+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: FT: CARDIFF CITY 0 - 2 FULHAM. Matchday thread

Re: CARDIFF CITY v FULHAM. Matchday thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I’m sorry but making excuses for Fulham,
    BRENTFORD and the JB’s being better placed for success than us, a Premier League side last year, is laughable!

How can Brentford bringing in skilful players over the last few years or Swansea having a superior scouting network, be reasons for them being better than us?

I’m not having a go at you Q Monky but I just don’t think that those teams have such significantly superior players than ours. I just don’t. I think that our players are at least as good as theirs.
    I'm not sure but haven't Fulham kept the same squad as last year's ? In midfield we had Arter, Reid, Gunnarson, Camarasa, Damour, Ralls. We've now got Ralls.

Re: FT: CARDIFF CITY 0 - 2 FULHAM. Matchday thread

Having said all what I have I am looking forward to next season and very optimistic in this league.

I would have taken promotion and all the financial up side it brings of course but fear we would have been even weaker going into it than last time we were there with a much older squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Absolutely, trying to do everything on the cheap is a mug's game. I'm actually not too displeased we're not going up. Tan would not spend any money yet again and we'd be humiliated.
    It would be pointless.

Poor second half, but Fulham are simply a better side with better players.

Still think Neil and the players have done fantastic this season.

Harris has done a brilliant job. Weve finished 5th. We are definitely trying to play more football.

We were beaten by a better team and if the early chances had gone in we may have even got a positive result.

The good thing is we kick off again soon. Hopefully we can get in a striker and we go again.

Re: CARDIFF CITY v FULHAM. Matchday thread

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I'm not sure but haven't Fulham kept the same squad as last year's ? In midfield we had Arter, Reid, Gunnarson, Camarasa, Damour, Ralls. We've now got Ralls.
    Other than loans expiring the only big player that went is Sessegnon, they've also added to their squad with Knockaert, Reed, Arter, Cavaleiro, Onomah, Hector and Decordove-Reid. Compare that to what we did in the summer.

Interesting take by many people about next season, I'd prefer to take the chance that's been created this season than gamble on what might happen next season. We've just finished 5th. Do people think we'll suddenly become a top 2 side next season. We've overachieved this season, unless we do something radical and sign a handful of class players, we'll struggle to make the top 6 next season.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Other than loans expiring the only big player that went is Sessegnon, they've also added to their squad with Knockaert, Reed, Arter, Cavaleiro, Onomah, Hector and Decordove-Reid. Compare that to what we did in the summer.
    Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    It would be pointless.
    You're possibly right but I fancy we might sneak the odd draw. A record low would be on the cards though.

The biggest playoff semi final margin win over the last 25 years happened when we lost 5-0 over two legs to West Ham. Anyone else reckon we can beat this record?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    The biggest playoff semi final margin win over the last 25 years happened when we lost 5-0 over two legs to West Ham. Anyone else reckon we can beat this record?
    6-0 win on Thursday, simple. Pack will score 3, the rest own goals

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Interesting take by many people about next season, I'd prefer to take the chance that's been created this season than gamble on what might happen next season. We've just finished 5th. Do people think we'll suddenly become a top 2 side next season. We've overachieved this season, unless we do something radical and sign a handful of class players, we'll struggle to make the top 6 next season.
    Absolutely, far far easier and more likely to have a stormer at Fulham on Thursday than to come out better after another 46 game season. It was the same last season, with 10 matches left people were looking forward to the following season in the championship and getting promoted again.

Compare it to what we have done in roughly the last 8 transfer windows even.

What the summer will show if we start with the hard luck stories and 'couldn't get the transfer across the line' excusesis that it is certainly the transfer committee that are the issue rather than the manager and the targets they identify.

Having said that I don't think we would have spent a great deal pre Covid and it has given them a tailor made excuse not to spend a penny.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Compare it to what we have done in roughly the last 8 transfer windows even.

What the summer will show if we start with the hard luck stories and 'couldn't get the transfer across the line' excusesis that it is certainly the transfer committee that are the issue rather than the manager and the targets they identify.

Having said that I don't think we would have spent a great deal pre Covid and it has given them a tailor made excuse not to spend a penny.
    Fulham have spent 50m and have people like Mitro on 100k a week. I'm glad we haven't taken that gamble.

Overachieved.?

Heard this when we finished 2nd and got promoted.

Now weve overachieved in 5th.

After 46 games you are where you deserve to me.

So improvements and why cant we kick on?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Overachieved.?

Heard this when we finished 2nd and got promoted.

Now weve overachieved in 5th.

After 46 games you are where you deserve to me.

So improvements and why cant we kick on?
    It's hard to do. There's no guarantee you can improve and there's a lot of teams that have underachieved and will spend money. A lot of our players are getting into their 30s.

I don't think there's a right answer to what would be best for Cardiff next season but I think we need at least another season at this level to make the playing style changes we need. It's also by far the better division for entertainment even if the quality is not as good as the Prem.

On a selfish note I do not wish to bear a whole season of (possibly) watching us being condescended to on the TV every game we play if we're not allowed into the ground. The Premier League is obnoxious enough without having paid for the privilege of suffering that every match day.

So I watched tonight hoping we'd win as I always do but not unhappy that we're unlikely to progress now.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    I don't think there's a right answer to what would be best for Cardiff next season but I think we need at least another season at this level to make the playing style changes we need. It's also by far the better division for entertainment even if the quality is not as good as the Prem.

On a selfish note I do not wish to bear a whole season of (possibly) watching us being condescended to on the TV every game we play if we're not allowed into the ground. The Premier League is obnoxious enough without having paid for the privilege of suffering that every match day.

So I watched tonight hoping we'd win as I always do but not unhappy that we're unlikely to progress now.
    Get up, take the money, rebuild, take your medicine and hope we manage to stay there. It's going to be hard to rebuild with no budget and an ageing squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    It's hard to do. There's no guarantee you can improve and there's a lot of teams that have underachieved and will spend money. A lot of our players are getting into their 30s.
    The time to rebuild was this summer, but we had Warnock, so that was never going to happen. Now we have less money and an older squad

The time to rebuild was this summer, but we had Warnock, so that was never going to happen. Now we have less money and an older squad
    We couldn't do a complete rebuild when the best time to bounce back is straight away. Flint and Whyte have been disasters (Flint being entirely predictable) but we lost some big players for nothing. Gunnar, Camarasa, After and Manga went for 3.5m combined.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Get up, take the money, rebuild, take your medicine and hope we manage to stay there. It's going to be hard to rebuild with no budget and an ageing squad.
    Can't disagree with that but I'm trying to imagine where any joy will be found in a Premiership season where we can't attend many of the games and we're going to get a good kicking too. I'm depressed at the thought of it to be honest.

We may also get turned over in the Championship but at least I'll go to watch City TV knowing we have a chance in every match.

Harris got it wrong tonight. How can you pick Pack against a mobile Fulham team?

City had a couple of chances in the first 20 mins but then never looked like creating an opportunity. Basically we never turned up. Ralls spent much of the game doing 2 players' running and doing Pack's work. Harris must be the only person who would put Ralls in the #10 role for last 20 mins? We needed him playing his natural game in the centre of midfield, Mr Harris.

Pack was at fault for the 1st goal. Smithies at fault for 2nd; gave too much space to his left.

This was one game we could have done with Bacuna, Ralls and Vaulks starting in a midfield 3 to close them down. We dropped off so far and gave them so much space it was unbelievable.

At least we wont have to see our manager trying to pit his wits against PL managers next season.

I know we were shocking and barely made it a contest but one last thought ... "Here endeth the the Sky Fulham love-in. It was sickening wall-to-wall drooling."

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Can't disagree with that but I'm trying to imagine where any joy will be found in a Premiership season where we can't attend many of the games and we're going to get a good kicking too. I'm depressed at the thought of it to be honest.

We may also get turned over in the Championship but at least I'll go to watch City TV knowing we have a chance in every match.
    We're really going to struggle now. We've some some players on very decent money, we need to keep the basis of the squad together while rebuilding. It's a big job and we're going to be lumbered with Paterson etc who don't really suit any style of play.

Lot of surrender flags being waved on here tonight

We weren't great and it's a mountain to climb on Thursday but Men Of Harlech an' all that...

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    I wanted sixth but if we missed out I wouldn't have been too distraught as I could see something like this happening in the play offs coming a mile off.

It is just the manner of the defeat. Even at 1-0 it seemed like we were still settling for it.
    Yes Fulham were good but a lack of any enthusiastic pressing makes these sort of teams look that much better.
    Yes, we might have conceded another and it would have been game over but we could well have nicked one back.
    As it is we conceded anyway with our lacklustre performance and the tie is dead in the water anyway.

I can take losing but not giving it a good go is unforgivable.
    It was a bit timid in the end. I felt at 1-0 we would be fortunate to end that way. Maybe the players felt the same and go again on Thursday. The 2nd goal has killed the tie. The lack of basic skill seems the main issue. We have had our moments this season but the ball is like a hot potato. If you have 30% possession, your luck is going to run out eventually.