+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reading release Charlie Adam & Chris Gunter

Reading release Charlie Adam & Chris Gunter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53538218

If, we don't go up (and being a City fan I am the eternal pessimist), could both or either of those two do a job for us as squad players next season?

Your thoughts please folks....

Re: Reading release Charlie Adam & Chris Gunter

I think not , Adams is old 34 and expensive, Gunter 31 , guess they being released due to wages , and age, we don't want a Ricky Lambert moment again ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post

If, we don't go up (and being a City fan I am the eternal pessimist), could both or either of those two do a job for us as squad players next season?

Have you seen Charlie Adam play this season?

no thanks

Adam is a shadow of his former self.

No for both for me

I’d be interested in Gunter at the right price because we’ve struggled at right back, for some time.

Gunter or Sanderson? I know who I would prefer.

I'd bring in Gunter as a squad player. Hard no for Adam.

I think Gunter would be a good shout in the Championship. He is a good character and could still do a job on the pitch. It would also be nice to have a Welsh boy and Cardiff fan around the place.

I'd have Gunter back tomorrow. Reliable, decent going forward, can defend ok. I'd even have him as back up if we got promoted.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I'd have Gunter back tomorrow. Reliable, decent going forward, can defend ok. I'd even have him as back up if we got promoted.
    I get the points you're making, Eric, but he would't be that cheap in terms of championship wages, i wouldn't be surprised if that's one of the reasons why reading have shifted him, Gunter and Adam would've been costing reading a fair few quid i wages. As for the playing side, I think that we should be aiming a little higher in terms of quality and dare i say the risk factor in terms of developing either a homegrown player or a youngster like Sanderson. For me, bringing Gunter in would be a bit of a kop out, an easy option. He's not going to get any better, most championship sides know his weaknesses. Not for me.

Gunter would be a savvy bit of business, even just as a back up in championship. Wouldn't get many better back up right back's on a free.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Gunter would be a savvy bit of business, even just as a back up in championship. Wouldn't get many better back up right back's on a free.
    No dis respect, but how do you know? unless you've watched him play over the last few seasons. I have no idea what he's like as a player now, he could be finished, on the way down.

There's a reason why a team below mid-table in the Championship are off-loading both these players... they're simply no longer good enough!
    Being a good "character" or a "City fan" isn't reason enough to want to sign Gunter.

We need to bring the age of our squad down. So no.

When I saw they had been released wondered when this would come up.
    Everyone would say no if Gunter was not Welsh he's been poor for a few years. I'm not saying he is any worse than other options we have there but that doesn't mean he is good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    There's a reason why a team below mid-table in the Championship are off-loading both these players... they're simply no longer good enough!
    Being a good "character" or a "City fan" isn't reason enough to want to sign Gunter.
    Reading have financial troubles.

I'd take Gunter

Gunter has started just 18 league games for a poor Reading side this season. Adam has started just 8.

Gunter’s destined for League One. Adam is destined for retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Gunter has started just 18 league games for a poor Reading side this season. Adam has started just 8.

Hunter destined for League One. Adam is destined for retirement.
    Gunter Bites Ya Legs.........couldn’t miss that open goal Dave

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Gunter Bites Ya Legs.........couldn’t miss that open goal Dave
    The perils of posting from a mobile....

Judging by the shape of him this season, Charlie Adam bites lots of things these days.

neither for me

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    The perils of posting from a mobile....

Ah, the Bluetit excuse

When we played reading at home my mate said "who the hell is that fat old man on the pitch?".

It was Charlie Adam.

He looked like some middle aged bloke had won a competition to be on the pitch for a testimonial game.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    When we played reading at home my mate said "who the hell is that fat old man on the pitch?".

It was Charlie Adam.

He looked like some middle aged bloke had won a competition to be on the pitch for a testimonial game.
    Hard to believe he played for Liverpool. Spent 7 years in the EPL with Stoke too. So he won't be hurting for cash.