+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sir Thomas Picton statue to be removed from Cardiff City Hall

Re: Sir Thomas Picton statue to be removed from Cardiff City Hall

Quote Originally Posted by pomeroy View Post
    When I joined this board many years ago, albeit under another user name, there were no preconditions re. political persuasion. I find it disturbing that an “ International “ poster would deride me for being a Tory, even if I was one. It seems that your life post Thatcher has been one dedicated to the enviable pastime of fishing whilst I was running a sweat shop, working 16 hours a day , which eventually enabled me to buy my own stretch of the Usk.
    what's an international poster?

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    what's an international poster?
    Check above your avatar

Check above your avatar
    woah!

When I joined this board many years ago, albeit under another user name, there were no preconditions re. political persuasion. I find it disturbing that an “ International “ poster would deride me for being a Tory, even if I was one. It seems that your life post Thatcher has been one dedicated to the enviable pastime of fishing whilst I was running a sweat shop, working 16 hours a day , which eventually enabled me to buy my own stretch of the Usk.
    No post thatcher I have been a housing advice worker trying to help people affected by her wicked social policies

I had to give that up to look after my elderly parents , again made more difficult by the market based approach to social care

I cant stand conservatives I am afraid and that's the way it is , especially those trying to defend the statues of people like Winston Churchill, I dont care how intellectual he was , in many peoples opinion he was a horrible man . And he was dumped out of office .

You seem to be suggesting you are the only person who has put in long hours at work .......clearly cobblers ....and your reward is a stretch on the usk

Well done , good for you although I prefer to fish fisheries with mixed species , I find fly fishing boring and with a spinner you could end up with a wild brownie , perch , chub or pike

Tight lines

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    woah!
    You were an International and didn’t know it, Congratulations.

You were an International and didn’t know it, Congratulations.
    While your mere academy status shines through in your posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Likes thatcher the bitch

Admires churchill

****ing tory
    If you were any more left wing you'll be sat in the dugout.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I originally didn’t want to see it removed and wasn’t to do (in my opinion) with racism. I like seeing statues for its aesthetic values. Whenever me and the mrs go away I always take note, pictures and read the plaques of the history of the statues. Always liked going through Cathays park to go past the statue there. If Picton was removed what would be there instead? And at what cost to the public.

When it’s historical, it’s so far removed from life, for me the good and the bad doesn’t come into it? Would I look and read a statue of Genghis Khan, or Nero? Absolutely. I can still be disgusted by the person whilst in awe of the history behind it. I’ve been to the killing fields in Cambodia and sat and looked at the wall of skulls. It’s fascinating and yet it’s disgusting. For me if it’s contextualised, it’s different. It’s so far removed from my life I don’t believe it does anything than just reflect history.

Then I’d try to think how I’d feel if it was more recent history. Take Michael Jackson. One of the most brilliant musicians of all time, he tackled climate change 20 years before most, countless charities like aids, cancer but a wrong’un it seems. Would I be happy with a statue of him up now? Absolutely not. It’s complicated where people remove themselves from the bad that didn’t affect them. Ironically a staunch BLM supporter Dave Chappelle, kind of gave support to MJ in his sticks and stones special. Admittedly MJ was never convicted.

My personal view is that these people because they don’t see or encounter racism, don’t fold that into the thinking. They just see it as a statue.

I’m not longer against the removal of the statue but I don’t want the thinking to become a tit-for-tat whataboutisms. Everything should be on merit but the parameters of what is merit is constantly shifting.
    A very good post My personal stance is to leave the statue where it is, and maybe put some information up about his connection/activities with the despicable slave trade. From info an e-mail i received recently the Picton statue was gifted to the people of Wales by David Alfred Thomas, 1st Viscount Rhondda and the statue was chosen through public ballot through a competition run by The Western Mail. And was for his heroic efforts at the battle of waterloo, and not because of anything he contributed to the community as a result of profits from slave trading. I am afraid and fear people will be tempted to engage in the tit-for-tat whataboutisms. I wonder how many khmers would like to tear up the tin-shed shrine/cremation site of Pol pot in the mountains Anlong veng, and S21 but don't because there would be nothing to remind people of his and his regimes racism and madness.
    I was all for putting my full support behind the BLM and joining in in Barry a few weeks ago, but i felt the defacing of Churchill's statue the day before was well out of order. I am and will always be anti racist, but will not take part in protests or be involved in mob hatred.
    Spedger

I never said I liked Thatcher but I do admire Churchill. I have voted Labour, Tory, Plaid and Green. I base my political preferences on the arguments put before me not on ingrained social prejudice.
    Ingrained Social Prejudice is what the Tories were founded on.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Why not, they tore down the Vetch.

What have the Romans ever done for us ?

If the Romans really did tear down the Vetch that’s a win in my libre

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    You think thatcher was an extraordinary leader ?

And you continually try to make us believe you are a labour voter ?

Feckin get out of here
    Because someone recognises ability doesn't make them a Tory . I was referring to Churchill it still doesnt make me a Tory , I recognise Blair's abilities, doesn't make me a lite Tory

I recognise Thatchers strengths as a woman and as a very driven leader in a make oriented plotical party doesnt make me a fan .

Recognising something doesnt make you a supporter , they are two different behaviours.

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    What have the Romans ever done for us ?

If the Romans really did tear down the Vetch that’s a win in my libre
    Its a pity the Romans didn't use the Vetch to put on those people v lions events, would have been cheaper than building the coluesuim and kept the population under control .

it was inevitable that this thread would descend into political one upmanship, with hatred and intolerance of alternative opinion shining through, some things never change

Great post by WJ99mobile though, I echo what he wrote

Theres a fantastic example of how we should approach this in Hamburg where there still stands a monument to WW1 Nazi Infantry instead of tearing it down they erected a second monument alongside it showing the horrors of WW2 .

Thats the way to do it .

Theres a fantastic example of how we should approach this in Hamburg where there still stands a monument to WW1 Nazi Infantry instead of tearing it down they erected a second monument alongside it showing the horrors of WW2 .

Thats the way to do it .

Heisenberg

Thats the way to do it .
    WW1 Nazi Infantry...

World War One.

Nazi.

Infantry.