+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: FT: CARDIFF CITY 0 - 2 FULHAM. Matchday thread

Re: FT: CARDIFF CITY 0 - 2 FULHAM. Matchday thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    It has EVERYTHING to do with tactics.

How many long balls did you see Fulham play? How much possession football did you see us play by passing and moving?

I don’t think that their players are necessarily better than ours, but they have been coached on the basics of football: pass, move, pass,
    move, keep the ball, make the other team work to gain possession, not play endless long balls where the chances of maintaining possession are dramatically less.

Who plays like that these days apart from us?

It is EVERYTHING to do with tactics.

If Fulham, Swansea and Brentford can do it, then why can’t our players? Because we have a manager that want to play another way.
    We haven’t got the players to play tippy tappy football.

Pack, supposedly our best passer tried the short passing game and gave it away I don’t know how many times.

You can’t just make players better at a trait. Fulham have spent years buying players of that mould. We’ve spent it buying athletic, strong players.

Just because you lead a horse to water, you can’t make it drink.

Surrender flags? No a hefty dose of realism, methinks. We might somehow turn it around on Thursday but for that to happen Fulham would need to be as bad as we were tonight.

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    We're really going to struggle now. We've some some players on very decent money, we need to keep the basis of the squad together while rebuilding. It's a big job and we're going to be lumbered with Paterson etc who don't really suit any style of play.
    Possibly. I've seen signs of hope under Harris that he knows how to turn us into a team with a more footballing approach. I also think the world has changed in the last few months and just keeping the club going will be a major success over the next few years. I don't think Premiership money is any help at all with that task - it just gets sucked up by inflated wages.

Harris was brought in to build bridges from the academy to the first team. This is what I am now looking forward to seeing happen as it is the only way I think we're going to succeed as a club in the new financial situation facing football and the UK.

Roll on next season - looking forward to it already

Re: CARDIFF CITY v FULHAM. Matchday thread

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Only consolation is that Swansea will not beat Fulham
    I know it’s not over yet but nobody really thought they’d beat Brentford and I can remember nobody thought they’d beat Reading in the playoff final all those years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    Surrender flags? No a hefty dose of realism, methinks. We might somehow turn it around on Thursday but for that to happen Fulham would need to be as bad as we were tonight.

StT.
    <><
    I agree with your second part, however, there are folks talking about next season's Championship campaign while we still have another leg in this tie, I very much doubt the Jack's or their team took this defeatist attitude into the last game of the season having to not only win but to also overturn a five goal difference

This is sadly the difference between the two clubs, we lack self belief and believe we have no business playing in the top tier

UtSL.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Splott-light... View Post
    I agree with your second part, however, there are folks talking about next season's Championship campaign while we still have another leg in this tie, I very much doubt the Jack's or their team took this defeatist attitude into the last game of the season having to not only win but to also overturn a five goal difference

This is sadly the difference between the two clubs, we lack self belief and believe we have no business playing in the top tier

UtSL.
    <><
    Yep - that's me. Normally I'd agree with you about having a positive attitude, and football has a habit of producing the unexpected, but I can't think of a single player for us tonight who won their personal battles - other than perhaps Tomlin. At this moment in time Fulham are out of our reach barring a miracle.

That doesn't mean we won't be playing them next year. If we are then I think they'll be in trouble as their best players are unlikely to want to hang around for another Championship campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Possibly. I've seen signs of hope under Harris that he knows how to turn us into a team with a more footballing approach. I also think the world has changed in the last few months and just keeping the club going will be a major success over the next few years. I don't think Premiership money is any help at all with that task - it just gets sucked up by inflated wages.

Harris was brought in to build bridges from the academy to the first team. This is what I am now looking forward to seeing happen as it is the only way I think we're going to succeed as a club in the new financial situation facing football and the UK.

Roll on next season - looking forward to it already
    Ah 1 early goal and it's game on. We've started well in both games v Fulham and tailed off. We should have been 2 up tonight but we weren't and we can't afford to let that happen on Thursday.

Let's hope Harris continues taking us forward.

UtSL.
    <><
    You would have to be a supreme optimist to think that City will beat Fulham by a 3 goal margin on Thursday! I don't believe that CCFC has no business playing in the PL, I just believe this City team has no business playing in the PL. It would be a complete humiliation, even if we somehow managed marginally more points than Derby did. The blessing from tonight is that we won't face a defeat by the Jacks. Even if they get past Brentford, they won't beat this Fulham side unless they manage to orchestrate another sending off.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Ah 1 early goal and it's game on. We've started well in both games v Fulham and tailed off. We should have been 2 up tonight but we weren't and we can't afford to let that happen on Thursday.

Let's hope Harris continues taking us forward.
    I'll be watching the game in hope as always. As you say an early goal for us would make it interesting, and we should have had at least one tonight. Fingers crossed...

Lot of surrender flags being waved on here tonight

We weren't great and it's a MOUNTAIN to climb on Thursday but Men Of Harlech an' all that...

Ya, Pete, all it takes is a bit of Julie Andrews, escaping the Nazi’s !!!!

“Climb Every Mountain”

UtSL.
    <><
    Hi bro. I'm certainly not a defeatist and dafter things have happened in football. However do you see our manager having the tactical nous to set up his team correctly to win 3-0 at Fulham?

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    You would have to be a supreme optimist to think that City will beat Fulham by a 3 goal margin on Thursday! I don't believe that CCFC has no business playing in the PL, I just believe this City team has no business playing in the PL. It would be a complete humiliation, even if we somehow managed marginally more points than Derby did. The blessing from tonight is that we won't face a defeat by the Jacks. Even if they get past Brentford, they won't beat this Fulham side unless they manage to orchestrate another sending off.
    I am an optimist, we weren't very good tonight and it's nigh on impossible to turn the ties around with a 3 goal reply, however, 2 goals and a clean sheet takes it to penalties...

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Ya, Pete, all it takes is a bit of Julie Andrews, escaping the Nazi’s !!!!

“Climb Every Mountain”
    C'MON CITYYYYYYYY!!!!

Hi bro. I'm certainly not a defeatist and dafter things have happened in football. However do you see our manager having the tactical nous to set up his team correctly to win 3-0 at Fulham?

StT.
    <><
    2-0, clean sheet and penalties.. LETS GO!!!

Jesus never threw the towel in when faced with a growing crowd while in possession of just two fish

StT.
    <><

I (and Splottparker), seen us win 5-1 at Craven Cottage, after conceding first .

“THOSE WERE THE DAYS MY FRIEND”

Jesus never threw the towel in when faced with a growing crowd while in possession of just two fish

We won’t get the ball off them for long enough to score 2..

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    ok, let's not bother then...

OK. Potential for turning this around. The only way this happens for me is that we risk Sanderson at right back again so that Bacuna, Ralls and Vaulks can impose some control on midfield. We then use NML, Hoilett and Tomlin as our main attackers, with the midfield all given licence to rotate in support. We start with no number 9.

I don't think we can afford the number of chances Glatzel needs to score and he doesn't do enough of the other things you expect from a 9 to warrant a place on the pitch.

At least this system should confuse Fulham for a while - just long enough for us to score 3 goals before shutting Fulham out for the rest of the match

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    OK. Potential for turning this around. The only way this happens for me is that we risk Sanderson at right back again so that Bacuna, Ralls and Vaulks can impose some control on midfield. We then use NML, Hoilett and Tomlin as our main attackers, with the midfield all given licence to rotate in support. We start with no number 9.

I don't think we can afford the number of chances Glatzel needs to score and he doesn't do enough of the other things you expect from a 9 to warrant a place on the pitch.

At least this system should confuse Fulham for a while - just long enough for us to score 3 goals before shutting Fulham out for the rest of the match
    I love it, Fulham know what to expect from a Cardiff City side, switch it up and it may confuse just long enough for us to get a foot back in this competition

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    We haven’t got the players to play tippy tappy football.

Pack, supposedly our best passer tried the short passing game and gave it away I don’t know how many times.

You can’t just make players better at a trait. Fulham have spent years buying players of that mould. We’ve spent it buying athletic, strong players.

Just because you lead a horse to water, you can’t make it drink.
    I know what you mean (look at Flint!!!) but I don’t agree that players can only play in certain way (they ARE professional footballers after all!)

We have enough players of a decent enough footballing ability not to have to resort to Neanderthal hoof it long and hope for the best football.

And the decision to play that way, in massively stark contrast to the other teams in the play offs, lies at Harris’ door.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I know what you mean (look at Flint!!!) but I don’t agree that players can only play in certain way (they ARE professional footballers after all!)

We have enough players of a decent enough footballing ability not to have to resort to Neanderthal hoof it long and hope for the best football.

And the decision to play that way, in massively stark contrast to the other teams in the play offs, lies at Harris’ door.
    Harris is changing things. If we went completely total possession football, we'd have got stuffed in loads of games this season. They've spent the last 3 seasons lumping it at every opportunity. There's a definite improvement in style of play. Harris has spent no money and has actually cut the budget. If he didn't get us in the top 6, it would be a failure, now we've got beaten by a team that spent 50m this season alone, he's a failure? Get a grip.

Dreadful performance.

We have a massive inferiority complex playing Fulham and always give them way too much respect. Was obvious what was going to happen. Bar the 4-2 in the prem when we actually attacked them as we had no choice after going 1-0 down, we never do. Didn’t lay a glove on them at home in the promotion season. That 1-0 away in the Prem was dreadful. Couldn’t see them off with an extra man after arter sent off and dreadful a few weeks ago against them.

Why we give that defence so much respect is beyond me. Rubbish tonight tbh.

Let’s face it - in the unlikely event of a promotion, Warnock would be insufferable, banging on about how he built the team and claiming another promotion! 😉

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Let’s face it - in the unlikely event of a promotion, Warnock would be insufferable, banging on about how he built the team and claiming another promotion! 
    lol. True!