+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Anyone remember the Boys Enclosure In the old Grange End?

Anyone remember the Boys Enclosure In the old Grange End?

Always loved the boys enclosure in the old wooden Grange End at NP. My dad was always working and couldn’t take me to football but the boys enclosure meant it didn’t matter. I could go with other school friends which, to be honest, was much better anyway.

Told my youngest about it, an 11 year old, and he would love it if they had one at the CCS.

Re: Anyone remember the Boys Enclosure In the old Grange End?

Yes got pulled out of there due to crushing in the Arsenal FA Cup game in January 1969. 55,000 there that day.

Not wooden down that low in The Grangetown End, it was the old compact ash terracing. Remember the old black fella in a trench coat, fag permanently hanging out of the side of his gob with his son sat on the long crash bar with the chain link fence below it (which separated the boys enclosure from the terracing behind).

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Not wooden down that low in The Grangetown End, it was the old compact ash terracing. Remember the old black fella in a trench coat, fag permanently hanging out of the side of his gob with his son sat on the long crash bar with the chain link fence below it (which separated the boys enclosure from the terracing behind).
    Didn’t take us long to GRADUATE to the railway sleepers at the back, did it Steve

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Didn’t take us long to GRADUATE to the railway sleepers at the back, did it Steve
    Oh no, couldn’t wait to get up the back

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Maeterlinck View Post
    Always loved the boys enclosure in the old wooden Grange End at NP. My dad was always working and couldn’t take me to football but the boys enclosure meant it didn’t matter. I could go with other school friends which, to be honest, was much better anyway.

Told my youngest about it, an 11 year old, and he would love it if they had one at the CCS.
    Night games in the winter in the Grange End, now that's atmosphere!

I remember it. kind of. It was like a cage in the middle towards the front right?

I remember the wooden upper. god it used to bounce with energy and still of piss

I remember the dad & son

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I remember the wooden upper. god it used to bounce with energy and STILLof piss

I don’t think we used to distill the piss

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Yes got pulled out of there due to crushing in the Arsenal FA Cup game in January 1969. 55,000 there that day.
    Dear god, my feet never touched the floor that day & I can't remember seeing much of the game. Just stuck in a heaving swaying mass of tall noisy people smelling of stale beer (no lager in them days). The game that got me hooked as a City fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Dear god, my feet never touched the floor that day & I can't remember seeing much of the game. Just stuck in a heaving swaying mass of tall noisy people smelling of stale beer (NO LAGER IN THEM DAYS) . The game that got me hooked as a City fan.
    I think you’ll find a lot of the younger element, were drinking this :——

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carling_Black_Label

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I think you’ll find a lot of the younger element, were drinking this :——

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carling_Black_Label
    We were the younger element then....personally I think any lager is a dreadful drink and did in those distant days, it would have been Brains Dark for me then.

We were the younger element then....personally I think any lager is a dreadful drink and did in those distant days, it would have been Brains Dark for me then.
    Same here, unless it was a shitty pint, then it would be a Brown Top, or who remembers the old pint bottles of Brain's Brown Ale. ??