+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Crystal Palace v Man U

Crystal Palace v Man U

Manu U 1 nil up.
    However, just prior to their goal, Wilf Zaha brought down in pelanty area by Lindeloff. Ref waved play on.
    Looked very contentious at the time and when viewed by the experts at half time, all agreed it was a definite pen.

Question:
    Why was VAR not consulted?
    Can we assume they were consulted but agreed with the ref?

If the latter is the case, why weren't the viewers informed that it was checked by VAR and decision stands (similar to previous occasions)?

Edit: 1-1 now.... or is it?
    Edit 2.... his toe off?
    Edit 3: still 0-1

Re: Crystal Palace v Man U

2-0, nice goal

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    2-0, nice goal
    Well that was a touch more concise than MacAdder hehe:

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Well that was a touch more concise than MacAdder hehe:

Just as I posted the drama of VAR happened.
    Yes, they went to VAR that time

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Manu U 1 nil up.
    However, just prior to their goal, Wilf Zaha brought down in pelanty area by Lindeloff. Ref waved play on.
    Looked very contentious at the time and when viewed by the experts at half time, all agreed it was a definite pen.

Question:
    Why was VAR not consulted?
    Can we assume they were consulted but agreed with the ref?

If the latter is the case, why weren't the viewers informed that it was checked by VAR and decision stands (similar to previous occasions)?

Edit: 1-1 now.... or is it?
    Edit 2.... his toe off?
    Edit 3: still 0-1
    I thought Zaha was trying to be clever.
    I looked at it a few times and he plants
    s his leg unnaturally in front of Lindeloff, forcing contact. It's like jumping in front of a moving car and blaming the driver.
    Wilf was looking for the pen, the cheating barsteward that he is.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    s his leg unnaturally in front of Lindeloff, forcing contact. It's like jumping in front of a moving car and blaming the driver.
    it wasn't enough to overture on field decision, the off side was so close to call, without VAR it was a goal .

Palace deserved something.

Palace have a great manager and chairman

That unnatural movement is called a step over. It's even got its own wiki page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Step_o...to%20move%20in.

Zaha did it in the second half too to set up the space to cross for Ayew's disallowed goal. Wan-Bissaka didn't stupidly clatter into him like Lindelof did though.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    That unnatural movement is called a step over. It's even got its own wiki page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Step_o...to%20move%20in.

Zaha did it in the second half too to set up the space to cross for Ayew's disallowed goal. Wan-Bissaka didn't stupidly clatter into him like Lindelof did though.
    stepovers are to confuse the player in front of you.
    No-one was ahead of Zaha.

In the unusual position of being happy to see Man Ure get the 4th champions league place instead of Chelsea if that happens, after enjoying Manu's decline over the last few years.

Would be funny too if Chelsea cock it up after they were so desperate to get rid of Sarri after he'd got them Third, won the Europa league and in a cup final.

stepovers are to confuse the player in front of you.
    No-one was ahead of Zaha.
    He feints to come inside and that draws the foul from Lindelof. As I said, he does the same thing in the second half on Wan-Bissaka. It doesn't draw a foul then but creates the space for him to get the cross in. It's a win-win trick. If you were happy with the Fernandes penalty decision last week I've no idea how you can feel it wasn't a penalty yesterday.

He feints to come inside and that draws the foul from Lindelof. As I said, he does the same thing in the second half on Wan-Bissaka. It doesn't draw a foul then but creates the space for him to get the cross in. It's a win-win trick. If you were happy with the Fernandes penalty decision last week I've no idea how you can feel it wasn't a penalty yesterday.
    The fernandes pelanty was a nonsense, he stamped on the other players leg and won a pen

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    The fernandes pelanty was a nonsense, he stamped on the other players leg and won a pen
    Of course but bobh was saying on Monday how VAR was coming up with consistently correct decisions so I assume he was happy with it.

Of course but bobh was saying on Monday how VAR was coming up with consistently correct decisions so I assume he was happy with it.
    I'm largely in favour of VAR, but that wasn't its finest hour.

Having said that I think a system like the cricket where a captain can refer a decision to the VAR if they don't agree would be better - and if they've run out of challenges then they have to suck it up and accept the onfield decision.
    2 challenges per game per side, something like that

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I'm largely in favour of VAR, but that wasn't its finest hour.

Having said that I think a system like the cricket where a captain can refer a decision to the VAR if they don't agree would be better - and if they've run out of challenges then they have to suck it up and accept the onfield decision.
    2 challenges per game per side, something like that
    Other sports do that too. It's how I thought it would work with football but they've gone their own way and messed it up.

It’s the “offside” that annoys me.
    Years ago, it was just as bad, when someone scored from 30 yards, only to have it disallowed because someone was in an offside position, out wide, ridiculous.

Now, with these silly graphics, I think to be offside it should be that you’ve got “BOTH YOUR FEET” in front of the line. That means if you’re stretching your head, knee, one foot, chest or if you’re like Mike Summerbee, or Matt Le Tissier, IT’S A GOAL

Zaha is overrated