+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone else on here a regular fisherman

Re: Is anyone else on here a regular fisherman

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Loads of mullet in the taff and Ely

They are indeed hard to hook due to their soft mouths and also fight like crazy if you do hook them
    Yes, I heard that they are terrific fighters IF you manage to hook one.

Do they still allow people to fish Barry dock these days? I remember going there in the late 70's. Mostly caught small pouting there, although I did catch a twaite shad from there one day, which was a bit unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Yes, I heard that they are terrific fighters IF you manage to hook one.

Do they still allow people to fish Barry dock these days? I remember going there in the late 70's. Mostly caught small pouting there, although I did catch a twaite shad from there one day, which was a bit unusual.
    Yes barry dock is easily fished off the railings , lots of fish in there , mostly pouting , waiting etc but some Ray's, dogfish , some big bass and big conger eels , most of these have been put here by the angling clubs who refuse to kill fill during the competitions , keep them in tanks and empty them in the dock , loads of mullet in barry dock too

Yes barry dock is easily fished off the railings , lots of fish in there , mostly pouting , waiting etc but some Ray's, dogfish , some big bass and big conger eels , most of these have been put here by the angling clubs who refuse to kill fill during the competitions , keep them in tanks and empty them in the dock , loads of mullet in barry dock too
    I had just started work at a small engineering company in Taffs Well. A few of my new colleagues were keen anglers and asked me if I'd like to join them one evening at Barry dock.
    When I explained that I didn't have any fishing tackle they told me not to worry, the manager had agreed to loan me his gear.

Anyway, the fishing was really slow and we were not getting any bites. We started to turn our attention to the numerous jelly-fish that were floating near the surface.
    One of the lads used his rod to start spearing them. I thought I'd follow suit and do the same. The problem was the water level was a good few feet from ground level - I overstretched, and in order to stop myself falling in and regain my balance, I let go of the rod and down it went into the murky deeps of the dock.

The other boys didn't help when they told me the manager only bought the very best equipment!
    We used all available rods, put as many hooks as possible on each line and dredged for it.
    Imagine my relief when one of the boys managed to hook it and retrieve it!

We used to fish off the floating pontoons down Barry docks for the Mullet, They are soft mouthed, but the bites were lightening fast and hard to hit. Thirteen foot float rod and waggler set at around 4 foot with breadflake, flicking the odd bit of bread out to get them interested. My best was about 4lb, but brilliant sport on light tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterwick Blue View Post
    We used to fish off the floating pontoons down Barry docks for the Mullet, They are soft mouthed, but the bites were lightening fast and hard to hit. Thirteen foot float rod and waggler set at around 4 foot with breadflake, flicking the odd bit of bread out to get them interested. My best was about 4lb, but brilliant sport on light tackle.
    I wouldnt fancy a 4 pound mullet on float fishing tackle

When I did what I called general coarse fishing in the old days the glamorgan anglers waters of warren mill and psycodlyn mawr were my favourite waters .

Roach , Rudd, Bream , Perch , Carp , Tench on the waggler , you never knew what you were going to catch when that float dipped

Tench were my favourite , such a powerful fish

Warren mill is a dreadful place now , overstocked , too many pegs and no pike to keep the sick and old fish under control

Sant y nyll had some huge tench in it , biggest 7 pound , it was like a tank

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Upper Taff, you mean between Troedyrhiw and Aberfan trying to dodge the bailiff
    Abercanaid boy so i bit further upstream

Dont they have a pike day at pitsford ?

Some huge pike in the trout reservoirs
    Yeah you can get a predator day ticket for the pike, the one i caught was a 10lb tiddler.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Yeah you can get a predator day ticket for the pike, the one i caught was a 10lb tiddler.
    I hope they allow you to return them alive

When I was living up in yorkshire we fished the wharf and because it had trout in it the club had a stupid rule built out of ignorance that pike kill any trout that swims so all pike caught had to be killed , I refuse to kill fish so got chucked out of the club for returning a beautiful 12 pound pike

Mind you some coarse fisherman are equally anti pike , warren mill in the vale of glamorgan is heavily overstocked and a few pike in there would deal,with the sick and stunted roach , Rudd and bream but the owner is an idiot who thinks pike would ruin his profits , notvrealising that the bigger , stronger roach , rudd etc and the tench , carp etc are simply not on a pikes radar .

I hope they allow you to return them alive

When I was living up in yorkshire we fished the wharf and because it had trout in it the club had a stupid rule built out of ignorance that pike kill any trout that swims so all pike caught had to be killed , I refuse to kill fish so got chucked out of the club for returning a beautiful 12 pound pike

Mind you some coarse fisherman are equally anti pike , warren mill in the vale of glamorgan is heavily overstocked and a few pike in there would deal,with the sick and stunted roach , Rudd and bream but the owner is an idiot who thinks pike would ruin his profits , notvrealising that the bigger , stronger roach , rudd etc and the tench , carp etc are simply not on a pikes radar .
    No the Pike are to be returned - you can have a C&R day ticket for the trout as well which is good or 1 fish catch and release. I like to go out on the boat most of the time rather than wading from the bank.

No the Pike are to be returned - you can have a C&R day ticket for the trout as well which is good or 1 fish catch and release. I like to go out on the boat most of the time rather than wading from the bank.
    You seemed to have lived the life of an idle Tory Grandee. Did you have time for work?

Quote Originally Posted by pomeroy View Post
    You seemed to have lived the life of an idle Tory Grandee. Did you have time for work?
    I have had several chats with the whisperer , hes not politically on my side of the bank

The river I fish , the Ely is a mixed trout coarse water and our club direct all trout , which are wild , to be returned and all hooks to be barbless

Have you ever fished rutland ? Supposed to be huge pike in there

I Just stopped Drinking and smoking and the rest fell into place.

The river I fish , the Ely is a mixed trout coarse water and our club direct all trout , which are wild , to be returned and all hooks to be barbless

Rutland comes under the same umbrella as Pitsford so does Grafham their all much of a muchness Sludge, River Ely sounds a great little spot.

Many of us cannot afford to fish Rutland. Only Thatcherites would be able to indulge in such idle pastimes.

Many of us cannot afford to fish Rutland. Only Thatcherites would be able to indulge in such idle pastimes.
    Stop trying to derail a very pleasant thread. I don't even fish but it's nice to read people talking about something they're passionate about rather than argue about viruses and politics

Rutland comes under the same umbrella as Pitsford so does Grafham their all much of a muchness Sludge, River Ely sounds a great little spot.
    Lower taff and Ely are great rivers now , huge stocks of fish in lower stretches of taff and in cardiff bay , very large pike , brown trout , roach , carp , bream , chub , Dace , barbel , perch , mullet

I prefer the Ely

It's got wild brown trout , perch , pike , roach , chub , dace , barbel , grayling , smaller river , not a fan of big flow

You have a stretch on the usk you posh git lol

Tight lines

Fished up by chain bridge once , loads of dace , chub and roach , hoping for a pike on the spinner but not luck

You have a stretch on the usk you posh git lol

Tight lines

Fished up by chain bridge once , loads of dace , chub and roach , hoping for a pike on the spinner but not luck
    I have a stretch of the Usk courtesy of being a member of Merthyr Angling Club.
    The Taff is by far the best water in South Wales for all round fishing. When I was a kid we used to fish the Wye with Glamorgan Anglers and bring the coarse fish back in aerated dustbins. All the fish were then dumped over Western Avenue bridge into the river. This stretch
    to Llandaff Weir now have good heads of dace, grayling, roach and specimen barbel to about 20lb. Good Chub to 6lb. can be caught below Blackweir together with the odd sea trout and salmon.
    The best and cheapest way to fish for salmon and sea trout is probably the Neath.
    The Eastern Cleddau was always cheap to fish and had a good run of smallish sewin.

I have a stretch of the Usk courtesy of being a member of Merthyr Angling Club.
    The Taff is by far the best water in South Wales for all round fishing. When I was a kid we used to fish the Wye with Glamorgan Anglers and bring the coarse fish back in aerated dustbins. All the fish were then dumped over Western Avenue bridge into the river. This stretch
    to Llandaff Weir now have good heads of dace, grayling, roach and specimen barbel to about 20lb. Good Chub to 6lb. can be caught below Blackweir together with the odd sea trout and salmon.
    The best and cheapest way to fish for salmon and sea trout is probably the Neath.
    The Eastern Cleddau was always cheap to fish and had a good run of smallish sewin.
    I always wondered how the taff became such a good coarse fishery , I dont think it was ever stocked so it must have been you lot !

I take it over llandaff weir it becomes a trout only river again ? Is there coarse fish around radyr etc ?

I know the dock feeder canal is packed with roach , dace , chub , trout , perch , bream and jack pike , it leads into atlantic wharf which has some huge pike and bream and carp

What is interesting is how the Ely has grown as a coarse fishery , it had odd roach , dace and chub before which I assume were stocked by glamorgan anglers but now there are lots of pike in there , I assume they must have come up from cardiff bay which of course is now a huge freshwater lake .

The old glamorgan canal at forest farm was probably a coarse fishery many years ago and pike probably escaped from there into the taff

Used to coarse fishing neath as a kid but in terms of trout fishing my early angling was done on the ogmore in bridgend , plenty of sewin in there

I can fly fish and it is exciting but prefer to spin for the power of the take and you rarely have to strike and it's almost always caught in the jaws and easy to unhook and return alive , used to hate catching small trout on the worm or coarse fish like roach , perch , tench etc that were deep hooked , they would almost always die . I no longer sea fish as it's so cruel in that respect .

No, I occasionally get constipated.

I left afon taf on Thursday afternoon and I got the first train out of Merthyr friday morning 1980. you've just confirmed that it was the right decision....Tight lines

I always wondered how the taff became such a good coarse fishery , I dont think it was ever stocked so it must have been you lot !

I take it over llandaff weir it becomes a trout only river again ? Is there coarse fish around radyr etc ?

I know the dock feeder canal is packed with roach , dace , chub , trout , perch , bream and jack pike , it leads into atlantic wharf which has some huge pike and bream and carp

What is interesting is how the Ely has grown as a coarse fishery , it had odd roach , dace and chub before which I assume were stocked by glamorgan anglers but now there are lots of pike in there , I assume they must have come up from cardiff bay which of course is now a huge freshwater lake .

The old glamorgan canal at forest farm was probably a coarse fishery many years ago and pike probably escaped from there into the taff

Used to coarse fishing neath as a kid but in terms of trout fishing my early angling was done on the ogmore in bridgend , plenty of sewin in there

I can fly fish and it is exciting but prefer to spin for the power of the take and you rarely have to strike and it's almost always caught in the jaws and easy to unhook and return alive , used to hate catching small trout on the worm or coarse fish like roach , perch , tench etc that were deep hooked , they would almost always die . I no longer sea fish as it's so cruel in that respect .
    Good Grayling fishing below Radyr weir.Day tickets can be bought at Gary Evans shop.

Went down Ogmore river last week Sludge. Just took the fly rod. It was less than 7m tide and i was there before sun rise. Beautiful spot by the water works bridge. i jumped up on the concrete arch and was using an imitation sand eel fly. Did not catch anything but saw the biggest bass i have ever seen, easy a metre long. I will be going back this week, but thinking of just ledgering wth bread or maddies with light gear and a bigger rod with a big bait on (minging piece of squid maybe) just in case that monster bass shows its face again
    Some good information in this thread.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    Went down Ogmore river last week Sludge. Just took the fly rod. It was less than 7m tide and i was there before sun rise. Beautiful spot by the water works bridge. i jumped up on the concrete arch and was using an imitation sand eel fly. Did not catch anything but saw the biggest bass i have ever seen, easy a metre long. I will be going back this week, but thinking of just ledgering wth bread or maddies with light gear and a bigger rod with a big bait on (minging piece of squid maybe) just in case that monster bass shows its face again
    Some good information in this thread.
    Spedger
    Some big bass and mullet in the ogmore estuary , good flounder fishing too

What I cant stand about sea fishing is the idiots it attracts

Porthcawl Pier , stench of urine everywhere , small fish being taken , dogfish stabbed with a knife then thrown back

The deeps , great fishing venue but ruined by tossers too lazy to take plastic bait packets and line and beer cans home with them

It's why, among other reasons , why I knocked it on the head and have returned to coarse fishing and trout , just a shame the season isnt all year round

The only sea fishing I am interested in these days is hunting out bass etc with spinners or float fished crab or sandeel

Mate of mine and his cousin caught two 8 pound bass at summerhouse point near aberthaw a few weeks back , both on squid

Mackerel is worth a go

For the flatties and smaller bass good old fashioned ragworm used to work down ogmore