+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: For all Cardiff City fans who aren't from Cardiff

Re: For all Cardiff City fans who aren't from Cardiff

I was born in Lancashire and supported Manchester United as a kid. When The family moved to Wales I didn’t start supporting the City until I went to high school when I started going with mates. Despite being English, I bloody loved it and was addicted from the start.

I think I’m right in remembering my second match was against Plymouth in the league cup and we were losing 4-1 at half time and went on to win 5-4. Amazing. When I moved back to Manchester and people found out I supported Cardiff, weirdly they didn’t accuse me of being a glory hunter. One of my highlights was watching us beat United at Old Trafford in the First Division IOM. Amazing day that was.

The worst thing about living over in Australia is missing the football, my friends and my family. The sunshine is nice but the sausages and sporting events are severely lacking.

Now I’m stuck with us but I still kind of like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    The infamous Pencoed Jacks. *smirks*

Played football in Maesteg once and had a proper kerfuffle with an opposing player who was a miserable, snide twaat. After spending 45 minutes winding him up and putting my studs into his feet. Usually after a match I kiss and make up so waited for him by their bar to do the gentleman's thing. He only turned up with a Jack top on. Even better they won and City lost and one of my team mates told the chopsy ****er where my allegiance laid. I didn't buy him a pint and was close to ****ing strangling the scruffy wanker by the time I left.

Unfairly it seems I've always thought of Maesteg as a Jack hovel inhabited by strange scruffy ****ers. Now I know it's just a hovel inhabited by scruffy ****ers. It's these gems of local knowledge I use this board for.
    There is a few in pencoed, didn’t one post on here for a bit. Total bell

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    If you aren't a glory hunter what are the realistic choices then? Pretty obvious in my opinion but there we are.
    The question was, what made Welsh folk choose Cardiff over Swansea. There are fans from all over Wales that support both teams. You seem a decent enough guy, but you’ve got form for posting the odd strange one 😁

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    The question was, what made Welsh folk choose Cardiff over Swansea. There are fans from all over Wales that support both teams. You seem a decent enough guy, but you’ve got form for posting the odd strange one 😁
    You're a right soft lad ain't you.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    You're a right soft lad ain't you.
    Message board perceptions eh?
    You’d want me on your side in a spot of bother.
    Trust me on that one. 👍

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    When I was an impressionable teenager Merthyr was blue. It was the height of the hooligan era late 80s / early 90s and it was certainly not a safe place for the few Jacks in town. Supporting Swansea was not something you broadcast around Merthyr in those days.

These days since the 7 years the Jacks spent in the PL there’s a lot more Jacks in Merthyr. I’d still say the town was blue but not the large majority that it used to be.
    The worst times to be a city supporter was back in the 70's. So much violence

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Wouldn’t be Ludchurch would it?
    No, that would have been a hell of a guess though

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by welshwarrior View Post
    The worst times to be a city supporter was back in the 70's. So much violence
    Oh fk yes

It was the best of times It was the worst of times

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Oh fk yes

It was the best of times It was the worst of times
    It was pretty naughty in the nineties and early 2000s too

The 70s were something else, no segregation, you wore your colours everywhere as a badge of honour (even if secretly you were shitting yourself), train stations, the route to the ground, the ground itself, then you had to make your way back to the station. It was like the movie 'The Warriors' every single week, I wouldn't have changed it though, great times.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    The 70s were something else, no segregation, you wore your colours everywhere as a badge of honour (even if secretly you were shitting yourself), train stations, the route to the ground, the ground itself, then you had to make your way back to the station. It was like the movie 'The Warriors' every single week, I wouldn't have changed it though, great times.
    The lower leagues in the mid to late eighties and nineties

City fans would invade places like hereford , exeter , stockport , tranmere etc

It was a bit of a shock at times , for us

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    No, that would have been a hell of a guess though
    I knew a Delme from Ludchurch back in the 80s and he’s the only Delme I’ve met, so thought I’d take a punt!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Practically no CCTV anywhere, no mobile phone calls from mates who'd already arrived at the away game destination... you really did stumble blindly into some very naughty situations.
    'Football specials', resulting in ridiculous numbers of away fans arriving on mass, making it difficult for the police to get a grip on things.
    Drinking alcohol on the buses to away days.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    I knew a Delme from Ludchurch back in the 80s and he’s the only Delme I’ve met, so thought I’d take a punt!
    Sorry to be a letdown

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Sorry to be a letdown
    Not at all! 👍🏻

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Message board perceptions eh?
    You’d want me on your side in a spot of bother.
    Trust me on that one. 👍
    Yes, that's obviously what I meant. How else could I mean it?