+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boundary help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Boundary help

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Absolutely. That's what we are claiming.

We had another rant from her this morning so we've asked her to provide legal proof the boundary is where she says it is. I've been around the other houses in the streets nearby and every single boundary is exactly as you describe.
    Have a look on this website which (may take a bit to find the right map/scale) should show historical boundaries and compare with the legal version from Land Registry. Last time I used Land Registry online it cost £3 for a copy (pdf) of property and boundaries.

https://maps.nls.uk/os/

That said, scale of the map might mean that your dispute is over the thickness of the line drawn on a map. Didnt work well for a boundary between Israel and Egypt.
    Looking at our property boundary, next door appear to have pinched about a foot to build an extension that cuts into our diagonal boundary line. As that extension was built over 30 years ago, before we moved in, nothing we can do about it now. Not that we want to.

Good luck with your neighbour.

Interesting thread. Our neighbours bult up to the boundary. We weren't overjoyed because our own house is only about 75cm from it. They didn't think about overhangs etc but say taht they decided to build the wall on the inner line of the foundation (which was all on their land) to deal with it. When I went to put the fencing back up, it was pretty clear that the back corner of their extension veered over the boundary. God knows how - my guess is that their house wasn't square to the boundary. They insisted that the boundary must have curved to accommodate their extension because it was on their land. Thick as pigshit really, but we are talking about 15cm-20cm here or there. So I let it go, and put a slight kink in the fencing. Which was fine, until I realised it meant that I could no longer get a micro digger down that side of the house.

Oh well. Not worth falling out with them over it, we are both planning to be here for decades. But the lesson I learned is - never let them take down the fence in the first place. That way there can be no doubt.

start drilling some holes in the wall of the extension to put up hanging baskets etc - that'll make them think

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    But if the building was constructed without permissions originally and it encroaches on another persons land?
    Yes. The law is clear.

Land ownership is a separate issue.

Does the land registry plan show anything? You would think that area would be quite obvious pushing out a foot.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Does the land registry plan show anything? You would think that area would be quite obvious pushing out a foot.
    That won't make any difference. No enforcement action can be taken by the local planning authority as the extension has been in place for longer than the prescribed period under the Town and Country Planning Acts. Sadly there is nothing much the OP can do. However, I'm sure the fact the extension overhangs does not have implications for the boundary which will remain unchanged. If problems with the neighbour persist the OP could try the University of South Wales which runs a free legal advice service and there could well be other free providers of advice elsewhere. Might be worth researching.

Feedback

you really need legal advice, seeking the opinion of a property lawyer. your neighbour can't just build on your land, and if they have done so, i'm pretty sure you can have the building removed at their expense.

however, this could prove costly so its best to get the legal position sorted, and then ask your neighbours if they want to buy the land from you rather than have it knocked down.