+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Much post-match gnashing of teeth from some tonight..

Much post-match gnashing of teeth from some tonight..

... but I believe that people would be a bit more phylosophical had the scabs not imploded on the final day.

How many really think, hand on heart, that next season in the premiership with the squad we currently have, even with a bit of strenghthening, would be a good watch?

Re: Much post-match gnashing of teeth from some tonight..

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    ... but I believe that people would be a bit more phylosophical had the scabs not imploded on the final day.

How many really think, hand on heart, that next season in the premiership with the squad we currently have, even with a bit of strenghthening, would be a good watch?
    Since the return from lockdown we've generally been a decent side to watch. I think I've enjoyed the football more than I have for some time. We deserved to beat the Champions. We then went to a bogey ground and deservedly dispatched a side looking solid for a playoff place.

We've had some good performances and good results against good teams. Tonight was crap. Credit to Fulham but I feel we made them look better than they are.

Not me.

I think the only positive of getting promotion this time round would have been the obvious financial windfall.

Could you imagine Marlon Pack against the likes of Aguero or Salah? It's the stuff of nightmares.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Not me.

I think the only positive of getting promotion this time round would have been the obvious financial windfall.

Could you imagine Marlon Pack against the likes of Aguero or Salah? It's the stuff of nightmares.
    One injury away Aden Flint at centre back

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    One injury away Aden Flint at centre back
    Don't. It will be hard enough getting off to sleep tonight as it is.

Don't. It will be hard enough getting off to sleep tonight as it is.

It's the grim reality though. A fairly decent Championship side but threadbare in most positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Since the return from lockdown we've generally been a decent side to watch. I think I've enjoyed the football more than I have for some time. We deserved to beat the Champions. We then went to a bogey ground and deservedly dispatched a side looking solid for a playoff place.

We've had some good performances and good results against good teams. Tonight was crap. Credit to Fulham but I feel we made them look better than they are.
    I think I’d have to agree with this. Despite some obvious deficiencies our run post lockdown and the the football that has been played for the most part has been half decent with some very “un city” like grit in some games. I still think we’re a disjointed team overall, without any particular philosophy and a rag tag bunch of players.

Fulham were the side I wanted least in the play offs, despite their buccaneering run I would’ve taken Brentford and Swansea with their spawny stumble too. Not to say either of them would’ve been a walk in the park ofc.

Fulham feel like the West Ham of 2011 or whenever it was, a side that really should’ve pulled their fingers out and finished in the top two.

It's the grim reality though. A fairly decent Championship side but threadbare in most positions.
    I was trying to think where I would spend the limited amount of money we would get.

If Harris does not fancy Vaulks I would buy a holding midfielder that can win a ball, pass and most importantly protects the defence. Pack does none of these things.

For me Ralls and Vaulks sitting in with a creative midfielder in the mould of Jed Wallace (played under Harris previously too) would be ideal if we persist in one striker up top.
    I'm sorry but I'm not sure Tomlin will ever be what could be described as 90 minute fit again. Even when he is at it he is still a passenger for large parts of games. He is an impact player for me.

I'd also get a decent striker too. If nothing else somebody who can hold it up and take pressure off us and be a focal point of attacks. We all know they grow on trees though.

I don't think we'll spend much on the defence as we have more urgent need in other areas. We'll just have to hope the centre halves come through unscathed :).

From 14th to 5th. Whatever happens in the 2nd leg, it’s been a good season. Not the prettiest football to watch but alas we missed out on signing Messi again last summer.

I was trying to think where I would spend the limited amount of money we would get.

If Harris does not fancy Vaulks I would buy a holding midfielder that can win a ball, pass and most importantly protects the defence. Pack does none of these things.

For me Ralls and Vaulks sitting in with a creative midfielder in the mould of Jed Wallace (played under Harris previously too) would be ideal if we persist in one striker up top.
    I'm sorry but I'm not sure Tomlin will ever be what could be described as 90 minute fit again. Even when he is at it he is still a passenger for large parts of games. He is an impact player for me.

I'd also get a decent striker too. If nothing else somebody who can hold it up and take pressure off us and be a focal point of attacks. We all know they grow on trees though.

I don't think we'll spend much on the defence as we have more urgent need in other areas. We'll just have to hope the centre halves come through unscathed :).
    Not too sure why he didn't play Vaulks instead of the slow Pack.
    Perhaps he had a knock and again we are light in quality in that department.

Agree with most of the others you mention though priority must be we need more quality, and strength, in midfield.
    Tomlin has been excellent for us this season fair play to him but nobody else can do what he does.

Who in our side could do what Onomah did tonight?
    The guy is strong and skilful.
    Fulham have options we can only dream of.

Dig deep Vincent!

We had £20 million of players on the bench. Hardly threadbare, at this level.

Swansea had to fill their bench with some kids, last night.

Dig deep Vincent!
    We had £20 million of players on the bench. That’s exceptional at Championship level.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird23 View Post
    We had £20 million of players on the bench. Hardly threadbare, at this level.
    What was paid for them and what they are worth are two different things.
    The question was would you want to watch these players perform at the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird23 View Post
    We had £20 million of players on the bench. That’s exceptional at Championship level.
    Yes you said. See my reply.