+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Any lawyers out there ? My neighbour is a complete arse

Any lawyers out there ? My neighbour is a complete arse

A few years ago he bought a huge motor home

It completely blocks the light into my elderly mothers living room and even when the sun isnt up , it's just staring her in the face .

I told his wife a few month ago it would be kind of him to occasionally store it away to give my old dear a nice view to look out onto in her twilight years

She just said they were perfectly entitled to park it there and nobody had a right to light

I went round there this afternoon and got the same old story from him . He said it would cost him 400 quid a year for storage.......big ****ing deal ! .....so I said I would be perfectly happy to pay half of that to let some light into our house

He just said maybe that's something to talk about in the future and shut the door in my face

Hes a right ****

How can I find out if hes entitled to do what he says , it's only a small drive and it completely dominates the small close we live in

Cheers

Re: Any lawyers out there ? My neighbour is a complete arse

I'd pen a letter to them copy to yourself and local authority, setting out your concerns and ask for an agreeable solution to your problem, and advise if that agreement cannot be found , you will further engage the local authority and seek confirmation that within thier House deeds , its is allowable to park a*motorhome*on a drive , as some house deeds have a clause that specifically states that you are not allowed to keep a caravan on your*drive, this would usually include a*motorhome.

If it’s on the road, check that it’s taxed.

https://www.gov.uk/report-untaxed-vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I'd pen a letter to them copy to yourself and local authority, setting out your concerns and ask for an agreeable solution to your problem, and advise if that agreement cannot be found , you will further engage the local authority and seek confirmation that within thier House deeds , its is allowable to park a*motorhome*on a drive , as some house deeds have a clause that specifically states that you are not allowed to keep a caravan on your*drive, this would usually include a*motorhome.
    I will go straight to the land registry , if hes allowed to park his caravan there , there is f all I can do about it and I will offer to pay half the storage for him

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    If it’s on the road, check that it’s taxed.

https://www.gov.uk/report-untaxed-vehicle
    Its taxed

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    A few years ago he bought a huge motor home

It completely blocks the light into my elderly mothers living room and even when the sun isnt up , it's just staring her in the face .

I told his wife a few month ago it would be kind of him to occasionally store it away to give my old dear a nice view to look out onto in her twilight years

She just said they were perfectly entitled to park it there and nobody had a right to light

I went round there this afternoon and got the same old story from him . He said it would cost him 400 quid a year for storage.......big ****ing deal ! .....so I said I would be perfectly happy to pay half of that to let some light into our house

He just said maybe that's something to talk about in the future and shut the door in my face

Hes a right ****

How can I find out if hes entitled to do what he says , it's only a small drive and it completely dominates the small close we live in

Cheers
    I would suggest you get in touch with your local authority as someone has also suggested. They ought to be able to give you some advice about this. You need also to advise them about loss of light as there are quite strict rules that certainly apply to planning consent on the subject of light. I'm not sure how they apply to a large vehicle but this might also be construed as 'anti-social' behaviour. I don't want to build your hopes up but try that route first. Good luck, TIB!

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    I would suggest you get in touch with your local authority as someone has also suggested. They ought to be able to give you some advice about this. You need also to advise them about loss of light as there are quite strict rules that certainly apply to planning consent on the subject of light. I'm not sure how they apply to a large vehicle but this might also be construed as 'anti-social' behaviour. I don't want to build your hopes up but try that route first. Good luck, TIB!
    Thank you taffy

There’s some “nice people”, living on Rover Way, who are partial to nice camper vans.

Drop ‘um a line, as to where this one is parked up

https://www.reddit.com/r/LegalAdvice...m_source=share

Just make up an anon account and ask in here there's usually someone that's had a similar incident or the occasional person who actually knows what they're talking about to be able to point you in the right direction.

I'd ask but I'm banned.

Oh Mush **** off who do you think you are. Don't you look at me like that I'll do your ****ing car.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I will go straight to the land registry , if hes allowed to park his caravan there , there is f all I can do about it and I will offer to pay half the storage for him
    If it's a new build there is a good chance they cannot park on the drive as there will be a covenant preventing this. Loss of light only covers planning permission and doesn't cover vehicles.

Here's the government advice regarding neighbour disputes - https://www.gov.uk/how-to-resolve-neighbour-disputes

Other than that you are pretty much screwed and a last resort would be to make your neighbours life hell but don't play your music as that is covered by legislation.

Give a smack head 20 quid to torch it.

Right to light is a form of easement in English law that gives a long-standing owner of a building with windows a right to maintain the level of illumination. It is based on the Ancient Lights law. The rights are most usually acquired under the Prescription Act 1832.

In the first instance contact your local District Council.

An earlier suggestion that there may be a clause in the Deeds preventing the parking of motorhomes is, on the face of it, a reasonable suggestion but first you have to contact the landowner who placed the Covenant on the land originally and get them to prosecute. From personal experience I have found this to be virtually impossible as landowners are difficult to trace and even then why would they go to the expense of enforcing the Covenant when there is nothing in it for them?

If it's a local authority property that would be much much easier as they are far more willing to enforce covenants they impose.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Ere mate, want 3 peperami for 2 quid?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Ere mate, want 3 peperami for 2 quid?
    Not quick enough son

Not quick enough son
    Had to spell peperami again ****ing fat fingers.
    Oh well

Had to spell peperami again ****ing fat fingers.
    Oh well
    I knew you’d pick up on it when I said snacks

Here's the act you mentioned - https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...3/71/section/3

There is also a right to light act - https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...-8/56/contents

https://www.reddit.com/r/LegalAdvice...m_source=share

Just make up an anon account and ask in here there's usually someone that's had a similar incident or the occasional person who actually knows what they're talking about to be able to point you in the right direction.

I'd ask but I'm banned.
    Sadly so am I

And grinder

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    If it's a new build there is a good chance they cannot park on the drive as there will be a covenant preventing this. Loss of light only covers planning permission and doesn't cover vehicles.

Here's the government advice regarding neighbour disputes - https://www.gov.uk/how-to-resolve-neighbour-disputes

Other than that you are pretty much screwed and a last resort would be to make your neighbours life hell but don't play your music as that is covered by legislation.
    I will park on the pavement where he parks his car outside his house , thinking it is his

Which it isnt

I can do that myself

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Right to light is a form of easement in English law that gives a long-standing owner of a building with windows a right to maintain the level of illumination. It is based on the Ancient Lights law. The rights are most usually acquired under the Prescription Act 1832.

In the first instance contact your local District Council.

An earlier suggestion that there may be a clause in the Deeds preventing the parking of motorhomes is, on the face of it, a reasonable suggestion but first you have to contact the landowner who placed the Covenant on the land originally and get them to prosecute. From personal experience I have found this to be virtually impossible as landowners are difficult to trace and even then why would they go to the expense of enforcing the Covenant when there is nothing in it for them?

If it's a local authority property that would be much much easier as they are far more willing to enforce covenants they impose.
    Thank you

Its private housing , built in 1970

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    Thank you

War is declared

I knew you’d pick up on it when I said snacks

Been on the weights a few weeks now but still with the same diet so I went out today and got a load of tidy food or it was never going to last. Add a bit of cardio this week as well to get rid of the belly. Not even saying how many takeaways I had last week.