+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If, and its a big if.

Re: If, and its a big if.

In the absence of a Brentford type scouting system, make far better use of the loan market, look at players from the three relegated clubs who wouldn't break our bank and target younger players at Championship clubs. I think a squad that would give us a fighting chance of staying up could be put together on those terms and it wouldn't have to cost us a fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Buy young fresh prospects from decent academies in the Championship rather than older experienced players looking for a final pay day
    We tried that with Murphy and Bobby Reid and it didn't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Because the manager was completely out of his depth. And basically played every game "to not lose". Or in some cases "to not lose too heavily". And there were a few times that didn't even work.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Because the manager was completely out of his depth. And basically played every game "to not lose". Or in some cases "to not lose too heavily". And there were a few times that didn't even work.
    And that nearly worked if we didn't get robbed a few games such as Chelsea.

And that nearly worked if we didn't get robbed a few games such as Chelsea.
    Didn't someone post on here at some point that we didn't actually get robbed? Our goal wouldn't have stood if there was VAR. Or something like that.

Wasn’t that more down to us playing Warnockball and not playing Bobby very much at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    Well we were only 3 points off of survival, if we had a striker who could finish I think we'd have stayed up. Our best players last season (Etheridge and Victor) never played PL football before and our 'experienced' striker on loan was god awful.

I think PL experience is slightly overrated, all it does it hike up prices and allow agents to squeeze a bit more cash out of desperate teams.
    I often think that Sala would have been the difference to us surviving in the PL

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    On the cheap
    I would not blame Tan.
    First time around he did spend considerable money (including signings while we were chasing promotion from the championship). Second time around we did spend some money but as we had little/no football experience at board level, we put everything in Warnocks hands.
    I have said many times before, it is partly down to the squad but also partly down to the coach you have and how he can achieve survival.
    As tough as it may sound, City may need to move Harris aside (maybe assistant) to a more tactical coach.
    I am sure that would not happen, same as cardiff winning the play off's (should they get there)

When Murphy first came to us in the Premiership he was on fire and most full backs could not handle his speed and trickery.
    In fact most opposing full backs were on a yellow card mid way through the first half.
    Whatever happened to that player. Clearly fell out with Warnock and the crowd incessantly on his back.
    I wish we could get the "old" Murphy back playing again.

I think our goal, could have gone either way with VAR but the Chelsea goal was obviously a mile offside except for the linesman. I think Warnock’s failure to play Bruno in his best position at centre half didn’t help.

We could have easily survived last year when you think about the games against Chelsea and Burnley in particular. How we lost that Burnley was even a mystery to Burnley's own fans. We did as well as could have been expected, even better, last season but let's face it this time we are worse off than when the team last got promoted. In essence we have gone backwards.

Agree, the Burnley game was the biggest disappointment as we played very well and still lost.

I think Morrison was shown up for pace in the Prem but again he's had an impressive season this year. I wonder how much of that is due to having a new pacier CB partner - or a keeper who can accept a back pass and distribute more confidently. Would they be an effective back 3 in the Prem, possibly?

Our big problem is that our entire squad is what you'd call a good Championship side. Few few below par, but very few who'd be comfortable up a level. But I would LOVE to see how Tomlin got on fully fit in the PL.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    I think Morrison was shown up for pace in the Prem but again he's had an impressive season this year. I wonder how much of that is due to having a new pacier CB partner - or a keeper who can accept a back pass and distribute more confidently. Would they be an effective back 3 in the Prem, possibly?

Our big problem is that our entire squad is what you'd call a good Championship side. Few few below par, but very few who'd be comfortable up a level. But I would LOVE to see how Tomlin got on fully fit in the PL.
    Too many people judge Morrison on how he did vs Man City and not against Brighton, Burnley etc. We weren't awful last time we went up, especially not at the back. We kept the 8th most clean sheets with 10. Sure, we got battered at times but so does everyone.