+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is anyone else on here a regular fisherman

Re: Is anyone else on here a regular fisherman

Quote Originally Posted by pomeroy View Post
    Good Grayling fishing below Radyr weir.Day tickets can be bought at Gary Evans shop.
    Are there any pike , perch etc around the weir ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Are there any pike , perch etc around the weir ?
    There are small perch. I always used to catch perch and small trout spinning where the brook enters the Taff above Western Avenue bridge. I am now more towards 80 than 70 and spent most of my early years on the banks of the Taff. We used to swim below Llandaff weir and come out looking like miners after a shift. The transformation in the river is remarkable. In those days there were only eels and blind roach. The water was black and the bottom was black. Just above Western Avenue bridge was a small island we called Tomato Island which was completely overgrown with Peashooters ( Japanese Knotweed ). We had to make sure we could get off the island before the tide came in !!. We’d believe anything in those days. After all that I have never seen a pike caught in the river even though we dumped some jack pike from the Wye over the bridge. Happy days!

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The river I fish , the Ely is a mixed trout coarse water and our club direct all trout , which are wild , to be returned and all hooks to be barbless

Have you ever fished rutland ? Supposed to be huge pike in there
    The British Record Pike was caught in llandegfedd about 20 years ago think it was 46lb if my memory serves me well. Loads of 20lb+ get caught in there though.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    if you're not in some sort of calendar with this photo there's no justice in the world
    Prob' the sad old bastards calendar!

Quote Originally Posted by pomeroy View Post
    There are small perch. I always used to catch perch and small trout spinning where the brook enters the Taff above Western Avenue bridge. I am now more towards 80 than 70 and spent most of my early years on the banks of the Taff. We used to swim below Llandaff weir and come out looking like miners after a shift. The transformation in the river is remarkable. In those days there were only eels and blind roach. The water was black and the bottom was black. Just above Western Avenue bridge was a small island we called Tomato Island which was completely overgrown with Peashooters ( Japanese Knotweed ). We had to make sure we could get off the island before the tide came in !!. We’d believe anything in those days. After all that I have never seen a pike caught in the river even though we dumped some jack pike from the Wye over the bridge. Happy days!
    Nice one !

If there were not pike in the taff then , there sure is now , loads of pike in cardiff bay , they will have made their way upstream and this is how they have got into the Ely, unless they were stocked , cant see them getting much past blackweir though , unless a few of your little ones bred up western avenue way

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Why not.

Great tune

'Migratory river fish populations plunge 76% in past 50 years'.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-past-50-years

Speaking locally whilst not interested in salmon fishing its reckoned that the taff is a good salmon river , not on a level with the Scottish rivers but miles better than it was

There are certainly loads of brown trout and grayling in the river these days

Tomorrow night I am fishing the ely again with the hope of a big wild brown trout , a big perch , a chub or even a small pike .

Jesus just how good are you all at fishing??!