+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: For all Cardiff City fans who aren't from Cardiff

For all Cardiff City fans who aren't from Cardiff

What made you choose Cardiff City over Swansea City? Was it personal choice, family? Location etc ?
    If your from Bridgend (roughly half way), what swayed you?

Re: For all Cardiff City fans who aren't from Cardiff

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    What made you choose Cardiff City over Swansea City? Was it personal choice, family? Location etc ?
    If your from Bridgend (roughly half way), what swayed you?
    I was born in neath , my uncle from neath was a cardiff fan

He took me as a young kid then I picked up my interest in my teens

You will be surprised at the level of cardiff support in neath , port talbot especially and porthcawl , margam , bridgend

I'm from Newport. My grandparents used to take me and my cousins.

All their kids used to go with them when were younger (mother and uncle)

They were from Risca. I didn't have much interest as a kid but would say supported them at my late teens.

Newport County never game into the equation, they were probably so far down leagues.

I would say I probably don't have the same dislike for Swansea as some from Cardiff.

I think there was quite a following ratio wise for Cardiff from Newport a few years ago but has probably been saturated as the club has performed better.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post

They were from Risca. I didn't have much interest as a kid but would say supported them at my late teens.

Newport County never game into the equation, they were probably so far down leagues.

I would say I probably don't have the same dislike for Swansea as some from Cardiff.

I think there was quite a following ratio wise for Cardiff from Newport a few years ago but has probably been saturated as the club has performed better.
    Are there may native Newportians who support City? I can't see it myself, they're not keen on us.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post

Used to be a great crew from Cwmbran back in the 90’s home and away with City and Wales.

Born in Cardiff. Man Utd fan

I was in Risca when I started. (1970).
    Jones's coaches used to do specials down the valley straight to the ground and back.(Sat aftenoons only)

County were in their record-breaking season - record of longest start to a season without a win.

My boys were born in London, in the middle of the Arsenel/Spurs/WHU triangle (Leyton) So started out as ManU fans
    I had to convert them when I moved back to Cardiff. They're ST holders now.

Rhondda Valley at a time it was much easier to get to Cardiff than anywhere else. Loyalty has been tested often but it's in the blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Are there may native Newportians who support City? I can't see it myself, they're not keen on us.
    I am and have numerous friends from Newport who support City.
    When I first started going down to watch Cardiff in the early 90’s there used to be a bit of hostility.
    Not nowadays though.

Rhymney Valley.
    Cardiff City territory

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Used to be a great crew from Cwmbran back in the 90’s home and away with City and Wales.
    I remember them well

Older guy with grey hair followed by a younger bunch

One had long black hair , wore eye liner , was always pissed playing pool and looked like a heroin addict

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I remember them well

One had long black hair , wore eye liner , was always pissed playing pool and looked like a heroin addict

When I was an impressionable teenager Merthyr was blue. It was the height of the hooligan era late 80s / early 90s and it was certainly not a safe place for the few Jacks in town. Supporting Swansea was not something you broadcast around Merthyr in those days.

These days since the 7 years the Jacks spent in the PL there’s a lot more Jacks in Merthyr. I’d still say the town was blue but not the large majority that it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I remember them well

Steve Strange was a Bluebird?

I'm from West Wales, Swansea's an hour away and were never a thing when I was growing up, I supported Man Utd like most of the other kids. Moved to Cardiff in 2001, Divine Wright off here took me to Ninian Park and that was that

From Monmouth, uncle took me to a game in 1968, Toshack, Clark, Murray etc, hooked ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Steve Strange was a Bluebird?
    He did indeed look like steve strange

But a fat one

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    When I was an impressionable teenager Merthyr was blue. It was the height of the hooligan era late 80s / early 90s and it was certainly not a safe place for the few Jacks in town. Supporting Swansea was not something you broadcast around Merthyr in those days.

These days since the 7 years the Jacks spent in the PL there’s a lot more Jacks in Merthyr. I’d still say the town was blue but not the large majority that it used to be.
    Do you remember big nick from tredegar ?

Used to wear a yellow french foreign legion type of baseball cap

Was there home and away for many years then just stopped

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    From Monmouth, uncle took me to a game in 1968, Toshack, Clark, Murray etc, hooked ever since.
    When I was a regular in the supporters club the coaches would always stop and pick up at Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    I am and have numerous friends from Newport who support City.
    When I first started going down to watch Cardiff in the early 90’s there used to be a bit of hostility.
    Not nowadays though.
    Hostility towards you? You've got to be joking! You were-are a City fan.

Old man used to watch the city but moved away from Wales in the late 70s. We moved back in the late 80s not long after I was born

City would've been the closest football league side growing up too so if you wanted a fix of professional football then Ninian Park was the closest ground in which to see it.

Always thought despite it being in the same ground how different the experience must’ve been for my dad, going from 2nd tier and regular European football to 3rd/4th tier yo yo club with a few thousand in attendance. May have felt a little like watching a different club in a way.

City has tended to feel a bit like a regional “South (East) Wales” club to me and I can’t say I overtly identify with Cardiff in a civic sense as I’m not from there. I like the place itself don’t get me wrong, lived there very happily for the best part of a decade and knew it fairly well.

Appreciate it may sound strange to a Cardiffian but for me the club could’ve been from any area of South Wales really. Sure there must be other places with a scarcity of professional clubs where this might happen - Tyne and Wear, Norfolk?

I think he means hostility from the locals to someone from newport supporting cardiff city instead of county

Most of the people I have met from newport support liverpool or man united

Cwmbran is an interesting town though , seem to be loads of cardiff fans up there

I'm from Pontypridd, so City are the closest team to me. And I watched the Hamburg game on TV in 1968 and 3 days later went down and saw my first game. Swansea were always lower League then anyway. As soon as went to my first game that was it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I'm from Pontypridd, so City are the closest team to me. And I watched the Hamburg game on TV in 1968 and 3 days later went down and saw my first game. Swansea were always lower League then anyway. As soon as went to my first game that was it for me.
    Mair and Roy Daniel , Adar Glas supporters club coaches from pontypridd

You would have to go a long way to find two more genuine and loyal cardiff fans than those two

I believe they have both passed away now

Sorry Mate, I meant in Newport.