+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sir Thomas Picton statue to be removed from Cardiff City Hall

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sir Thomas Picton statue to be removed from Cardiff City Hall

A STATUE of a “sadistic” 19th century slave owner will be removed from Cardiff City Hall following a vote from councillors.

The marble statue of Sir Thomas Picton has stood in the civic building since 1916, as part of the Heroes of Wales collection.

He was the most senior officer killed at the Battle of Waterloo, and was also known for executing a dozen slaves while governor of Trinidad.

In one instance, he authorised the illegal torture of 14-year-old Louisa Calderon, and while he was found guilty he was never sentenced.

After the toppling of the statue of Edward Colston in Bristol, Cardiff Council has faced calls for its removal by Black Lives Matter protesters.

Cardiff councillors voted 57 in favour of removing Picton’s statue, five against, and nine abstentations.

It will be covered up while Cardiff Council seeks permission from the Welsh government to remove it, as the City Hall is a Grade I listed building.

https://www.voice-online.co.uk/news/...iff-city-hall/

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9636046.html

Re: Sir Thomas Picton statue to be removed from Cardiff City Hall

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

A STATUE of a “sadistic” 19th century slave owner will be removed from Cardiff City Hall following a vote from councillors.

The marble statue of Sir Thomas Picton has stood in the civic building since 1916, as part of the Heroes of Wales collection.

He was the most senior officer killed at the Battle of Waterloo, and was also known for executing a dozen slaves while governor of Trinidad.

In one instance, he authorised the illegal torture of 14-year-old Louisa Calderon, and while he was found guilty he was never sentenced.

After the toppling of the statue of Edward Colston in Bristol, Cardiff Council has faced calls for its removal by Black Lives Matter protesters.

Cardiff councillors voted 57 in favour of removing Picton’s statue, five against, and nine abstentations.

It will be covered up while Cardiff Council seeks permission from the Welsh government to remove it, as the City Hall is a Grade I listed building.

https://www.voice-online.co.uk/news/...iff-city-hall/

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9636046.html
    Good news, and it'll upset the racists and bigots, eve better news.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    This ^^^

Isn't there a Picton Place somewhere in the city?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Isn't there a Picton Place somewhere in the city?
    I think it's off Cowbridge Road East in Canton, just before the 'Happy Gathering'.

Even back then why would they put up a statue of someone they know has done all that stuff? Now we'll have brain dead idiots crying over something they weren't bothered about before they didn't know about it but now it's the most important thing in the world to whine over on social media.. ****ing numpties.

What about the slave traders, still alive.

Sir Phillip Green, for starters

yep..there's loads of slavery going on today. I don't give a feck about the statue or any statue tbh..But once again people are focusing on the past and not fixing the problems that are here right now

He wasnt a very nice guy let's be honest

If leeds city council were happy to take down statues of jimmy saville then I think it's fair enough that picton gets the chop

Billy Boston would be a nice replacement

I have some sympathy for the guy.

Apparently, as a child, he was badly picked on.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    What about the slave traders, still alive.

Sir Phillip Green, for starters

That Teflon-coated scumbag still retains his knighthood, despite having a long list of appalling behaviours that is typical of his sort:

Paying slave wages (a misnomer, I know) to his sweatshop workers, awful pay and conditions for his employees, massive tax avoidance, stealing from the pension fund, numerous sexual assault allegations, etc, etc.

But the system is built for people like him, so he remains protected by it. 🤬

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Agree. But but but damn lefties erasing our history etc etc etc.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Apart from his ownership and mistreatment of slaves he is chiefly remembered for his exploits under Wellington. he fought in many engagements, displaying great bravery. Wellington called rough foul mouthed and irascible. He was killed in 1815 fighting at the Battle of Waterloo, leading, with only his rolled up umbrella, a crucial bayonet charge in which his division stopped d'Erlon's corps' attack against Wellingtons centre. He was the most senior officer to die at Waterloo.
    Seems that a fair number of folk in the past that were heroes of their times also had a very dark side

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Apart from his ownership and mistreatment of slaves he is chiefly remembered for his exploits under Wellington. he fought in many engagements, displaying great bravery. Wellington called rough foul mouthed and irascible. He was killed in 1815 fighting at the Battle of Waterloo, leading, with only his rolled up umbrella, a crucial bayonet charge in which his division stopped d'Erlon's corps' attack against Wellingtons centre. He was the most senior officer to die at Waterloo.
    Seems that a fair number of folk in the past that were heroes of their times also had a very dark side
    I'm not at all experienced in the military but even I know you need something with a bit more firepower than an umbrella if you're running towards the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I'm not at all experienced in the military but even I know you need something with a bit more firepower than an umbrella if you're running towards the enemy.
    Picton.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post

The bloke was a f*g nutcase by all contemporary accounts so I wouldn’t be surprised

I just saw Jon1959 post. Sums it up I guess

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Did he though? History is written by the victors.

The Connecticut and Massachusetts colonies offered bounties for the heads of killed hostile Indians, and later for just their scalps, during the Pequot War in the 1630s;[15] Connecticut specifically reimbursed Mohegans for slaying the Pequot in 1637.[16] Four years later, the Dutch in New Amsterdam offered bounties for the heads of Raritans.[16] In 1643, the Iroquois attacked a group of Huron pelters and French carpenters near Montreal, killing and scalping three of the French.[17]

Do we go through history, picking out all the bad. ????

I don’t think any family would be left untarnished

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

Do we go through history, picking out all the bad. ????
    No but if there's statues up celebrating people who sold other people as commodities we consider that such a dehumanising act that their negative actions outweigh anything positive they did in their lives and we take them down.

Also randomly typing HISTORY into Wikipedia and copy pasting is not the basis of a strong argument

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    No but if there's statues up celebrating people who sold other people as commodities we consider that such a dehumanising act that their negative actions outweigh anything positive they did in their lives and we take them down.

Also randomly typing HISTORY into Wikipedia and copy pasting is not the basis of a strong argument
    So why not take down all effigies of God? God’s instructions on how to treat slaves are in Exodus for all to read!!
    My view is that God has contributed very little of any good to mankind and therefore his many statues, paintings etc. should be summarily dispensed with.Tell that to the happy clappers!!

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    SO SO TRUE.
    Like Churchill when he sunk the French ships 1200 allies died on those ships.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    SO SO TRUE.
    I think it well known that Churchill was a horrible c*nt, no time for the man at all, bloke’s like him would drop the likes of us like a shithouse seat, horrible man.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I think it well known that Churchill was a horrible c*nt, no time for the man at all, bloke’s like him would drop the likes of us like a shithouse seat, horrible man.
    On the contrary I think that it is widely accepted , for all of his faults, that Churchill was a remarkable human being. A colossal figure in 20th. century history. There are many biographies of the man but as a starter I suggest you read Roy Jenkins’ fine work Churchill. Churchill’s own great works of literature such My Early Life, The History of the English Speaking Peoples, The Second World War and many others give us an insight into the breadth of his energy and intellect.
    A man of small stature but he cast a giant shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    SO SO TRUE.
    Churchill also sacrificed the 51st Highland Division after Dunkirk and was the chief architect of the division of the Balkans and the separation of the Middle East to create the state of Israel. The putting down with the help of the Japanese of all people of the Indian army’s revolt in Singapore during WW 1

And so on

He’s got an awful lot to answer for

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post

Agree with you about history being written rewritten and revised by the victors

I don’t have personal knowledge of his exploits but contemporary accounts for example ‘Wellington’ by Barbara Longford And Wellington: The Years of the Sword.
    Wellingtons Welsh General: life of Sir Thomas Picton by Robert Harvard
    paint his character quite darkly whilst praising his ferocious approach to fighting battles. Seems the type of bloke you’d want on your side rather than playing for the opposition. A bit like Sergio Ramos