+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If, and its a big if.

If, and its a big if.

We manage to go up to the premier league for a 3rd time,
    A. How do you think Tan would approach it this time, and B. How would you like Tan to approach it this time?

Re: If, and its a big if.

A - little money to spend
    B - he brought in footballing knowledge to the board and let footballing people dictate what happens.

Buy young fresh prospects from decent academies in the Championship rather than older experienced players looking for a final pay day

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Buy young fresh prospects from decent academies in the Championship rather than older experienced players looking for a final pay day
    Oh yes please

more to the point have we got any potential prem players or players that could adapt in the current set up ?

i,m scratching my head here .....

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I'd disagree with doing exclusively one or the other. 80/20 in favour of young and hungry for me please

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I'd disagree with doing exclusively one or the other. 80/20 in favour of young and hungry for me please
    The last time we got promoted I can't remember us signing one older experienced player looking for a final pay day. Greg Cunningham was as close as it got.

You need experience in the Premier League.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    The sides that have gone up and stayed up, Sheff Utd, Wolves, Burnley, Leicester, Southampton etc, very rarely did they sign Premier League players.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    The sides that have gone up and stayed up, Sheff Utd, Wolves, Burnley, Leicester, Southampton etc, very rarely did they sign Premier League players.
    I know that, but there is room for an experienced head or two. I'm certainly not talking about plastering your side with PL experience. You build on what you've got.

I felt when we got promoted, our total lack of PL experience within the squad was one of our undoings. That bit of savvy, knowhow at this level. Sometimes it doesn't even have to be a regular player.

I know that, but there is room for an experienced head or two. I'm certainly not talking about plastering your side with PL experience. You build on what you've got.

I felt when we got promoted, our total lack of PL experience within the squad was one of our undoings. That bit of savvy, knowhow at this level. Sometimes it doesn't even have to be a regular player.
    Well we were only 3 points off of survival, if we had a striker who could finish I think we'd have stayed up. Our best players last season (Etheridge and Victor) never played PL football before and our 'experienced' striker on loan was god awful.

I think PL experience is slightly overrated, all it does it hike up prices and allow agents to squeeze a bit more cash out of desperate teams.

I think the odd few players is fine but we've got about 10 players that had a season, plus Bacuna who has had more. I'd rather see us sign young players with a good scouting team recommending them.

I’m struggling to answer my own questions.
    A. Tan got his fingers burnt 1st time round, so last season, he appeared to try to survive on a shoestring. Both ventures failed miserably.
    Not sure what his approach would be this time.
    B. As Mozzer mentioned above, we don't seem to have any players in our current squad who are anywhere near good enough for the top flight. Tomlin is our best player imo, but as talented as he is, he'd struggle to make an impact in the top flight. Would Harris deserve a crack? Should we be ruthless and empty him for a more experienced manager?
    Getting there is hard enough. Staying there is even harder. The gap in class between the top flight and the championship, has never been bigger imo.
    Even the leaders Leeds will struggle with the squad they've got

I'd hate it if we hold on to our 100% relegation record.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    We manage to go up to the premier league for a 3rd time,
    A. How do you think Tan would approach it this time, and B. How would you like Tan to approach it this time?
    On the cheap

We’ve got an ageing and limited squad, which would need a serious overhaul if we do make it. It might need a serious overhaul if we don’t make it, but that’s another conversation.

We’ve got two not bad keepers, but I think we’d need a spine of experience, because otherwise you end up being naive, but a balance is important.

You could argue that Norwich went for young and hungry and that hasn’t turned out very well for them.

In terms of Tan, it’s reported that his fortune is somewhat diminished since COVID-19, so would he have money to invest, or would it solely be the PL money? Probably the latter.

Therefore 20% of the team will be experienced in my masterplan. Your problem Eric, is that you have no time for figures and stats

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    On the cheap
    Agreed, it would be the same as the previous two occasions. I don't think his heart is in it.

Therefore 20% of the team will be experienced in my masterplan. Your problem Eric, is that you have no time for figures and stats
    Sodding stats. It's all bollocks, I tell thee!

There would be something remarkable about going down the even more frugal than last time route and somehow staying up. Would sort the club right out.

Realistically I imagine we'd try and get Camarasa back, Sanderson back on loan and a Peltier type on a free. We'd need at least two strikers, maybe get a youngster on loan. I don't see us spending much should we go up.

For me, Morrisson was our best player the last time we got promoted. Then he had an absolute 'mare in the Premier. There's not one player in our current squad that is real EPL quality. There's a few that could get by. I think we'd need to spend at least £50M on players and another £5M+ on loans. Then, if we managed to stay up, we'd have to do the same again to consolidate. Just to put this in perspective, Danny Ings, a competent EPL goal scorer, cost Southampton £18M. He scores goals, but he's not a one-man team. And if he left, what sort of club would sign him? Remember how Watford pissed all over us last season? Look where they are now.

A quick raid on Brenford players.

Ya, you won’t “win anything with kids” !!!!!

I wonder who said this ????

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    There would be something remarkable about going down the even more frugal than last time route and somehow staying up. Would sort the club right out.

Realistically I imagine we'd try and get Camarasa back, Sanderson back on loan and a Peltier type on a free. We'd need at least two strikers, maybe get a youngster on loan. I don't see us spending much should we go up.
    Sanderson would get torn apart in the Premiership, he'll be a very decent RB in a few years but needs a full season in the Championship I'd say

[QUOTE=delmbox;5097719]Sanderson would get torn apart in the Premiership, he'll be a very decent RB in a few years but needs a full season in the Championship I'd say, with someone else please