+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: NEOWISE COMET

NEOWISE COMET

Knowing that there are a few celestial observers on here, I wonder if anyone has seen the Neowise comet yet. Living in a light polluted area such as Rumney and being a non-driver, I thought my chances of seeing it were negligible.

However I walked over to Llanrumney last night to a relatively dark spot and after about 15 minutes of searching the night sky through my binoculars I happened upon a blurry object with a definite tail. Not as bright as the Hale-Bopp comet of years ago, it is still worth making the effort if that's your thing.

For those interested, you will need a decent pair of binoculars. Looking north, locate the Plough, track down from there to about 30° above the horizon and fingers crossed you will see it. It's visible until the end of the month with the 23rd July being the date it's closest to the Earth.

Re: NEOWISE COMET

I'll have a look tonight if the clouds go away

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I'll have a look tonight if the clouds go away
    Good luck Bob ! Better to leave it as late as possible if you can. After midnight the skies should be clear of any cloud.

comet.jpg

pushed the camera setting to ISO 12800 and 30 second exposure. Taken out the window just now.

It can **** off. I'm sick of wasting my time. This comet is a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    comet.jpg

pushed the camera setting to ISO 12800 and 30 second exposure. Taken out the window just now.
    Nice one ! I had the foolhardy idea of trying to snap it using my phone as I got a good video of the Space Station on it a few weeks back but alas the comet is too faint.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    comet.jpg

What an absolute pisstake, I got up at 2am today to climb Pen y Fan with my mate and we saw no sign of the f**ker and you pop your head out of the window and there it is.

Saw an amazing sunrise though so still worth it

Tried to look last night, but a combination of wispy clouds and a street light in my line of sight scuppered it.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    What an absolute pisstake, I got up at 2am today to climb Pen y Fan with my mate and we saw no sign of the f**ker and you pop your head out of the window and there it is.

Saw an amazing sunrise though so still worth it
    Up at 2am to climb Pen-y-fan !! I tip my hat to you sir.

It took me 15 mins to locate it. I nearly gave up on it when the little blurry snowball appeared. I presume you are are using binoculars as you've got no chance otherwise. Good hunting !

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Knowing that there are a few celestial observers on here, I wonder if anyone has seen the Neowise comet yet. Living in a light polluted area such as Rumney and being a non-driver, I thought my chances of seeing it were negligible.

However I walked over to Llanrumney last night to a relatively dark spot and after about 15 minutes of searching the night sky through my binoculars I happened upon a blurry object with a definite tail. Not as bright as the Hale-Bopp comet of years ago, it is still worth making the effort if that's your thing.

For those interested, you will need a decent pair of binoculars. Looking north, locate the Plough, track down from there to about 30° above the horizon and fingers crossed you will see it. It's visible until the end of the month with the 23rd July being the date it's closest to the Earth.
    theres a few "relatively dark spots" over there,brave lad ??

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Up at 2am to climb Pen-y-fan !! I tip my hat to you sir.

It took me 15 mins to locate it. I nearly gave up on it when the little blurry snowball appeared. I presume you are are using binoculars as you've got no chance otherwise. Good hunting !
    No I don't own binoculars

To be honest I've always wanted to do a night climb of Pen y Fan so seeing the comet would have been a bonus anyway

I was expecting something nore like this:

Did any of you see this in real life?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I was expecting something nore like this:

Did any of you see this in real life?
    No way was it as clear as this. The image you've shown is much brighter than the Hale-Bopp comet which was spectacular compared to the Neowise comet. Some clever doctoring of the image if you ask me.

I've tried almost every night. We've had some beautiful, clear skies and I've seen the ISS sometimes twice in an evening, but the comet is to the west and by the time the western sky is dark enough, it's below the horizon.