+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leading goalscorer .. is it really an issue?

Leading goalscorer .. is it really an issue?

City have 73 goals from 17 different goalscorers this season, all of the regular outfield players except Joe Bennett have scored. It's been a great all around contribution from team & squad.

8 Glatzel, Murphy, Tomlin
    7 Paterson, Ralls, Ward
    6 Hoilett
    5 Flint
    4 Vaulks
    3 NML, Morrison
    2 Pack
    1 Bacuna, Nelson, Bogle, Vassell, Whyte

Re: Leading goalscorer .. is it really an issue?

Flint's tally stands out there. He's hardly played under Harris, has he?

I don't think it really does.

Its nice to have a guy who scores a lot as usually they are going to attract some cash.
    Think we are 4th top scorers so not a massive issue.

We haven't had a high goalscoring striker since Chopra maybe Zohore for 1 season.

If u combined ward, paterson and glatzel wouldn't be too bad either.

We focus so much on scoring, when we did so well before by not conceding.

I mentioned this earlier and I think another poster put that our defensive record recently has improved

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    Flint has played 26 games this season. I think he played every game until QPR away.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    City have 73 goals from 17 different goalscorers this season, all of the regular outfield players except Joe Bennett have scored. It's been a great all around contribution from team & squad.

8 Glatzel, Murphy, Tomlin
    7 Paterson, Ralls, Ward
    6 Hoilett
    5 Flint
    4 Vaulks
    3 NML, Morrison
    2 Pack
    1 Bacuna, Nelson, Bogle, Vassell, Whyte
    Id rather that than relying on a single few players,its shows great desire , all round ability in front of goal , great to see really great post .

Is there analysis on how the goals were scored ?

Well. I find our lack of a consistent goalscorer for getting on for a decade embarrassing - it is suggestive of the general lack of creativity and reliance on set pieces that have been features of our play for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Well. I find our lack of a consistent goalscorer for getting on for a decade embarrassing - it is suggestive of the general lack of creativity and reliance on set pieces that have been features of our play for too long.
    All goals count the same whether that's 100 passes before on 1. The team has had its most successful period in that 10 years than arguably ever.

The strikers haven't really thrived elsewhere after so it could be suggested that is the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    It does stand out, although he was bought first and foremost to defend, goals are a bonus, that's why he's been binned.

I'm i right in saying that people have been better at knocking them in under Harris? or at least those that weren't before he took charge.
    I don't need striker just a team that get forward and have the ability to score and take those chances.

Its arguably better to share the goals around than rely on one finisher

It was mentioned that Assombalonga has gotten into double figures each season at Middlesbrough, not done them much good

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Its arguably better to share the goals around than rely on one finisher

It was mentioned that Assombalonga has gotten into double figures each season at Middlesbrough, not done them much good
    sign him

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It does stand out, although he was bought first and foremost to defend, goals are a bonus, that's why he's been binned.
    I don't think Flint's been as bad as he's been made out to be, just him and Morrison together is a car crash

I think number of goals scored collectively is a better indication. If we had one person who monopolised the goal scoring you'd suffer as a team if they got injured.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    I think number of goals scored collectively is a better indication. If we had one person who monopolised the goal scoring you'd suffer as a team if they got injured.
    Bingo

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Exactly. He’s cost us a lot more than 5 goals the flat footed pelican.

2 of those in the cup against Carlisle weren’t they?

Typical supporter of a club behaviour in this thread whereby the current situation at said club is defended when the very same situation at other clubs would have the same people saying they haven't had a reliable scorer for ages. Is it seriously being argued that it has been a deliberate policy not to have a goalscorer of the Chopra/McCormack/Earnie mound in the squad for the last ten seasons or so? Every club in the country would like a/another fifteen to twenty goal a season man in their ranks if for no other reason than they have someone who could be sold for good money if required

The game has changed so teams are not so reliant on their strikers getting the vast majority of goals. . The central / lone striker is as much about bringing others into play as it is grabbing all the goals.

There’s the odd throwback like Harry Kane but the wide forwards are expected to chip in a lot more these days.

Your Manes, Salahs, Sterling’s get plenty of goals and a lot of Ronaldos goals at Madrid we’re from playing out wide to Benzema.

Typical supporter of a club behaviour in this thread whereby the current situation at said club is defended when the very same situation at other clubs would have the same people saying they haven't had a reliable scorer for ages. Is it seriously being argued that it has been a deliberate policy not to have a goalscorer of the Chopra/McCormack/Earnie mound in the squad for the last ten seasons or so? Every club in the country would like a/another fifteen to twenty goal a season man in their ranks if for no other reason than they have someone who could be sold for good money if required
    If we had a 15/20 goal a season striker, we wouldn't be 6th!

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Exactly. He’s cost us a lot more than 5 goals the flat footed pelican.

2 of those in the cup against Carlisle weren’t they?
    What's the old saying? 'I've seen milk turn quicker' he's not the best.

Your new strikers are more Firmino than choora these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    If we had a 15/20 goal a season striker, we wouldn't be 6th!
    No, we'd be in the top four.

I don't get this view that having a natural goalscorer in your ranks means that everyone else would stop scoring - that's not what happened when we regularly had someone scoring twenty in a season,

If anything, I'd say having someone who was good for a goal every two or three matches over the course of a full season would take a bit of pressure off the others in the squad and their finishing could improve as a result.

Earnie and Chopra need to play with a strike partner. Very few teams play with 2 up top now.

Earnies game outside the box was non existent. He would be a 15/20 minute sub at best in today’s game.

Its like making the argument if you played Ronaldo suarez kane Messi as a front 4 they would score 150 goals between them.

By scoring more goals you are taking the opportunity from another to score.

Of course its better to have someone who is a great finisher but if you looked at us and Fulham with them having Mitrovic you would have thought they would have scored far more than us. Especially with Reid cavaliero knockaert cairney however that isn't the case

A full season under Harris and we might have a 15+ striker in Glatzel.

It's time Bennett got his act together....