+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Following City for the last 20 Seasons.

Following City for the last 20 Seasons.

..since Hammam bought the club we've played 20 seasons. I calculate that if you include the infamous 6-0 defeat at Preston season, we've been involved in either Promotion or relegation, or Cup Final appearances in 14 out of 20 seasons.

1 FA Cup Final
    1 League Cup Final
    4 Promotions
    4 Play off semi-finals [losing]
    1 Play off final [winning]
    2 Relegations
    1 Botched 'Play off' [Preston, Ipswich].

Excluded the top 6 PL clubs who are always going to be up there challenging for something, I reckon we've been right royally entertained these last 2 decades..

Re: Following City for the last 20 Seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    ..since Hammam bought the club we've played 20 seasons. I calculate that if you include the infamous 6-0 defeat at Preston season, we've been involved in either Promotion or relegation, or Cup Final appearances in 14 out of 20 seasons.

1 FA Cup Final
    1 League Cup Final
    4 Promotions
    2 Relegations

Excluded the top 6 PL clubs who are always going to be up there challenging for something, I reckon we've been right royally entertained these last 2 decades..
    Always been something going on off the pitch as well, new stadium, near administration, winding up orders, rebrand...

We had a run of seasons with something to play for until the last game of the season that was remarkable, spanning much of dave jones' time and up until russel slade I think.

I suffered from 1968 ~ 2003 years of backwaters, downs and not many ups.

My lad's first game was Leeds Utd FA Cup 2003, in the intervening years he's seen all of the excitement mentioned above plus watching an entertaining and successful Wales side.

He has no idea how grey & dull the preceding decades were!

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I suffered from 1968 ~ 2003 years of backwaters, downs and not many ups.

My lad's first game was Leeds Utd FA Cup 2003, in the intervening years he's seen all of the excitement mentioned above plus watching an entertaining and successful Wales side.

He has no idea how grey & dull the preceding decades were!
    Same here..

It’s almost been the golden era in our history

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    It’s almost been the golden era in our history
    The 1920s definitely rivals the last twenty years and we were an established First Division side for a while in the 50s, but you can definitely make a case for the twenty first century up to now being the most successful and entertaining in the club's history, but the one glaring omission for me is that there has been no European football - younger City fans are definitely missing something when it comes to them.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post

1 FA Cup Final
    1 League Cup Final
    4 Promotions
    2 Relegations

Indeed we have. I've been a supporter since 1964 and the last 20 years have totally eclipsed the previous 30 odd years and then some. Yes there were the European nights but most seasons were a slog, perpetually trying to stave off relegation, with just the odd good season in the lower leagues to break the monotony. Ever since we returned to the Championship courtesy of Andy Campbell's winner, life has been a bed of roses compared to what went on before.

I remember doing a piece of schoolwork in the late 1990s that showed that the most promoted or relegated clubs in the last [10/20 can’t remember] years were Cardiff and Swansea. So it’s been lively for a while.

Meanwhile at Goodison Park...