+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: When Saturday Comes

When Saturday Comes

Anyone still read WSC? They're celebrating their 400th issue at the moment. Interesting how they started out in the 80s more or less defending football and its poor reputation and now, having generally maintained their philosophical position, are more critical of what it's become; like the whole game has changed around them.

I started buying it in 1989 (from Spillers Records, no less) and it's still the football media which connects with me the most - recognising that the football world is a crazy, pompous, sometimes rotten place, but there's still much to love, and also self-aware enough to see our own role in the daft old circus.

I'd recommend the podcast too, particularly if you like the game's historical lunacies and quirks.

Re: When Saturday Comes

Yep, I used to read it in the 80s - then we had the influx of Club Specific fanzines - Intafada ? Oh Bluebird of Happiness and some others I can’t remember the names of.

Read WSC for many years, an excellent publication.

Intifada was very well written

Well it was when I had articles in it

Bluebird of Happiness was good too but at its lynchpin was gareth Bennett who turned out to be a far right mouthpiece and it is to my internal shame that I gave him a lift to torquay once . I still fumigate my car .

Been subscribing for years wonderful read.

I remember when it came out, about 1986. It was just a fanzine back then. Glad to see it's still going.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Intifada was very well written

Well it was when I had articles in it

Bluebird of Happiness was good too but at its lynchpin was gareth Bennett who turned out to be a far right mouthpiece and it is to my internal shame that I gave him a lift to torquay once . I still fumigate my car .
    That shame will stay with you forever🤣

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    That shame will stay with you forever🤣
    He seemed ok at the time

Almost like a statto type character

Very strange

I'm still a reader every month

I loved OBOH and watch the bluebirds fly. Still have some in the garage.

Funny as I just read this months WSC in the bath earlier

I come across a copy of it every now and again and am always struck by how fresh and relevant it still feels - I'll have to start listening to the podcast.

Not read it for an age but some of their articles on European football were fantastic at a time there wasn’t the accessibility to things like the internet.

The editorial articles were a little sanctimonious and pontificating on occasions though.

Wasn’t one of the editors Bill Brewster?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Not read it for an age but some of their articles on European football were fantastic at a time there wasn’t the accessibility to things like the internet.

The editorial articles were a little sanctimonious and pontificating on occasions though.

Wasn’t one of the editors Bill Brewster?
    Involved early on, I think. I'm not sure he's been involved for a while though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Anyone still read WSC? They're celebrating their 400th issue at the moment. Interesting how they started out in the 80s more or less defending football and its poor reputation and now, having generally maintained their philosophical position, are more critical of what it's become; like the whole game has changed around them.

I started buying it in 1989 (from Spillers Records, no less) and it's still the football media which connects with me the most - recognising that the football world is a crazy, pompous, sometimes rotten place, but there's still much to love, and also self-aware enough to see our own role in the daft old circus.

I'd recommend the podcast too, particularly if you like the game's historical lunacies and quirks.
    I read it. Harry Pearson is a contributor, fantastic writer, i thoroughly recommend his book 'The Far Corner' It's about supporting Middlesbrough, North East Football, life in general and the fabled Sunderland Skinhead!

Involved early on, I think. I'm not sure he's been involved for a while though.
    Thank **** for that.

I remember him getting interviewed for some tv programme decrying hooliganism late 80s, perhaps early 90s. It was one of those programmes who had Magenta Devine as a reporter/presenter. He was having an apoplexy over England fans being England fans if there’s no Russians about.

For whatever reason it made me and my brother laugh when we saw it. Probably says more about my family than him.

I also remember he wasn’t fussed on some fanzines who were close to the bone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I read it. Harry Pearson is a contributor, fantastic writer, i thoroughly recommend his book 'The Far Corner' It's about supporting Middlesbrough, North East Football, life in general and the fabled Sunderland Skinhead!
    I agree about Pearson and keep meaning to get that book. He's written a follow-up which is coming out next month, I think.

I agree about Pearson and keep meaning to get that book. He's written a follow-up which is coming out next month, I think.
    Thanks for the heads up