+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2nd leg tactics

Re: 2nd leg tactics

I know playing Patterson isn't a popular choice for some but taking on Fulham at their own game is a mistake. Other than the centre backs (and Mitrovic who I don't think will start on Thursday, why risk him) they aren't a big side so we need an industrious midfield three of Vaulks, Bacuna and Ralls and the physicality of Patterson and revert to a Neil Warnock style approach for this game.

Let's see how they deal with an aerial bombardment.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    Who are our top 11 scorers? Play them.
    Here's the team
    GK Paterson
    DF NML Morrison, Flint Hoilett
    DMF Vaulks Ralls
    MF Tomlin Ward Murphy
    CF Glatzel

Unfortunately, as much as I don't want to, we will have to play Sanderson at right back, as we desperately need Bacuna in midfield.

Smithies

Sanderson, Morrison, Nelson, Bennett

Pack

Bacuna Vaulks Ralls

Tomlin

Glatzel (or Hoilett)

They got 2 big centre halfs, so playing high balls is useless, especially to Glatzel.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    I know playing Patterson isn't a popular choice for some but taking on Fulham at their own game is a mistake. Other than the centre backs (and Mitrovic who I don't think will start on Thursday, why risk him) they aren't a big side so we need an industrious midfield three of Vaulks, Bacuna and Ralls and the physicality of Patterson and revert to a Neil Warnock style approach for this game.

We tried playing Paterson up front against them a few weeks ago. It didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post

Where has this idea that Paterson is good in the air come from?

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    Because he wasn't sick on the aeroplane, when he went on holiday

Our wingers did nothing last night, so I'd be tempted to play a diamond formation if Tomlin is fit to start the game:

Smithies

Bacuna (or Sanderson) Morrison Nelson Bennett

Pack (or Bacuna)

Vaulks Ralls

Tomlin

Glatzel Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    From people watching him was 5th highest last year in pl for aerial battles won, granted he was also 5th for lost but a striker is generally going to lose more than wins so was pretty decent. He is clever with the positions he takes up and when he jumps. Granted he was ineffective in last game against Fulham

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    From people watching him was 5th highest last year in pl for aerial battles won, granted he was also 5th for lost but a striker is generally going to lose more than wins so was pretty decent. He is clever with the positions he takes up and when he jumps. Granted he was ineffective in last game against Fulham
    Probably because we played more long balls than anyone last season, losing as many as he wins suggests he's not that good in the air.

We just need to score first, it will change everything. Fulham will panic

The passing approach will not work. We need to bombard their pelanty area a la Wimbledon. See what may drop to a blue shirt. 2 wingers, 2 strikers.

We’ve got to get the ball off them first, we looked tired after the first 20 minutes on Monday

Start very fast and aggressive and see Glatzel/Hoilett/Mendez/Tomlin/Ralls (any will do) take early chance to go one up.

Wind up Mitrovic and watch him elbow his way to a red card.

Talk nicely to the ref and watch Mozzer finally win a penalty from a set piece into the box. Score pelanty!

Defend like hell.

Watch Pato score from a second deflection off his arse in the third minute of injury time.

Job done!