looked composed and comfortable in the second half as well. I really like Smithies as well.

We definitely had a plan for Rooney and then he was so bad we were better off letting him have it

Pack's best game in a long time, Bacuna an upgrade over Sanderson's recent form. The wingers worked so hard and looked dangerous. Very pleased how we played although it is slightly concerning we've conceded so many sloppy goals recently. How did we get caught so open for their goal, God knows. Nice to have the options to rotate slightly, it is definitely helping us as Derby were really flagging come the end. Ward has sucked me in like this before but if he plays like he did tonight every week, we'd be mad/skint not to give him a new deal if we're still in this division.

I really wish it wasn't Swansea that could catch us as I'm half tempted to want Forest to lose tomorrow. I think we could beat Brentford in a final but we probably don't have the fire power over two legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    We definitely had a plan for Rooney and then he was so bad we were better off letting him have it

Pack's best game in a long time, Bacuna an upgrade over Sanderson's recent form. The wingers worked so hard and looked dangerous. Very pleased how we played although it is slightly concerning we've conceded so many sloppy goals recently. How did we get caught so open for their goal, God knows. Nice to have the options to rotate slightly, it is definitely helping us as Derby were really flagging come the end. Ward has sucked me in like this before but if he plays like he did tonight every week, we'd be mad/skint not to give him a new deal if we're still in this division.

I really wish it wasn't Swansea that could catch us as I'm half tempted to want Forest to lose tomorrow. I think we could beat Brentford in a final but we probably don't have the fire power over two legs.
    Ward is a decent championship player, some nice runs into the channels tonight, can cross a decent ball as well.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Ward is a decent championship player, some nice runs into the channels tonight, can cross a decent ball as well.
    Ward seems a lot more aware that Glatzel. As you say, he made some great runs. He also held the ball up a bit and I think he's more of a goal threat. The commentators alluded to the fact that he's not that tall, but Glatzel doesn't use his body that well anyway.

ward was superb when he came on but i thought Glatzel did really well too.

Gotta just go the same way v Boro. Tomlin will be out to prove a bit of a point as well, and Patersons energy in the last twenty minutes is a plus if needed.

Dont think we will see Sanderson start again, far too suspect defensively.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Ward seems a lot more aware that Glatzel. As you say, he made some great runs. He also held the ball up a bit and I think he's more of a goal threat. The commentators alluded to the fact that he's not that tall, but Glatzel doesn't use his body that well anyway.
    I think Ward deserves to start against Middlesbrough with Glatzel as substitute, Tomlin again hopefully will last for 60 minutes,Flint for Morrison against his old club to give Moz a rest may be an option as he looks tired otherwise the same starting lineup?

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    I think Ward deserves to start against Middlesbrough with Glatzel as substitute, Tomlin again hopefully will last for 60 minutes,Flint for Morrison against his old club to give Moz a rest may be an option as he looks tired otherwise the same starting lineup?
    I think Ward has done most of his good work for us and more recently scored most of his goals coming from the bench when the game is a bit more stretched and he can use his movement to better effect. I can't recall too many games that Ward has started where he has turned in strong performances as his hold up play in those games hasn't been up to it.

Think he is worth having around as an impact player though as he is a good finisher and it would be a shame to see hime leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Noooo don't start with Flint, thats a disaster waiting to happen. Moz is in great form too.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I think Ward has done most of his good work for us and more recently scored most of his goals coming from the bench when the game is a bit more stretched and he can use his movement to better effect. I can't recall too many games that Ward has started where he has turned in strong performances as his hold up play in those games hasn't been up to it.

Think he is worth having around as an impact player though as he is a good finisher and it would be a shame to see hime leave.
    I tend to agree entirely and in all fairness, if there's one huge piece of credit we can give Harris, its that he has a knack of getting the best out of his substitutes. After last night's performance I'm changing my opinion: I hope Brentford go up automatically as I don't fancy them over two legs but I have a feeling we could do something on Fulham or WBA over two matches.